1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA vs Mexico

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Jun 16, 2002.

Tags:
?

USA vs Mexico

1. USA

28 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Mexico

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

hoopgod:

Germany is a great Soccer power. I say they are right up there with Brazil, England, Argentina, Italy, and Spain when it comes to respect.

Yes, the US hasn't really done anything before in the World Cup. Maybe we Americans are getting excited over nothing, who knows.

However, you would think that 2 "knowledgeable" soccer fans like our German friends are would know that anything can happen in this game and in this tournament.

If I didn't know any better, their attitudes, especially Jovi's, are not only arrogant and pompous but reeks of the classic phrase "act like you have been there before" which obviously the Germans have compared to the US.

However, we will see how it all turns out by the end of this weekend, won't we?

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Hoopgod,

Jovi made a comment asking if they could duplicate their match vs Saudi Arabia which they won 8-0.

If thats not a arrogant remark worthy of responding back to, I'm sorry I don't know what is.

Him and Chiles(it's more jovi, but sir jackie already posted looking ahead to the semis) are predicting a German romp and laughing at us. Like 4-1. It will not happen boys. 1-0 vs Paraguay wasnt very impressive, and its the year of the underdog. I still say US 2 Germany 1.

Overall, I'm so sick and tired of the lack of respect, I mean ScreamingJetRocket said we were the worst team hes ever seen in the round of 8, and then these German fans adding more fuel to the fire. We are a surprise, but a fluke we are not. We beat two of the top teams in the world convincingly. Accept us or keep being ripe for disappointment.

On a side note, hiring Bruce Arena is the best thing we couldve done.

Finally, I end this post with the words of Tommy Smyth: If the US truly decides they want to win a World Cup, their is nothing that can stop them.

#82 DVauthrin, Jun 17, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2002
  3. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

To me, everything the US does from this point on is icing on the cake....we have exceeded expectations, and its safe to say that this has been a great world cup for us!

I just took their posts are pure comedy...i guess that's my brand of comedy...

i woulda responded something stupid like "the olivers (bierhoff,neuville,bierhoff) like the charles dickens novel are lost in this world...the US is Fagin...we're gonna draw the olivers in and make them our b!tches!"

Whoa...that bit of humor sucked. Good thing I didn't post that....

Doh i Just did. ;)

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Let's see on Friday ;).

And AGAIN - I was just pulling your legs when I said let's look ahead at how we will do against Spain and I think the same goes for Jovi...the question if we can top the 8-0 was a friggin' JOKE. Of course we cannot do that. 6-0 or 7-0 maybe, but 8-0? No way :D.

5. The Voice of Reason

ok everyone, simma down........ sima danh nahh!!

all sports involve smack talk. the world cup comes every 4 years. i for the first time in my life can actually talk smack about my favorite sport. the germans who know i respect their comments, also know that everyone here has to talk ****e now, and for the next 3 days, because we may not be able to talk after that. not for 4 more years. and even in 4 years our team may will be better, but it may not play as well.

much love to our German opponents. now go suck on a brotwurst ;)

I am curious however what will Landon Donavans fate if he freakishly scores 2 against germany sending them home only to start play in their top league just months later. how will you Krauts take him?

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Uh, you know they are desperate for something when they have to come up with that again.

One of your worst posts :).

7. Timing

Timing Member

:D

8. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

jovi is typical german overconfidence as I wouldnt expect anything less from him..

I have seen most of the games and germany doesnt scare me...

I hope we kick their a$$..and if they dont I'll apologize and give credit to the germans and you jovi..

at lest WE respect you jovi

I'll save the WWII references for later when it gets really dirty..

9. Jovi

Jovi Member

If we can hurt your feelings by joking about your national team, soccer must be creeping up in your country.

That´s a great sign!

10. PhiSlammaJamma

You can kiss your past goodbye or kiss your ass goodbye. The Americans have kissed their past goodbye. The U.S. is a new football team that can win this whole thing. They have come to play. Germany's calculated style may fall prey to the American's creativity. It may not, but you had better believe that we are now on an even playing field. I wish the Germans lots of luck. They are going to need it.

11. Jovi

Jovi Member

To cut a long story short, a World Cup is about winning and not playing the best soccer.

Brazil would have won over 14 titles then.

I believe that´s the main point you need to understand.

#91 Jovi, Jun 17, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2002
  12. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I'd like to know your opinion on this as well.

13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I figured you guys were kidding Chiles/Jovi, but Hoopgod got on us for returning the favor, that ain't right now is it.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That's kind of like asking "What will you do if Hakeem Olajuwon scores 40 points and gets 25 rebounds in his next game against the Rockets?"... But actually, it happened to us before...Yordan Letchkov (Bulgaria) scored the goal in the world cup 1994 that kicked us out. He was playing for Hamburg at the time. No hostility when he came back.

Concerning Landon Donovan, he needs to prove himself first. I think if he comes to Bayer Leverkusen, they might put him in their second (amateur) team for at least half a year or so. But he is definitely not untalented.

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Stoichov (sp?) seem to get all the press that year but I remember that Letchkov guy as being awesume. A Zindane before there was Zindane. Of course I preface this opinion as knowing little about soccer, and proving this by suggesting the off-sides rule in it sucks (at least as it is now) and/or they should make the goal in the men's game wider and/or higher to boost scoring.

I have to say I doubt the US will win but better to play the Germans (or Italy) than say Brazil or Spain or England IMO. The US has been great about finishing their chances and better in the midfield and defense than I have ever seen them (except maybe 94, except then they just bunkered the whole team in and hoped for scoring on free kicks and the like).

I'll say US 2, Germany 1, but I actually think the score will be the reverse. We definetly could win with a little luck. We did score 3 legit goals on Portugal and 2 legit goals on Mexico, and remember Mexico dominanted Italy only to let Italy tie late. Also, throw out Germany's game against this year's tourney creampuff and they have scored an underwelming 4 goals in 3 game. I am expecting a 1 goal difference in US-Germany.

16. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

:D

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Some of the US support on this thread needs to have their skin thickened. You'd last about 2 minutes in a pick up game B-ball or Soccer before the smack talk had your head. Just consider Bon Jovi and Sir Smacky as the Bill Waltons of BBS -- also think WWF not WW2.

KNOW WHAT YOU NEED...........MORAL COMPASS!!! YOU HAVE NO MORAL COMPASS!!!

3 stars ha! We've got 50...God Bless The U S of A, NASCAR, and Hooters...

:p