1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Its Time to Seriously Consider Moving Battier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pgabriel, May 18, 2009.

1. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

If you are so worked up about debating stuff that's not related to Battier in a Battier thread, you probably don't want to bring them up in the first place. I have yet to see your response to my rebuttal that Rockets defense crumbled big time in Yao's absence in game 5 and 7 of the LA series.

My reading comprehension is just fine. I pointedly stated that your claim that Yao's defense has improved every year under JVG is not supported by stats but you have no stats to back yours.

2. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I sure read what you said. But honestly if you dismiss outright the relevance of individual defensive measures, there is really nothing to debate on. It's much like arguing with someone who harps on Yao's perceived "softness." I typically have no interest to debate something that has no statistical merit.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

uh, i wasn't the one who brough up yao ming, it was lebigeez...and he brought it up in response to wha ti wrote about shane being the leader on d...so it was definitely connected to shane whether you like it or not, if you want to talk about Yao only, you're welcomed to start a new thread if it bothers you that much..

why am i going to keep arguing with you if Yao's on court defense is irrelevant to what i was discussing with other posters? I have no reason to post any rebuttal.

and are you practicing for a school debate, because you seem overly obsessed with stats? I like stats as proof, but you're taking it to a whole other level..

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

OK, let me ask you again, in Yao's absence, did Rockets defense crumble or not in Game 5 and 7 of the LA series?

Since you like stats as proof, what is your proof that "his [Yao's] individual defense was not very good when JVG came in and did not become solid until late last year or even early this year"?

Two simple questions.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

what happened to game 6 :rolleyes:

right, like i'ma walk into that question.....i'm pretty sure any team's defense will struggle big time if their tallest player was 6'8, they had no true center, and we're facing a team with two good 7 footers...

i've wasted enough time replying to you when i have no reason to discuss yao's defense with you, why would i go look for proof just because you're asking now? Continue your discussion about yao's d with those other guys, i have nothing to do with it apparently..

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I give you that even though Rockets' interior defense suffered after Yao went down. It "helps" that Lakers didn't take full advantage of Yao's absence -- they merely played not to lose.

I am perfectly willing to acknowledge Yao's lack of quickness and his deficiency in defending pick and roll, but on the other hand I will not relent on Yao's advantage of being tall and able to alter shots in the paint (not necessarily reflected by blocked shots). Both are part of the whole package Yao brings to the defense that you have to accept. Overall his defensive measures are one of the top rated on his team.

Hey if you make a claim on a quantifiable subject you should have no qualm to back it up with statistical evidence when challenged.

7. J-Wood

J-Wood Member

Nash? You have gotta be jokin right. Thats just as stupid as Cuban going to get Jason Kidd after he's over the hill. There is no way AB is going anywhere, he is the future nd Nash only has a few years left in the league.

8. young.k.n

young.k.n Member

different people has different view
    I think it's not necessary to talking about battier now
    he is still suit for Rox

9. young.k.n

young.k.n Member

Hey men !stop arguing.no team can defend without a center.Yao isn't a superman .he also has disadvantage ! if Rox want to build round Yao .they must find a subsitute for Yao at first.

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Thankfully someone who is smart about basketball, and not you, is running the franchise.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

It appears that all the ON-TOPIC discussion is over....if you guys wish to discuss Yao's defensive impact, lets create a thread for that topic and quit using this one.

Im gonna leave this one open...but if the Yao defensive discussion continues here, I will close it.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

WHAT

no more, "i'm glad the guy in charge isn't an idiot like you" posts?

13. kalmanfilter

kalmanfilter Rookie

No! Plz keep Battier!