1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe vs. Jordan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Franchise3, Jun 4, 2009.

1. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Come one, it's just in MJ's era, you don't have internet, no youtube and forums that you can talk crap. What Kobe had talked of Bynum crap to a random fan wouldn't even show up in the news 15 years earlier. And no one had video phones everywhere to record them.
    It's not like Kobe's calling out Bynum in public either.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

In MJ's era did they not have newspapers, or TV stations where he could have demanded to be traded like Kobe did 2 seasons ago, when his teammates sucked? Did they not have reporters that he could have given 1-1 interviews to blasting teammates, the way Kobe blasted Shaq during the 3-peat era? When he was berated for gambling did he not have the chance to throw other players under the bus similar, to how Kobe did Shaq? Did we not watch games live, where we could have seen MJ shoving teammates in their heads on the court, or refusing to shoot in games to prove a point, or yelling to anyone listening that dudes couldn't stop him, or dancing after big shots, or kneeing and elbowing defenseless players when they were on the ground? The OP asked why MJ is held to a different standard even though all backdoor reports say he was just as much of a jerk. My answer is we didn't see MJ doing hardly any of these things.

My question to you is when have you seen MJ display any of the traits on the court, or to the media...that most seem to not like Kobe for (being arrogant, bad teammate, snooty a-hole, etc)?? The internet, youtube and forums don't have anything to do with how Kobe behaved on the court, or to the media...compared to MJ.

3. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Haha slobbering on his jock strap to the fullest. He had no problem elbowing Artest when nobody was looking did he though? He was sure worried about suspensions there wasn't he.

Get that b**** excuse out of here. Kobe is a p***y throws elbows because he knows he can get away with it.

4. spressa

spressa Member

i was about to write the same thing after the initial posts

5. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I gave you some examples of where he publicly denigrated his teammates, but you said you don't remember them. They still happened despite your recollection.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Here's a big difference between MJ and Kobe, from a public standpoint. When MJ entered the league, he was on a terrible team and he had to dominate from day 1 in order for his team to be competitive. I think that endeared him to people, because all the glory of being on a contender wasn't just handed to him. He had to earn it, and he paid his dues.

With Kobe, seemingly from day 1, people were propping him up as "the next MJ", and he ate it up. It was obvious that he was aping MJ's mannerisms and movements, and he was so incredibly cocky. He was voted as a starter to the all-star team in just his second season, when he was a 26 min/g bench player. He became a great player very quickly, but he also was extremely fortunate to have a great team around him including one the greatest centers of all time and greatest coaches of all time through his formative years.

7. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Good points. Do you think the fact that Jordan already earned some credibility playing in college affected how people viewed him early in his NBA career? He already proved himself a winner at UNC before he stepped foot in the league. Do you think that gave him some slack in the eyes of the media and fans? Contrast that with Kobe who jumped to the pros from high school and was surrounded by hype without accomplishing anything.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not sure. Consider LeBron. He's far more more popular and less polarizing than Kobe. If he was on a contender from his first year and didn't have to be the best player on the floor for his team to win from the beginning, how would he be perceived now? I think people look at Kobe as the spoiled rich kid. Dad was an NBA pro. He went to all the basketball camps as a youth. Just privileged. Jordan is more like a the billionaire who built himself up. LeBron ... more similar to Kobe I think, but because he wasn't as much a gunner from the beginning and he wasn't blessed to be a contender from his first year, he was a ittle easier to like. I think he was sort of viewed as the fresh, likeable alternative to Kobe Bryant the jerk.

9. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

So called "backdoor reports" would be scrutinized nowadays, every teammate, particularly former teammate will be invited to talk about it. MJ had his fair share of dirty play and cheap shot, fans would put it on youtube at the same night.

That's just the way it is. No one will dedicate to screen every MJ's game to find out those elbows again, but it doesn't mean it's not there.

10. Christopher

Christopher Member

Its funny because I think the people running Kobe down, comparing him to Jordan and all of that, they are the ones with the problem, not Kobe.

Ive just read through this thread and some people of said he tries to mimic Jordan....then list all the things he has done that is nothing like Jordan!

As a person, Kobe is unlikable, some people are just like that. Jordan was likeable, Kobe isn't.

As players, there is nothing really between them. Jordan was probably a better defender in my opinion, but we are talking about margins so small that it means nothing really.

Kobe is a super comptetitor, a freak. He is the best out and out killer in the NBA, when he decides he wants to win a game on his own, no one is better.

He's done everything you could possibly have asked of him, and more. He has broken so many records, got so many titles, won an MVP award......what more is he supposed to do.

I've never liked Kobe, but I really hope he wins this title. He deserves it.

11. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Kobe is good but He will never be in the same level as MJ. on court and off court.

12. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

I don't like him very much either, but I've come to this realization recently about Kobe and I guess I'm at peace with it.

No matter how much you may dislike him, Kobe is gonna be remembered as a great player. There's nothing that you can say that will refute that, he has the numbers, career games, and accomplishments. There's no amount of hate that is going to take that away from him.

Hell, I hated John Stockton with a passion but you couldn't deny his greatness.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

I'm just curious, what records has he broken?

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Well said.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Jordan was not "probably a better defender." He was a better defender and it wasn't by "margins so small it means nothing." It was actually a huge margin. Jordan is one of the greatest defensive guards to ever play the game. He played elite defense for 48 minutes a night for an entire career.

16. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Most 3-pointers made in a game? Most points at Madison Square Garden? Haha. But seriously, he holds a handful of "youngest player ever to do X" records. Nothing real interesting at this point.

He holds a crapload of Lakers records though, which is pretty impressive considering all the players who have played for them.

17. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

Exactly, these comparisons to Jordan are just damn right ridiculous. Let the dude be Kobe. You can hate dude all you want but you can't deny how Great he is.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Dude, that wasn't even a fair fight. This youngster just got taken to the woodshed.

19. Christopher

Christopher Member

So many people saying "Yeah but....record but.....titles but...gold model but...."

He is one of the greatest players of all time.

Hate him, that's fine. I don't like him self. But the guy is nothing short of a brilliant player and I think the rose colored glasses look that Jordan gets from some people means Bryant gets a bad wrap he does not deserve.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

And I also gave you plenty of examples of things Kobe has done that MJ was never caught doing, which is why some don't like him. Some don't like the way Kobe whines 24/7. MJ didn't do that. Some don't like how Kobe demanded to be traded. When did MJ do that? I brought up the Shaq situation, which I don't ever see MJ doing because winning seemed to be his #1 priority. I brought up Kobe preening all over the court, which we rarely saw MJ do. The only example I have seen brought up, that MJ did on the court, was to say something bad about a teammate to the media (which I don't remember, but you and others have pointed out). But as far as ALL that other stuff I mentioned...as far as why folks don't like the guy...no one has addressed them. It's like I'm giving you 10 on the court/out in the open reasons why dudes don't like Kobe...and you say well MJ did one or 2 of these as well so why don't you dislike him too.