1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Mobley doesn't want to play with Ming: according to David Aldridge

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by j-bone, Jun 12, 2002.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Batman, good take

2. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Soooo true.

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I'd rather take the time to win a championship (if Ming pans out), than win 45-50 games and get trounced in the playoffs (if we get Odom, or whichever bozo Cat wants).

4. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Draft Ming and let cat go.

1.) Mobley+Cato to Miami for Eddie Jones+#10 pick (Borchardt, Stoudmire, Wilcox, or Ely)

2.) Three way deal:
    Houston get: Odom, Keon Clark (S&T)
    Clippers get: Griffin, #15 pick (Hou)
    Toronto gets: Taylor, #12 pick (LAC)

3.) Re-Sign: Williams, Torres

02'~03' lineup:

Yao Ming, #10 pick, Collier
    K. Clark, Thomas, Morris
    Odom, Williams, Rice
    Jones, Torres
    Francis, Norris

4th~6th seed this year, championship next year.

I'd even throw in K.T. to make it happen and then re-sign Willis.

5. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

I don't give a **** what Cuttino thinks is best for this team. Francis either, for that matter. The second this team starts listening to its players for personnel decisions, it's over. And don't get me wrong, I love both of those guys. But, neither of them has reached their potetial, IMO. So, to act like they need the Rockets to trade this pick in order to take the next step, shows lack of character. Cuttino should look in the mirror before he makes comments next time. I'm sure Barkley and Pippen and Olajuwon didn't like "watching him develop" either. And they all put much more time into the league than freakin' Cuttino Mobley. Three of the fifty greatest of all time, on the down side of their careers, invested in Mobley. But he can't wait around another few years for Ming to develop? How many years did Dream put in before he won? Mobley thinks the best years of his life are slipping away! What idiots we have on this team. Griffin, IMO, has the best chance (with J. O'Neal as his main competition) to surpass Dream as the league's all-time shot blocker. Insticts are the key! Francis is already an all-star. Mobley is better than most give him credit for(except himself). Why does Mobley think that adding a veteran player that has never won a championship before, is going to improve this team? Why would Antonio Davis help this team more than the others he's played for?

Mobley, if you're listening, shut up and play the game!! You are in a very lucky situation. You play for a team that believes in you, you play for a team that wants to win, and you play for a team that has a history of loyalty to its players.

Ming is the best player in the draft.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

rezdawg, do you realize I was saying that your body language shows that you don't want mobley. oh well, some don't get parodies.

btw: I've been saying all along that David Aldridge categorically denies what you are saying, and so does that quote of Mobley in the Philly paper. It is a myth, because you have no facts. "Body Language" is a myth. get it.

7. heypartner

There is no excuse for Cuttino "popping off" about Odom. But I agree with your version of "body language," BMJ. I think from the interviews after the lottery that Mobley and MoT were giddy about Ming. Then TroyBaros drops the bomb about Francis saying "I'm outta here." True or not, I'm willing to bet Francis said something about wanting immediate help, because he was on record saying that before the lottery when it made so much sense to trade the #5. Just belief seems to remain even after getting the #1. Why is this a "controversy" to some?

The only issue was whether Mobley would hurt negotiations with CD and China...apparently, it had little effect...thank God.

Plus, on ESPN, Mobley did mention that he and Francis had talked and they were in agreement about Odom. Just seems to me that Mobley had a change of thinking based on Francis, and their previous wishes to trade the #5. The Philly Inquirer quotes came a day or two after ESPN, and he seems to have been doing a little damage control for his stupid remarks on ESPN.

8. Dm324

Dm324 Member

its not carroll dawsons fault that we are trying to build for the future, see mobley is 27 or somethin he probably thinks if ming takes 2-3 years he'll be getting old while eddie will be like 23 or something,

9. heypartner

or Cuttino and Francis just want to be in the playoffs now, like every athlete, because that is one very important way for them to find and develop their team game, and how defense wins in post-season. At some point, they have to start experiencing what it takes to win in post-season,,,what succeeds and what doesn't. You do remember that on ESPN Cuttino remarked that it was both Francis and his desire to get immediate help. You really believe Cuttino and MoT say that they wants "The big guy . . . Ming" on Fox Sports after the Lottery, then he changes his mind without Francis's agreement?

I totally can see Cuttino hear arguments to trade the #1 for Odom and the #8, and Cuttino never having thought that himself. Then, Francis and he start drooling about Odom and Wilcox, just like many here. I just don't think this is a dislike of Ming at ALL, nor a dislike in rebuilding for the future....this is an honest opinion that Odom and Wilcox are better now and in the long run. Many here at the BBS still believe it, too. Until you believe in Ming, it is a valid trade. No???

#49 heypartner, Jun 14, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2002
  10. redao

redao Member

I won't blame Mobley. His comment was just a thought. maybe he was right. He wants a proven player,a player is proven going to be a super star. He was hoping Ming can be an elite player,earn rings for him. Why not? Arrogance is sometime acceptable.

Forget what he said about not liking to play with a developing player. That comment was apparently wrong. He will never make it in the real world. He is a professional player. At least he is a man.

I love this honest, arrogant, hash dude.

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

hp, I agree. We're in America and all, land of free speech, but if Steve or Cuttino had something to say, I'm pretty sure they've got access to Rudy, CD and Les. It's never a good idea to take this stuff to the media, unless they're trying to force the hand of management. And if you're gonna do that, it's best to pick a battle you can win.

I remain convinced that this will blow over, but it's a pretty awkward way to start a relationship with a player who will already be dealing with culture shock, etc, and who will be here for a long time.

I certainly understand Cat's desire to win now, but this is a very, very young team by any standard. The Ming 'project' ought to come true at about the same time as Griffin comes into his own. 29 or 30 years old is not that old to contend for the big prize.

Again, though, a lot of minds have been changed right here on this bbs as info's become available on Ming and his readiness to contribute. I'm guessing the team's skeptics are undergoing a similar change of heart. Sure would be great to hear from doc rocket on this, though.

If this all goes down like it's looking I wonder if we'll ever hear from TroyBaros again...

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly heypee. It must be a left-handed thing-I'm not against Ming, I just think there are ways to make this club better. So does Cuttino, and you can't fault him for that. It doesn't make him (or me) Anti-Ming like many are quick to label. IMO, This team has the ability to win a championship with Ming, or getting a high-caliber return for him. Cuttino seems to feel the same.

I think the effect of what Cuttino said has been way overblown. Who really cares what anyone says on a sports show featuring Tom Arnold anyway?

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It really wasn't even as if Steve and Cat took it to the media. Cat was asked questions about it and he answered with his opinion.

Steve hasn't even said much about it all to the media. We know he talked to Cat about wanting someone who'll make a contribution to the club now. That's all we know and that isn't from Francis himself.

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Fair enough. Still a shame. I hate for Yao to get the idea our stars don't want him and I'd hate for him to come to this board (we know he surfs the net) and see this thread title. And so I'll do my part to help it die by making this my last post in it.

15. dave feitl

dave feitl Member

I hate the idea that I really don't trust Stevie.I'm so afraid that he is going to bail at some point.I swear if he is trying to dictate everything about this team, we should just trade him to CHI for their pick and then land Rashard.If Mobes doesn't like that we can trade him and whatever else for Spree.

J williams
    Spree
    Rashard
    Griffin
    Ming

16. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

Could the thinking be, remember when we had a big man in Hakeem. All the coach said was pass the ball in the post, pass the ball into the post. Sometimes they shot and we never got it back. Then we got to where with Cato, Taylor, Griffin, Thomas we did not have to pass the ball except to each other, we could dribble out the clock and then shoot. Got Anderson to want out of here didn't we? If a big man comes back in, we may have to pass it into the post again. Lets undercut this before it ruins our dribbling.

But we do not want to forget that, with the exception of Hakeem, people who knock the rockets in the media have a way of being traded and a word is never said from the club. :D

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Umm....wrong

18. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Ming will blend in with the Rockets, just fine, and for the CAT he will be better coming off the bench just like 2 seasons ago. And also, I hate to say this, But I really like Kenny T last season, but I would rather trade him for ODOM!;)

19. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

I'm a little surprised that, as far as I can tell, no one has mentioned the obvious reason why Mobley would not want to draft Ming if he's a "project."

Mobley will be 28 years old when next season starts.

His game (as suggested by his nickname) is based on quickness.

If the Rockets are planning to open their "window of opportunity" for chasing a title in 2004-2005, there's a good chance they won't want to do it with a 30-year-old SG whose game depends on quickness.

(This same factor is a big part of why Phoenix traded Kidd for the younger Stephon Marbury.)

In other words, if Ming is a project, then Cuttino is trade bait to land a younger SG.

20. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

swopa- nah, most players start hitting ther prime around there and decline around 33-34. Payton, Kidd, Jordan. Cat is going to be baaaaad ass when he's 30. Scares me to think of him playing with the talent he has now, AND with experience and smarts.