1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA vs Mexico

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Jun 16, 2002.

Tags:
?

USA vs Mexico

1. USA

28 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Mexico

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well I am sure our little 3-2 win over them in the opening match had a little something to do with it.

:)

What ever happened to Alan Shearer, is he still playing?

DaDakota

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Damn, I wished that these games would come on at a decent time...:(

I'm with Surf...I would have loved to have seen the greatest win in American soccer history but not at the expense of a workday.

Oh well, I do have a VCR, so I guess I could have taped it.:(

But, I'm gonna to tape the game with Germany.

SJC, Uter boy, er Jovi:

Keep underestimating us like Portugal and Mexico did. I'm sure that the Germans will have no respect for the Americans after their asses are sent packing.

Hell, we have come this far, that I like our chances.

I guarantee you one thing...they may act like the US is who they want to play, but privately, they are not happy about playing the "wild card" of the World Cup (I liked that VOR).

#62 Manny Ramirez, Jun 17, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2002
  3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

OIL OF OLAY OLAY OLAY OLAAAAAY

4. PhiSlammaJamma

God damn. What do you think O'Brien was thinking. Seriously. That has to be the worst decision by anyone ever. You just don't do that. A hand ball is a hand ball. There is no doubt about it. How the ref missed that is beyond my comprehension. It was very deliberate and very obvious. I almost felt bad for Mexico because that is just not right. What made him do it I wonder? That's worse than Agoos.

Still, GO USA! Our goals were perefect. McBride is becoming a huge player. Friedel has been a god. We owe the Germans from the last world cup. Let's be more agressive this year and lay it on the line.

USA has stopped it's last 4 penalty kicks. Has that ever happened before?

5. DaDakota

Phi,

Watch it again, it was not deliberate at all, he was marking his man, and the guy jumped underneath his arm forcing his hand up.....

Even O' Brien admitted it was a lucky call for the USA, and sometimes luck happens.

Guess it makes up for the poor call we got on Donovan's equalizer against Poland.

Either way, I will take it and run...better to be lucky then good sometimes.

DaDakota

6. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion.

7. DaDakota

Will,

We are not the champions in soccer..................YET

;)

DaDakota

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Anyone know if they rioted in Mexico as expected? ;)

Anyway, for those of you that missed it the first time, it will be re-airing at 12:30 central (15 minutes) on ESPN2.

9. Jovi

Jovi Member

I just hope Agoos will be playing. I don´t think his injury will keep Arena from leaving him out of the starting eleven.

Agoos has been a consistent scoring threat in every game.

Well, hopefully the three-time champs won´t under-estimate the US boys. That´s the only thing that bugs me.

As a fan, I can joke about the margin of the win. I don´t think Oli Kahn will do the same mistake.

4-1 Germany.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Excellent team BBS through our jinx free posting we have moved the US into the Qt's. A single statement of gross overconfidence by a Mexican fan caused the ref to judge the handball unintentional thus stopping a Mex rally which would have given them the game.
    Seriously though American soccer needed this win to really get everyones attention especially here in the US- its particularly good for the MLS which will see more revenue, more high caliber players, and more fan support $$$!

Flick On!

11. Jovi

Jovi Member

The US has just lost the game.

The German national team will win the quarterfinal for legendary Fritz Walter, the best and most popular German soccer hero of all time. Walter died earlier this day at the age of 81. RIP.

12. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

How soon we forget that loss to Wales, eh Jovi, SJC?

13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

For one of the worst German teams in years, their fans haven't changed a bit.

SJC, Jovi, Get over yourselves.

Germany will not roll the USA as you think. Also, if your players are laughing at their fortune, let them laugh all the way back to Berlin.

As for O' Brien's mistake. I don't want to hear it. A number of the fouls and cards made it seem like the ref wanted the favorite, Mexico, to have a chance.

Like Blanco getting only a freakin yellow after he headbutted Masteroeni.

My prediction for USA-Germany, 2-1 USA.

We are rolling and playing very well save Poland. Also whoever as a German fan wants Agoos in, you are really desperate aren't you.

Hope you like the trip home, Germany. Even playing for a legendary coach won't win it for you(my condolences go out to him). My two Men of the Match-Brad Friedel, and Landon Donovan(from his Bayer Leverkusen connection)

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Who here thinks that if the US beats Germany that keeley or someone else changes Jovi's title to "laughingstock" or something like that in German??

For someone who is not in good graces with the Admins here, you sure are an arrogant SOB.

Now I see why keeley changed your title......

15. Kimble14

Kimble14 Contributing Member

Let's look at some recent German history in the World Cup (oops, I'm sorry, "FIFA World Cup™"):
    • In 1994, Germany advances to the quarterfinals, where they play an unfancied Bulgarian side. Result: Germany 1, Bulgaria 2.
    • In 1998, Germany advances to the quarterfinals, where they play an unfancied Croatian side. Result: Germany 0, Croatia 3.
    • In 2002, Germany advances to the quarterfinals, where they play an unfancied American side.
    (So many tough choices here. Do I go for the straightforward "I don't think there'll be a problem," with an optional winky-face? Or the understated "Germany's form could use a touch of improvement in the round of 8"? Maybe I could extrapolate from the scoring data and come up with a prediction of USA 4, Germany -1? Or even a humble "Granted, we don't have a Hagi, a Stoitchkov, a Prosinecki, or a Suker, but I think there's a chance we could come up with a surprising result"? Hmm. . . . I'll just go with my first instinct, sarcasm.)

Needless to say, I'm shaking in my boots.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He's retired, at least from the national team.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Talking about heart:

When you watch the game, look at where the German players' hearts are. You will see three stars, one for each championship. It will take the USA a while until they will have three stars there :).

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Hey Manny, it's all just trash-talking in good fun... :rolleyes:

19. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Golly, you learn something new everyday. I thought that represented the number of failed Reichs.

20. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

dude this thread sucks. i'm all for US...but u crazy SOBs are criticizing Jovi and SJC just cuz they support their side and they are confident in their abilities to win? Respect it...they are Germany. They're champions before, and they can do it again.

What has the US done? Jack crap.

I really hope I'm reading too much into ur posts and they're all just in good fun...

In saying that...USA USA USA!!!