1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocket Fans: What Are We Clinging To?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ima_drummer2k, Jun 30, 2009.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

There seems to be a faction on this bbs that just refuses to admit it’s time to move on and rebuild. This Tracy/Yao + role players experiment has been a miserable failure.

My question is what exactly is keeping us from understanding this? What are we clinging so tightly to?

Tracy scoring 13 points in 33 seconds?
    A YouTube video of Yao saying “you can’t ****ing stop me”?
    Bobby Sura and Jon Barry holding up 3 fingers after hitting a 3?
    A 22-game winning streak? (which was rendered utterly meaningless once we lost in the 1st round again…)
    A couple of fluke playoff wins against the lakers? (admit it….we caught them napping in Games 4 and 6)
    7 MORE years of “just wait until we are healthy”?

It’s one thing if we are a few years removed from a championship like the spurs or celtics. But this team has won a grand total of ONE playoff series in the last 10 years.

I, for one, want a new team identity. It’s time to let go of this “just wait until we are healthy!!” fantasy once and for all. It’s never going to happen by standing down or trying to ‘re-tool’.

3 people like this.
  2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

What a debbie downer. Are you even a Rockets fan?

Nothing is set in stone yet about Yao, it's all speculation. Quit believing everything you read.

But yes, the Tracy/Yao era is over. Not because of Yao (at least yet), but because I fully believe we will move Tracy before he ever suits up.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'm with you. Time to rebuild and salvage what we can.

RIP - “just wait until we are healthy!!”

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

It’s one thing if we are a few years removed from a championship like the spurs or celtics. But this team has won a grand total of ONE playoff series in the last 10 years.

I, for one, want a new team identity. It’s time to let go of this “just wait until we are healthy!!” fantasy once and for all. It’s never going to happen by standing down or trying to ‘re-tool’.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind rebuilding but either way I want Gortat because we can grow with him in the middle through the tough times till we get good again.

5. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Waiting 3-5 plus years to rebuild. That is the reason. We want to win now! :D

6. redao

redao Member

If it is up to me, I'd rebuild this team long time ago .....

TMAC and Yao are not the players that you can build a team even if they are healthy.

7. tfvic

tfvic Member

forget you *******...
    your not a true rockets fan!
    go rockets baby! go rockets! :)

8. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

lol it's funny cause it's true. and quite sad.

9. Hou.SportsFan

Hou.SportsFan Contributing Member

What does being 14 yrs removed from a championship have to do with it? I agree that the whole "if only the Rockets were healthy" slogan is getting old, and rebuilding would not be devastating, but the last couple years have shown fans something to be excited about, the Rockets made the playoffs, they won 22 games in a row, and last season, fluke or not they made the second round and took the champions to a 7 game series. For me this is improvement and it is not so easy to just say we had some great things happen only last season but who cares lets just start over.

10. alcatrazpsycho

What are you implying? That people who want to move on for the better aren't fans? :confused:
    Then again there is a fine line between being a realist/statistician and being a fan.

I guess Daryl Morey isn't a Rockets fan then.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ban this POS Clutch.

12. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

This thread may only be 2 stars, but that kinda does describe the bbs .

13. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I don't care what I'm clinging to now. I'm just trying to figure out what's going to happen.

The one thing I do know is unless Yao retires he'll be in a Rockets uni at some point, and at least through 2010-2011. So WTH does it matter if "it's time to move on"?

Bringing up TMac in the context of Yao's situation is to completely divorce yourself from Les' reality, so good luck with that.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There is nothing wrong in what the OP has said. It's sad to see all this happening,but we have to move on. The sooner the better.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nah... perhaps he should ban you.

16. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

:mad: :mad: :mad:

HOW CAN YOU CALL URSELF A FAN. ur like ima_stupid lol

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Whatever, man. I've been cheering for this team for 30+ years, what about you?

I just long for the days when we as fans could hang our hats on hard fought playoff victories and championships instead of the potential for what might happen if we ever get healthy. Admit it -- that's exactly what we've been doing for the last 6 years.

I'm not discounting the team's play this year. Far from it. I had more fun watching them this year than I've had in YEARS. I just think this was THE YEAR. It was the year we were supposed to prove we could stay healthy and overcome the 1st round demons all the way to the Finals. But what happened? Both of our franchise players go down (it's always one of them) and we stay home yet again.

This team's nucleus needs to change. Along with it, it's identity.

18. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

I would not call it a miserable failure, but you're right - the era did not work out. Yao is a great guy to root for, I will continue to do so. But expecting different results from the same recipe year in and year out is a delusion. I totally agree with you.

The question is: how would you rebuild? The Yao situation is complex - he is great, fragile, marketable, international, filled with integrity, neutralized with fronting defense...the fact that he is injured almost makes it simpler.

I think there would be a greater chance of rebuilding if any option made better sense than, essentially, prayer. But not much does, at least to me.

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

What's more fascinating to me at this moment is not how utterly brilliant that opening post was but that there is somehow walking, breathing, functioning human beings questioning its axiomatic premise.

1 person likes this.
  20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I want to state for the record that I completely disagree with this specific part, but I do agree with the general premise -- it's spot on.

1 person likes this.