1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ten reasons why rebuilding won't be as awful as it sounds.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Jun 29, 2009.

1. dantonv08

dantonv08 Member

Is there any chance Yao retires if this is true???

2. eedgejr

eedgejr Contributing Member

If Yao's career is over (and that is a unsubstantiated at this point) then aren't their clauses to take his salary off the cap at least?

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

To the above - hooray! Though I love Shane to death, he is overpaid a bit. It is fantastic that we don't have any anchor-style bad contracts right now if we have to rebuild.

2. 2010 free agent bonanza.
    -->But we're not going to really be a player there. Detroit knew they weren't either, that's why they're rebuilding this summer.

3. Houston is well regarded among NBA players.
    -->But not so much that players flock to us in free agency. They just spend their summers here and/or claim us as their state-income-tax-free residence.

6. Brooks is young.
    7. Von Wafer is young (if he re-signs).
    8. Landry is young.
    -->but are any of them really going to take us somewhere on their own?

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

No, but I believe they will take us somewhere together. Lowry (who's young) and Scola (who's not old) too.

We have as good of a supporting cast as there is right now in the NBA -- and, equally importantly, they all play hard.

We just don't have any stars left.

5. giggity12345

giggity12345 Member

Gortat has solid numbers for his low minutes per game, I really think we could still be a contender with Gortat starting....he would actually get more repounds per game than Yao, he wouldn't score as much but could possibly be in the 10 - 15 ppg range and that isn't horrible. Plus he is more mobile than Yao, and probably a bit better defensively even though he is not as big and could probably do more of the things Adelman likes for his big men to do. I say the season could be saved if we put all of our efforts into signing Gortat, he is a young big man with something to prove because he wants more minutes.

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah and I still sounds awful.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Unlike many others, I don't think the rockets winning revolve around Yao. One thing they have shown is that they have won just as much, if not more without Yao. That being said, Yao is a very good player, but very good is easier to replace than great. You can't replace greatness. Now the rockets need to get rid of the old flatlined players like Shane especially. He does nothing for your team that is retooling. Also, the team might have to throw scola in with battier to get a younger player with upside. It makes no sense to resign artest either. You have to approach this thing with ferocity like orlando and lakers did.

We have been down this road before and came out on the other side and I know when they do it this time, they will do the same. At least this time they will have some good contracts.

8. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

Artest, at best, as the #1 option at best does NOT make for a contender. I'm optimistic but I don't want to be stuck in mediocrity like the Wizards or someone else who is satisfied with just making the playoffs.

9. i3artow i3aller

We're goosed! We're goosed by God!

10. Asian Sensation

Agreed. I suggested we S&T Artest for younger talent/future picks. And we move Shane, Scola, Hayes etc as well and keep AB and Landry unless something spectacular comes along in the Yao injury thread.

11. alcatrazpsycho

Time to end the T-Mac & Yao era and time to start the Rockets era.

Think about it: Both Morey and Adelman inherited T-Mac and Yao; they had very little flexibility in terms of managing the team. Now Morey has full control to mold this team however he pleases. He is not going to disappoint.

Quite frankly, I'm excited to see what he can do, and I think everyone else should be too.

12. tredecimal

tredecimal New Member

When can we start talking about insurance picking up the rest of Yao's contract? Any chance it might happen in time to make signing FAs more possible this year? Or does he have to outright retire for that to happen?

Yao's classy, plays with heart, and is a great 2 quarter offensive presence. That being said, I'm actually relieved at the prospect of the team being rebuilt without him as the focal point. The game is about speed now, it was never about gambling against the fact that human beings get more brittle the bigger they get.

13. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Rebuilding Process

I am not for it but if it is our only option then what will be the process?

- Trade T-mac for future picks and young(er) talent?

- Let Yao walk after his option season?

- Stink for 3 seasons plus?

I just can't even fathom another (let steve franchise mature) saga where we stink it up and get john wall or whoever is in the top part of the lottery next year.

14. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Sura Faints mixed with a little Splash

15. jasonh42

jasonh42 Member

They are saying on ESPN that it could be a small % chance that he is lost for the season and even smaller chance he is done for his career.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That's good news, but BSPN is...BSPN. Still, I want to believe it so I will...for now.

17. faraza84

faraza84 Member

i hope we can get yao to decline his option in 2010, if not oh boy its not gona be pretty. would he retire and save us that awkard moment

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

It's better to bottom out, clear cap space and get some high picks then to win 40 games and take on dumb contracts.

19. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

Agreed X10....don't get me wrong, I love Yao as a professional both on and off the court and he'll definitely go down as a top five favorite Rocket but if this injury is as bad as they're thinking, I hope that he calls it a career.

On the other hand, I'm REALLY looking forward to Morey and Adelman going into the lab and morphing this team into one that fits Adelman's system.

20. Raven

Raven Member

So he can come back and be re-injured, again?

And again?

And again?

It's time to move on. Trying to build a Championship team around a brittle player is a recipe for disaster, which is exactly what this latest news is, a disaster.

And do we really want to be having this same conversation next Summer?

I'm a Rockets fan, not some pathetic loser like Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin, and I am tired of hauling my ass out to the patch every year to see if this is the magical season where Yao stays completely healthy, because it's never going to happen!