1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Speaking of stupid ass players....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, May 4, 2000.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

P1, S2 got me thinking when he said Swift isn't the brightest of athletes(not in so many words)...who is the stupidest player in the NBA.

Stephon Marbury gets my vote. The kid can play like a mutha, but when it comes to personality and public speaking, the guy is a total brick.

------------------
    We're going to miss you Chuck! Thanks for all the memories!

2. Calvin23

Calvin23 Member

Who else?

Scottie Pippen

------------------
    No matter how badly the idiots may outmumber you, they're still the idiots.

3. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Has anybody ever listened to Gary Payton talk before? He sounds like an idiot.

I had a friend here in law school that had classes with Shaq in college. She said that he was a TOTAL dumb ass and it's a miracle that he remembers to breathe.

Ron Harper is bright like a bug zapper-it only flickers when somebody hits it.

Anyway, that's just the ones that come to mind...

------------------
    Wanna play in the clutchcity.net game? Got some ideas? E-mail me at philip_w_moore_jr@hotmail.com and I'll send a batch e-mail with details as they develop.

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Gary Payton and Karl Malone are both terrible on the mic. Iverson and Marbury are both also not very good at articulating.....Jason Williams seems dense too.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

5. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

Let's contrast these guys to Steve Francis.

He was very impressive on his TNT debut. =) The clear voice, the bright smile, the insightful thought-- he may just be the next NBA posterboy.

No, no,...Vince's reign isn't over yet.

Just to pose the question-- would you guys like Steve to have a spotlight alike Vince's? I think personally, I'd prefer him to be the Underdog, who suprises the others with his leadership ability. What I'm getting at is, he'll be the one to continuously spoil other's limelight, while not demanding any of his own. i.e. Gary Payton isn't the NBA posterboy, but everyone knows he can ball and ruin the day of a MJ, or Kobe.

Elie17

p.s. Maybe what I really don't want is someone like Bob Costas raving like he did about Jordan, doing the same for Steve.

------------------

6. Jerry Maguire

Jerry Maguire Member

My all time worst public speaker would have to be Clyde Drexler. Listen to any interview that guy did and you will realize that he ends up not saying anything. Clyde's my boy but please think about what you are gonna say before you speak.

------------------

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Clyde CAN ramble, but he's very articulate. You might mistake him for excited or even socially inept, but I would never think of him as coming off as stupid.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

8. Jerry Maguire

Jerry Maguire Member

After observing him from a close range this past year in his coaching position you can recognize that the man has other things going on in his mind when he speaks. Go back to any interview he has done, even the retirement ceremony rhetoric, his quotes are often out of order and hard to comprehend.

------------------

9. noemi

noemi Member

Shaq gets my vote, his quotes irritates me to death ... "I am like Donna Summer .. I work hard for the money ". "My game is like phytagorean theorem that nobody can solve"

------------------

10. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

You gotta hand it to those guys, they played hard. Coach said we need you to step up, be the go-to man, take the rock to the hole. I'm just trying to play my game, give 110 percent, and help my team win.

That pretty much covers the vocabulary of the average NBA player.

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Will, you give them too much credit. They have trouble forming one complete sentence, much less a string of sentences forming one, cohesive, thought.

Trying to pick the dumbest NBA player is like trying to explain post-structuralism and semiotics to..... well, to an NBA player - it will take a few decades.

Only Shaq would think nobody can solve A squared + B squared = C squared. After all, it is already solved.

I know his long time girlfriend (they were high school sweethearts) - she has trouble getting over how much he has changed and how much his ego has enlarged. But he is really, really big.

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

12. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

According to a FOF(who had him in a class), Sam Cassell's IQ is right up there with his field goal percentage.

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Smeg is about to write a response.
    Any player who talks about themselves in the third person, plus surely the redneck centre clan of Reeves, Ostertagg, Foster.

------------------

14. Sigemund

Sigemund Contributing Member

As great a player as he is, the worst I've heard in a while is Shawn Marion. One of his more recent media appearances was great, but the funniest was on Rome after the draft. He was as incoherent as a drive-thru.

------------------

15. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

DREAMer the "rights advocate" speaks again:

Maybe I should start a thread like:
    "The Mensa Society's Worst Athletes"

I don't believe in evolution, but I do believe in 'adaptation', and natural selection.

Players in the NBA are there because they can do things with their tall lanky bodies that most 5'9" guys only dream of doing. More than likely, they grew up as the best athlete in the neighborhood, highschool, and college. They never had to put their noses in the books. Society handed them everything, because of their athletic ability.

The geniuses of the world on average are not the most physically gifted of homo sapiens. But, they are gifted mentally and hence have used that to their advantage. It's no different from an athlete using his athleticism for personal gain.

Sure, there are exceptions. There are very smart athletes, and I'm sure there are some very athletic geniuses out there. But, they are the exceptions to the norm.

Personally, I don't care if a player isn't all that smart. All I want my Houston Rocket players to be is a decent person and a helluva basketball player.

Can someone help me off this soapbox? It's a long way down... [​IMG]

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

16. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Jason Williams sounds like a freaking idiot. That, and half the time I can't understand a word he says.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

17. OT

OT Member

Does it bother anyone else that there are hundreds of millionaires who are wrestlers, basketball, football, and baseball players, and luckey lottery winners, who are dumb as fence posts. If money means power, our country is in deep trouble.

------------------

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Okay, is this thread about dumb players, players who have stupid quotes, have bad interviews, or who are hypocrites?

Shaq has the stupidest quotes.

Jason williams has the worst interviews.

Scottie Pippen is the biggest hypocrit.

Dennis Rodman is very dumb.

but they all have a lot more money than me.

*sigh*

------------------
    Cato is 7 feet tall.

19. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Doesn't bother me a bit...... Those that are meant to have it....usually keep it. The rest lose it and wind up back in the trailer park. Besides, money does not always translate into power. You have to be smart enough to be able to use that money in an intelligent manner to garner the things you want...power...fame...scantily clad women...whatever.

------------------

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Noemi,

That pythagorean theorum quote is a classic. I've got two more for you:

Shaq, when he was leaving college: "I feel like I've accomplished everything I came to college to do, except finish my degree and win a championship."

After 5 yrs in the NBA, Shaq: "I've won it all at every level I've played, except college and the pros.