1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Draft Buzz : Rockets using Landry to try to acquire lotto pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Trading Landry for a pick, possibly signals that a trade is in the works or was/is agreed upon. I do not see the reason giving up the teams second best PF and spark of the bench if there was not any player coming in to take his place. The pick would most likely be a pg as Morey seems to be impressed with the pg of this draft.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

You may be on to something here. All I keep hearing from locals (Clutch, Friedman, etc) that in all likelihood we will have a pick in tomorrows draft. Well who are we going to trade for that pick? And then of course it depends on where pick, but then who do we take? Ahh can't wait for it all to unravel tomorrow.

3. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I really don't like the way Don Nelson makes his lineups he played Jackson as the starting PF.

4. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I think the Dallas Mavericks don't like Don Nelson's lineups as well.

5. blender

blender Member

Hate to be pessimistic, but I don't imagine there's a lot of interest in Landry from other teams right now. Landry's performance during the playoffs was up and down, and he rarely showed his trademark ability to leap over and outhustle his opponents. You can say the traumatic gunshot incident he went through is to blame and you'd probably be right, but doesn't that just give other teams another reason to not trade for him?

Not saying he's untradeable by any means, but his current value might not be as high as some here figure it to be.

6. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

If he was in the draft I think he would go late lottery so we whould have to package a future 1st and the other team would add a bad contract with the pick.

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

This leaves Earl Clark, DeMar DeRozan and any other top 10 talents that may have dropped right there for the taking. I definitely prefer a McGrady/Landry-for-Amare type trade over this but the idea of essentially swapping Landry for one of those guys is very intriguing too.

9. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

I dont see this swap happening unless the Amare trade happens without Landry. Why would the Rockets give Landry for the 11 pick? ( a weak draft ) If the Amare deal goes as plan then maybe a pg would be taken using the 11th pick. No Amare trade, no sense on losing one of the teams most reliable pf.

10. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

some guys on 610 said Landry is a player that could go top 5 in this years draft. I would definitely agree cause after Blake Griffin there really isn't another real good big guy maybe for the exception of Thabeet. If Jordan Hill could go top 5 in this draft Landry could go as well if he was in it.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Outside of Griffin, who is a legit #1 pick in pretty much any draft, you could make the argument that picks 2-10 are all largely indistinguishable. For that reason, I can see this whole "Landry would be a top 5 pick" stuff. Although, it's probably more just a testament to how weak this draft is.

12. blender

blender Member

Several trade rumors floating around about Landry. I'm getting a strong feeling that one of the scenerios will come true and he'll be gone.

At this point then, the ideal situation for me would be the Stoudemire trade to happen without Landry, and then Carl being traded for an upgrade at backup SG/SF, which would either be a veteran player or NJ's #11 pick or similar.

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

... but wouldn't the Suns insist on Landry as someone to take Amare's spot? They need a 4; who else have they got?

14. Egghead

Egghead Member

15. HOUastrocketexan

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/news/story?page=09DraftBuzz-090625

Latest from espn insider.

POSTED: June 25 -- 10:49 a.m. ET

Chad Ford: Watch out for the Houston Rockets. Sources say they have been really active the past 24 hours, having contacted the Grizzlies, Thunder, Kings and Timberwolves about trying to get into the lottery.

It sound like virtually everyone on Houston's roster is available. Teams report that the Rockets are trying to parlay Tracy McGrady's expiring contract and Aaron Brooks' newfound celebrity status into a big upgrade in Houston. Carl Landry and Shane Battier were also mentioned as possible trade pieces.

The Rockets are also among several teams that will be making a run at Amare Stoudemire. With Shaq gone, expect the Stoudemire rumors to start heating up again.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Probably looking for a PG for Landry and Amare for McGrady/Brooks. Pretty much what everyone is speculating about.

17. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

agree and disagree.

the landry we see today, 2 seasons after he was drafted, with the knowledge that he is still athletic post knee surgery, is not the player the rockets drafted.

landry's last year in purdue he was more of a below the rim player. basically, take away landrys dunks and highlight blocks, and that was his last year in college. solid game, room for improvement, but lots of questions about whether he would regain his athleticism. his stock was low at the time.

so yeah, this version of landry would be a lottery pick this year, but this landry would have been a late lottery pick the year he was drafted too imho.

18. blender

blender Member

Well, it's my ideal situation for Houston, but not so ideal for Phoenix. :)

I do get why the Suns would want both Brooks and Landry in the deal, but it would be a little pricey for the Rockets, especially considering we'd be without a playmaker/facilitator type backcourt player.

19. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Yes, that basically can end the off season transactions of the Rockets, The line up after those deals will be set and ready to challenge for the crown. Granted that everybody is healthy. :confused: