1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rant] Patrick Ewing = FAIL

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ghettocheeze, Jun 13, 2009.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

You're contradicting what the ABC announcers said about Ewing on the the last ABC broadcast when DH made a left hand baby hook from the left block and shortly after made a right hand running hook going through the paint. They credited Ewing working with DH in developing a post game.

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Agree with every point, like I said. He'd easily be the best center, if he played right now.

Even though, MJ's Bulls got the better end of the Knicks, New York is always really close to them with MJ being the only difference. If you put an inferior shooting guard in MJ's place, I guarantee the Knicks past Chicago more often.

Yeah, there's no way the Lakers right now could beat a team, like that. If you saw how Houston made them panic and how they let up leads and don't play as well against physical teams. There's no way they could beat the Knicks. Who is going to guard Patrick Ewing...Bynum (who was being slowing down by Chuck Hayes, no offense and outplayed consistenly by Nene and Howard, very much being non-factor against Yao). There's no way Gasol could guard him the whole game, he pushed around too much and is too slow-footed to guard Ewing.

Charles Oakley and Anthony Mason would their physical nature on the boards.

Kobe would still score points, but they would keep him out of the paint though.

Derek Fisher and LA point guards against Derek Harper, Mark Jackson, and other Knick guards heavily favors the Knicks. If the Knicks have Harper, the LA point guards might go scoreless for however long DH is in the game. You think Harper is going give Fisher the same kind room, these pgs, like Nelson does.

3. jminges

jminges Member

The Onion: Orlando Assistant Coach Patrick Ewing Counsels Dwight Howard On How To Lose NBA Title

Excerpt:

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Damn you people still keep bring up the same argument. Once again I am not slamming Ewing's career achievements or accomplishments. The guy is HOF player and top 20 center.

Now the question once again is he the right model center to teach young players?

Judging from Yao and Howard's progress, I say no to that.

Again those who keep bring up stats, numbers are fine but the man is ideal to teach someone how to play the game.

This is more about Ewing the COACH not the player. Yes his experience makes him who he is and that why I am questioning him.

By comparison at each position, there are some guys you would never pick to teach young players how to play that position.

At PG, you would never take Allen Iverson (combo guard I know) regardless of his career numbers and mvp trophies. He was one hell of a player in his prime but you would not want to imatate his game.

PF - Chris Webber, Rasheed Wallace, etc...

You get the point

5. Christopher

Christopher Member

Some great players do find it hard to become coaches....but Ewing much be pretty good because he keeps getting jobs.

It might just be a case of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Ewing and what he would teach a player might not be right for the centers he has been coaching. I mean for Howard, you'd want him to be shown how to use his strength and speed better at this point rather than shooting jumpers and stuff.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You said he was the Vlade Divac of the 1990s. Statements like that deserve to be ridiculed.

Not to mention the entire crux of your argument is based on the claim that his entire offensive repertoire consisted of 5-8 foot face up jumpers and dunks. Was that his bread and butter? Yes. But he had a much more varied post game than you give him credit for.

Not to mention, it's not like Ewing got by on overwhelming physical ability (not that he wasn't athletic). If anything, Shaq is someone you wouldn't want teaching young players the position. Ewing was very good at getting position down low, and his footwork, while not Hakeem-good, was still well-above average for the position and improved over time.

I think you just have a beef.

7. ThaBlackKnight

How can he be the Vlade Divac of the 90's when Divac played every year of the 90's. Even if he didnt play in the 90's, Ewing was MUCH better than Divac.

Reminds me of the Family Guy episode when Peter and Brian are playing golf and Brian makes a put, and Peter calls him "the Arnold Palmer of Golf"...funny stuff.

Get your comparisons in the right era next time :D

8. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

First of all, I believe we got Mutombo during that time. Ewing did jack ****.
    I'm not going to say he wasnt a good center as a player b/c he was. but i honestly think you have to question his work ethic. the guy is a pot smoking reggae listenin jamaican. (which is cool as your friend but not cool as your coach.)

and second of all, Lebron's coach is the most overrated POS. Not saying that Lebrons 3 point shot will improve if the coaching changes but he prolly wont have to take so many if the coaching changes.

9. DreamRoxCoogFan

JVG said that Yao isn't a high-IQ player.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah, I caught that too

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yao has zero low post game? right.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WOW! Wouldn't want to defy the Mighty All Knowing JVG! :rolleyes:

Rocket River

13. Chamillionaire

i might not.

14. Chamillionaire

+1 i completely agree, the talent know is much less than it was in the late 80's early 90's.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Good players don't necessarily make good coaches. Don't that hard a concept to understand.

Ewing played in an era of dominant centers and players. We're talking about a young Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, Jordan, Barkley etc.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't look at me for sympathy. welcome to clutchfans ;)

17. DreamRoxCoogFan

dude witnessed them play- Im pretty sure he would know a lot more about a player's IQ. Its not like he was putting down Yao, he just said that it takes him a while to understand and implement a gameplan. So yes, JVG knows more than you.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

knowing more than me . . .. does not make him All Knowing and the end all be all of knowledge

Rocket River
    . . . now go and pay your taxes and tributes to Julius VG Ceasar