1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have any of you lost respect for shaq??

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ebu, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

If I had multiple rings, MVPs (regular and finals), and was named as one of the top-50 NBA players of all time, I'd probably also feel disrespected being compared to a guy who hasn't done jack in the league yet.

2. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Again, it's about someone's feelings getting hurt? What's the big deal again? Howard wants recognition from Shaq that he's like Shaq or he's close to Shaq at his prime? Or it's not even Howard himself asking for that, but rather from some random fans or sports "analysts"?

Why would I lose respect for Shaq over this? Because he's offended that some young kid with great potential to be something very good, is being compared to him as one of the all time best?

You can love Howard all you want, but you can't force Shaq to recognize him as his eqaul, he's not. If you will lose respect for Shaq over his pride, or never had any before this, I don't think Shaq would care.

What's this all about? Can Howard just be himself, and try to improve year over year?

3. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

I'm pretty sure a YOF did not watch Shaq play in his prime either. But I did watch him play.

What's your point? Go listen to MD in Training if you want to know more about basketball and the 90s. Because Dwight and Shaq have nothing in common aside from being black and having bad FT%'s.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a great deal of respect for Shaq, His play has earned it.

As for his media antics.....He is just playing with you guys....

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Haven't lost anything for Shaq... he's a great man... great off the court, one of the greatest of all-time on the court. A few comments here and there... big deal.. I haven't lost any respect for him.

6. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Yea it is pretty ridiculous hearing the things Shaq is saying about Dwight Howard. Dwight looks up to the guy his whole life, and now that he is his peer Shaq has been nothing but the worst to him. One thing I must say though that causes me to have SOME respect for Shaq, is his acceptance of Yao when he was coming into the league. Shaq was the top dog at the time and Yao was the new kid on the block, I kept thinking to myself Shaq could have been straight nasty to Yao, on and off the court, but he wasn't and not only did that surprise me but I really think that helped Yao find acceptance in the league

7. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

insert Shaq's controversial Chinese comments here.

8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Man u gotta be seriously kidding. What post moves did Shaq have in his first 6 years in the league? Dude was exactly like Dwight is right now in his 6th season. Plus Dwight is younger and still developing his game. Nice soft touch..... :D

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The odd part is its well known Shaq in high school had his feelings hurt when David Robinson declined giving him an autograph, and he's held that against Robinson forever. Yet he's not proving to be any better when its his turn to be the classy guy to the player looking up to him.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think people greatly underrate Shaq's skills especially his foot work. The guy is extremely coordinated. How many big men have the ability to go under the basket for a reverse layin while double teamed. I would say that he is more skilled than Yao in every aspect of the game except for shooting outside of 15 feet.

Better footwork
    Better passing
    Better hands
    Better touch around the rim
    Better handles

Just watch the NBA finals from 95 when he went against Dream. He was not outclassed even though he was playing against the most skilled big man of all time.

11. Bruce

Bruce Member

It wasn't all hate from the big fella. He did dance with him! lol.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9LmHXXWiJs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9LmHXXWiJs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Exactly!

The media seems to love shaq. "He is just a clown yadda yadda yadda. " Shaq soooo funny! ha ha he hee.

Whatever. What he is now is a bitter old man. He can dish but not take. And now that the spotlight is away from him, instead of being gracious (like Hakeem etc) he just want's to put down the up and comers.

I hope Shaq never gets on another championship caliber team and finishes his career in obscurity some some mediocre team.

13. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Can anyone tell me what else he did to diss Howard besides the Howard/Van Gundy baby composite (which I didn't think was actually dissing him).

14. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Best part of the article:

Lost in that rap was the line, “That’s like Kareem saying to himself that he’s better than me.” Well, remember this: Abdul-Jabbar averaged 22 points and eight rebounds on a Laker championship team when he was 37 years old. When I asked him how that lyric made him feel, Abdul-Jabbar said, “The gratuitous insult? I considered the source and I slept very well that night.”

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I don't understand why Shaq is a so bitter. It's almost strange to say this but it seems like he has major insecurity issues. That, or like Dave_78 suggested: he just desperately wants to stay relevant. Either way his act is getting old.

As for the other issue at hand: anybody that thinks Howard's game isn't at least slightly reminiscent of Shaq's needs their heads examined.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

So basically you want to see him get "Hakeemed"? :mad:

17. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Shaq had the drop step, hook shot, actually had somewhat of a touch. Shaq also would've have been the scoring champion during his Magic years If it weren't for David Robinson stat padding that 71 point game. Dwight Howard would never win a scoring champion whether he's playing in the 90s or right now.

Go watch Shaq highlights and you'll say he's nothing like Dwight.

18. Major

Major Member

And would you voice that feeling of disrespect by whining at every opportunity?

I think the most interesting comparison is Lebron and Jordan. You don't see Jordan constantly complaining about the comparisons, even though Lebron hasn't won anything yet either.

19. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

[​IMG]

Did I mention he led a complete joke team to the Finals in 2007?

20. Major

Major Member

Lebron has been compared to Jordan long before a month ago, when he won that MVP. He was compared to him in his first year in the league - Jordan never whined about it.

And Lebron has one finals appearance, as does Howard - whose team defeated a better Cleveland team to get there than the one that Lebron took to the finals.