1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis: something disturbing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jun 17, 2002.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

"Another complication is Steve Francis, known in Houston as 'the Franchise,' reportedly is urging the Rockets to package the No. 1 pick to the Clippers for Odom and the Clippers' two No. 1 picks."

that's what i read from cc's news on the possibility of ming defecting...now it might just be me...but these kinds of rumors and news about Francis is disturbing me moreso than before. is he afraid of sharing top billing w/ ming? is he afraid he wont' be 'THE MAN'? what's he afraid of? i mean there's that experience vs. potential thing and how francis wants to win NOW (which is understandable b/c we all want to win now). but...i just don't know. last time we cave into his wishes we picked terrence morris. we've gone through discussions about this before, but now it pops back up again. what gives? i dig ming. like many have said 'you can't teach height'. i'm just hoping this is just a rumor and that stevie would love playing w/ ming. otherwise with this trade, i hope we DO get caron butler...that will burst some egos around here.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I think its more of a case of Cat putting a bug in Steve's ear about Odom. I don't think Steve is afraid to share top billing...I think he just wants to win and for whatever the reason is, according to all these different reports, he and Cat seem to think that Ming is not the answer. I guess we'll see.

3. raww

raww Member

You said it yourself.... RUMORS

RAWW

4. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Steve isn't afraid of not being the top dog. He just wants to win and he knows that Odom is already an established player, and is going to be a superstar. Steve knows that Ming will take a while to become a star, and there is a chance that he may never be as good as Odom. Steve just thinks that it would be better for the Rockets to get a solid vet like Odom, instead of Ming, who is a project that could take a long time.

5. steddinotayto

well that's what one of my theories were. i was just hoping that it isn't about either:

1.not having top billing
    2.getting a friend in while putting the team in jeopardy.

i would like to see the rockets improve and actually have a .500 or even a winning record next season...but those kinds of RUMORS isn't pleasant to the ears.

hopefully cat and steve won't make any ultimatums like 'draft yao and we're gone' kind of things.

but that odom/8/12 deal DOES sound interesting with all the talks to butler APPARENTLY slipping.

6. Nomar

Nomar Member

Why would we care about Butler slipping if we do that deal.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Butler won't slip to #8. You could, however, trade with Memphis: #8, #12, #15 for #4, the #15 being the draft pick owed them. Something like that. That is, if the Ming thing falls through, or if we actually never wanted him in the first place (unlikelies), and we do the original ROCKET!!! trades.

But to make a short story long: Butler will be taken in the Top 5.

8. steddinotayto

i had the notion he was still in the top 5 on most people's list that's why.

9. steddinotayto

but west wouldn't do that unless he knew somethin that no one else does (i.e-kobe). with #4, he can still get anybody not named jay williams or yao ming. with #8, #12, #15 you're looking at making some kind of trade since west was brought in to make the grizzlies win NOW.

10. ROXTXIA

That's true about Jerry West, and anything is possible or could happen; I'm just going by what I've read, i.e., West has his eyes on players probably-available late-lottery.

11. Monkey7392

Monkey7392 Member

HOw about #1 for the Odom 8 and 12. 8 we get QWoods, at 12 we get Stoudemire, and 15 we get Nachbar, Man that would give us so much dept.

12. ROXTXIA

Depth, yes, but if the Rox are gonna go with projects, they'll go with a Ming-sized project. We already have NBA sophomore Eddie Griffin.

By the way, Jay Williams is in Houston tomorrow for a workout. I wonder how that game'll be played out.

13. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I don't think the Clipps would offer Odom, and both of their pics just for the number one. We would need to give up some substantial talent or maybe the #15.

14. steddinotayto

depth on potential which isn't always good. i want ming and whomever we get at #15 that could contribute is fine by me.

west IMO will pick wilcox or butler b/c his boy dunleavy won't be there. why would he need another Euro player when he has a pretty good one in gasol? he needs a banger that can score and wilcox can/will do both. why would he pick butler? put him at shooting guard cuz he needs one.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. If Francis didn't want to share top-billing, why would he want Odom? Odom will be an All-Star himself and would surely infringe on Francis' spot as much as Ming would. I doubt he's afraid of that or else he'd be suggesting we should trade the pick for depth.

2. When was it that the Terence Morris pick being a Francis-concession went from being idle rumor to established fact? They had been teammates and we know that Francis recommended we pick him up. But, we also know that the Rockets had been watching him for years and were interested in taking him. We also know he fits a Rudy draft model: guys who were promising early but whose stock dropped late. We have a denial from the Rockets that it had anything to do with appeasing Francis and no evidence that Francis applied any pressure. I think this understanding that the Morris trade was for Francis' sake is based only on an assumption of the worst.

16. Live

Live Member

Old news, sounds like somebody's turning over every rock they see.

BTW, Francis wanted the Rockets to sign Webber last summer. He didn't exactly go crazy when the Rockets decided to pass on him. Granted, Francis didn't know that the season would bottom out like it did, but it's still something to keep in mind.

I don't think Steve would demand a trade if the Rockets kept the pick and selected Ming.

Non-issue.

17. steddinotayto

1. my opinion: francis is better than odom. odom's got the versatility down pat, but when you need offense you don't choose odom over francis and i think francis knows this. he wants a good player (odom) but not a player that will outshine him. but that's just my opinion IF (BIG IF) it's a case of 'i want to be da man'. otherwise, this is just a failed hypothesis.

else he'd be suggesting we should trade the pick for depth.

not picking ming and trading away the #1 for odom,#8 and etc (as rumored) is kinda trading for depth :D sorry to be a smartass but heh...that's what i perceived.

2. When was it that the Terence Morris pick being a Francis-concession went from being idle rumor to established fact? They had been teammates and we know that Francis recommended we pick him up. But, we also know that the Rockets had been watching him for years and were interested in taking him. We also know he fits a Rudy draft model: guys who were promising early but whose stock dropped late. We have a denial from the Rockets that it had anything to do with appeasing Francis and no evidence that Francis applied any pressure. I think this understanding that the Morris trade was for Francis' sake is based only on an assumption of the worst.

I apologize for my comment earlier and thanks for clearing it up. I just had the notion that half (if not most) of the reason we picked up morris was b/c of francis but now i no better. I apologize.

18. Eddie!Eddie!

Eddie!Eddie! Member

I think Steve wants Odom because he fits in well with there style of play right now, u know the run and gun stuff. When he sees how nice it will be having a real center in the middle he and The Cat will both be finewith the pick.

19. dave feitl

dave feitl Member

SHAQ-KOBE!!

FRANCIS-CAT-ODOM?

Which one is going to guard SHAQ?

WHAT these guys can't run a fast break without ODOM?

We want to win now?

Look at how Shaq dominates and it still took him several years to win it all, just like Jordan,Dream,Dr.J, and if he's smart Francis.

Come on Stevie, realize you gotta have a big guy to compete in this league.

DID YOU NOT LEARN ANYTHING IN JUNIOR COLLEGE?

Rockets MGMNT want to win now too, but the future of this team is still evolving.

WELCOME THE MISSING PIECES or continue to have higher expectations than reality will ever permit.

What's scarier Ming finishing a break or STEVE,CAT,or ODOM?

MING IMO.

20. steddinotayto

some harsh words there dave feitl

i was just asking if there were any truths to what i read that's all. personally i would pick ming over odom/draft picks...but if management decides to pull that trade i would be pretty upset but not to the point where i wouldn't support my guys anymore.