1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the WEST FINALS Game 3 -- Can the Timberwolves get back in this? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN Draft Buzz : Rockets using Landry to try to acquire lotto pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Egghead

Egghead Member

The Rockets are actively hunting for a team willing to trade its lottery pick. Their offer? Carl Landry. I love Landry, but not sure he's worth a lottery pick. Then again, in this draft … maybe.

Exactly what chad ford said in the insider article

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Clarks sounds like either Odom or Charlie V. The former would be great, the latter not so much.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Flynn or Evans or any of the other PGs. I dont know, just depends on who Morey is courting or wants. But this all depends on if we make a deal to move into the top 15.

4. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i remember when watching him play against the blazers in a critical game 4...and bill and clyde said it...when he had to get a rebound in a crucial time, he did...he proved that he could play in the NBA...and at that moment, i knew he has the makings of an all-star...

his jump shot is getting better, as well as his D...

i wouldn't want to do this...

5. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Landry is already 26. He's older than Amare I believe. I don't think his ceiling is that high.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Those are both fair comparisons. Villanueva is a better scorer but Clark has a better handle and looks like he'll be a better defender. Villanueva always struck me as a little soft too. I never got that vibe when I watched Clark play.

7. lawe

lawe Member

Carl for an unknown PG?
    I don't get it...

8. Raven

Raven Member

I don't think Brooks will be traded for a rookie point guard, except maybe Rubio, but even that would surprise me. Trading a known for an unknown just doesn't strike me as something Morey would do.

9. RocketGirl6

RocketGirl6 Member

I come and the board often, but a rumor from ESPN is hard to believe, they did hire Tim Liegler to anaylize the NBA{can't stand him}. Anyway I also have a hard time believing that Morey and Les want to break up the team that helped push the Lakers series to 7, especially after Yao went out, and during the regular season, before Landry got shot, seeing the tag team of him and Scola. But I guess we just have to see what he does

10. blender

blender Member

Morey's been talking about the need for more size in the frontcourt, so my guess is they'll be targeting a 4/5 with size in the draft. All the talk about PG depth might be to increase the Rockets' chance of picking up the guy they want late in the first round.

Either a frontcourt player with size or a wingman, but not a PG.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If we trade Landry straight up for the pick, do we pick up an extra 3 million to use in free agency?

The extra money could be used for Artest, Hedo or how about a combination of CharlieV and Artest. I think getting CharlieV to replace Landry and getting a lottery pick as well as resigning Artest is worth going into luxury tax territory.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Here's the deal that could possibly be made: Landry, Cook, and $3 million to Milwaukee for Gadzuric and their first round pick or possibly even to Washington for their #5 and Etan Thomas. Then we turn around and do a 3 way trade to Memphis and some other team seeking cap relief..........such as Washington.........or possibly the Knicks. Send McGrady out, get back Jaric, the #2, and other bad contracts/players. Send Memphis other expirings (Mobley) and take back more trash from NY/Washington.

Here's another possibility. McGrady to GS for Jamal Crawford, Maggette, Turiaf, and their #7. We then package the #7, Landry, and Cook to Memphis for Jaric and their #2.

Rubio/Lowry
    Crawford/Maggette/Marko
    Battier/Artest
    Yao/Turiaf
    Scola/Hayes/Dorsey

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

i agree if its for Earl Clark, who is bigger and more athletic than landry... :cool:

14. worzel gummidge

The Rockets would still be over the salary cap, leaving them with only the MLE to use.

The salary space created does give the Rockets more room under the
    LT . This they could use to re-sign their own free agents or possibly take on more salary in a trade.

15. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

this trade would be awsome!!!! :D

16. somenobody

somenobody Member

We still have Joey Dorsey if we trade Carl. I hope he can really improve his offensive skill this summer.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thats a lot of maneuvering parts. What happened to Brooks? And in the end, we're stuck with a bunch of long term contracts? Ehh not so much.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No, we do not.

The Rockets are WAY over the salary cap, so even if they shed $3M in salary by trading Landry for a draft pick ($1.8M of so will come back on the books a few days later when the draft pick is signed), there will be no cap room created.

And any thoughts of getting Hedo with just the MLE are ludicrous. Maybe, just maybe, the Rockets could hypothetically get Villanueva if they threw the entire MLE at him (meaning that Von Wafer walks and re-signing Ron Artest will be much more difficult financially) AND promise him a starting spot over Scola (who I think is a better all-around player than Charlie anyway).

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think all-star is a stretch, especially since the league is the deepest it's ever been, maybe in the 90s he'd have a shot, but even then i doubt it...and i honestly don't remember bill and clyde saying that, but i do remember them saying he had "arrived", but as in finally showing up in the series, is that what you're refering to?

20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

All this talk about Dorsey... if Morey is trading into the lottery for a PG, the real reason Morey is confident in trading Landry is he still has Hayes. The guy used to be our starting PF, and can definitely still be a serviceable stopgap 2nd option at PF while Morey looks for other trades to upgrade the PF spot if he loses Landry.