1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Needs to Be Watching Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SageHare6, May 27, 2009.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

This discussion should be over by now. Howard has more problem with his game than Yao at this point. He makes the same mistake Yao used to do by driblling too much and getting striped by short more athletic defenders. Utah Jazz anyone?

Unlike Howard, Yao has perfected the 8-10 jumper and the turnaround shot.

Someone needs to send Howard that tape of Yao and Dream workout where he tells Yao to keep the ball above his chest and take the shot instead of his gather-up routine. Man Hakeem was the master of the one dribble take the shot move.

2. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

You claiming you are a Rockets fan is probably more. Since you are nothing but a Tracy only fan who's pretending to live in Houston.

It's not hard to figure out, Yao's best game is on the offensive end and Dwight's best game is on the defensive end correct? Yao's offense is much better than Dwight's defense. Yao's weaker area would be defense correct? and Dwight's weaker area would be offense correct? Yao's weakest game is better than Dwight's weakest game.

Why don't you just go back to Orlando where all the Tracy only fans came from? It's not like you know jack about the Rockets.

3. apxn82

apxn82 Member

It is what it is man. If regular season mean anything we should have been swept by lakers. Not taking them to 7 games.

Look, some of you YOF are just grippin too hard on his D^%*K. I'm asian myself so I love to see him blossom, become dominant or best big man out there. However, the truth is dude got plenty of flaws. Howard is not top notch either but his team is clearly stronger then ours. If we got half the shooters orlando has we prolly still be playing. I know we played with heart and took lakers to 7. Howeva, you have to recognized the way orlando build their team is the correct way. A great center with a bunch of shooters.
    We build our team with a great center (only if he's healthy which he hasn't been last 3 or 4 years) and a bunch of jerkyl and hyde shooters. Some night they go perfect and some night they brick it up.

4. RareAir

RareAir Member

Except for when they've gone head-to-head.

5. dyu66

dyu66 Contributing Member

You actually made a valid point about the supporting casts. One thing speaks volumes for Yao's ability as a franchise player compared to Howard is the fact that his team beats the Orlando Magic most of the time even though he is surrounded with inferior role players.

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Ok... I'm just going to laugh at the fact that a person who is living Chicago right now just told me that I'm not living in Houston... that's pretty pathetic and shallow.

I was born in Houston... lived in Houston all of my life buddy... Hell.. you want some proof.. just check out the Hangout... that's all your proof... I even had a thread earlier about a month ago about Sugar Land vs. Pearland... I shouldn't even be typing this to you, I don't need to explain myself to someone who lives in Chicago...

You act like you've watched the Rockets more than I have, I can seriously bet my SOUL that I have watched and been a fan of this organization longer than you have...

It's just funny to see... everytime you get mad, you bring up the McGrady reference as me bring a fan of his... when clearly I'm not... and then when I ask you for some proof, you die away and don't respond... so you're basically clueless and unimaginative... at least if you're going to insult me or try to judge me... base it on something that I've actually done.

^ All of that could have been avoided if you had just typed that middle paragraph...

Lastly, I'd like to talk about the Yao situation... Do you really think Yao is that great of a defensive player than Howards offensive skills? Howard averages close to 20 ppg... part of that reason that he doesn't is probably due to the fact that he doesn't make as many ft's or get as many touches as Yao does. Yes, Yao is the more skilled offensive player, but you're overrating his defense. Howard is a better offensive player than Yao is a defensive player...

Let's see... how many times has Yao made the All-NBA first team? Zip... Howard... twice.... and he's younger.

#626 ItsMyFault, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  7. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Keep trying. I'm about to fall off my chair T-Mac only fan.

Anyways, I guess most of us can agree Yao is the better player than Howard. We cannot deny this though and that's that Howard will eventually surpass Yao. Howard will never be a Top 10 center of all-time. It's been 5 years, no post game. It's not coming especially if Patrick Ewing is his mentor.

8. ItsMyFault

It's ok.. bitter YOF... I think people are more likely to believe me calling you a YOF than you calling me a T-Mac only fan.

Most people TODAY... as fans believe Howard is a better player than Yao. Most analysts TODAY believe that Howard is better than Yao....
    More people on this BOARD believe Howard is a better player than Yao...

With all that... that's what I got behind my argument... basically the majority of the people in the world including the experts...

And your 5 years statement is full of fail... he's only 23 years old... that's like saying LeBron James doesn't have a chance to have a consistent jump shot.... so saying that it's been 5 years and no post game and saying he will never have one is really a bold statement... it's your opinion though... just remember that.

9. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

I would love to see evidence of analysts, the people on this board that say Dwight is better than Yao. Would love to see it. Keep pretending to be a Rockets fan though. I'm still laughing my ass off at you. You say I don't have proof that you are a T-Mac only fan? Gee why don't you look in the mirror and show me the evidence that I am a Yao only fan? It's an eye for an eye deal, You call me an X-Only fan I call you an X-Only fan. Deal with it.

10. apxn82

apxn82 Member

if you point a gun to my head and ask me which one is better I would take a draw between the two. If it wasnt because of being injured every freaking year, who to say Yao couldnt improved his defense/offense. Everytime you come back from months of injury you basically have to start all over again. Yao's defense is not as good as D-12 but it's good enuff to win games. It's a team game after all if you put the right pieces around him, you can cover his weakness and expose his strength. Same goes for Howard.

However, because Howard is so durable he would have to take the lead as the better of the two.

11. redao

redao Member

Howard is definitely a better player than Yao.

12. apxn82

apxn82 Member

actually Howard is top notch Athlete! second to none. Yao is a better basketball player. Think about this a little before you flame me.

13. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Since T-Mac only fans always use the when healthy card it's only fair US LEGIT HOUSTON ROCKET FANS can use the when healthy card for Yao as well. And Yao Ming when healthy is the better player than Dwight. Dwight does things a center does better than Yao.

Think about it this way. Russell was a better center than Kareem, but Kareem was easily the better player than Russell. It's kind of how I would say Yao and Dwight work.

14. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Go back to your EPIC FAIL iPhone rumor thread. Howard is a one dimensional player.

15. ItsMyFault

Didn't I apologize to you TWICE for that? I guess you must not have bother to read or appreciate it...

Also, go ahead and start a poll on it then... we'll see who wins on the board...

#635 ItsMyFault, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  16. ItsMyFault

Ah, so... you come in here to attack me. It's not my thread... I was just posting updates on it... you can call it whatever you want to though.

17. heyangw

heyangw Member

This is a fair statement.
    People flamed you because of this?

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Who is the best center in the NBA?
    1. Dwight Howard -- 55.6%
    2. Yao Ming -- 25.9%
    3. Tim Duncan -- 18.5%

http://www.nba.com/2008/tipoff/10/21/gmsurvey.players/index.html

that was BEFORE the season. i have no doubt this # will reach 70-75% for next year when the NBA general managers vote again.

this is not fan voting. these are actual NBA GMs.

ultimately, both are great players. they both have something to offer for their respective teams. we should begin to appreciate BOTH players from now on in this thread.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I referred to that a number of times in this thread, but it seems no one else wants to acknowledge it. You can watch the games, be an intelligent and informed observer of basketball, and still prefer Dwight Howard over Yao Ming. And vice versa. Like you say, they bring different things to the table.

20. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

With the exception that Yao hurts his foot on the way to the table.