1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

cc.net's draft day assessment of #41 pick-1998

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dTown333, Jun 10, 2002.

1. dTown333

dTown333 Member

I just looked at this one right now. In retrospect, it seems pretty funny...
    #41: Cuttino Mobley
    6'4" SG - Rhodes Island

Cuttino Mobley
    This is a reach pick, but the Rockets liked what they saw in Cuttino Mobley out of Rhode Island.

Cuttino was nervous as the draft unfolded. "I was nervous, real nervous," Mobley said. "I said `If I don't get picked at 41, I'm done.'"

But he was happy when it was all said and done.

"I'm really happy right now," Mobley said. "I wanted to get picked. I went down to Houston and shot the ball real well, I thought."

Strengths:
    Another senior who is a very good scorer. He's a southpaw who can hit the mid-range to long-range jumper, though many feel he needs to extend his range. His defense is another strong point, while his free throw shooting is exceptional. Hit 8 threes against Temple once.

Weaknesses:
    Not a brilliant athlete, and some say he needs to work on his shooting range.

Many thought Mobley wouldn't even get drafted, but the Rockets always have a way of drafting players that weren't expected to go where they did...

Bash Mobley all you want, but he did turn out to be a helluva lot better pick than any of us thought he would be. I mean, come on, we drafted Bryce Drew 20-something picks ahead of the guy. I'd say this investment payed off.

#1 dTown333, Jun 10, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2002
  2. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Yes he did turn out to be a good if not great player.

I like his game and he improves every year.

I had forgotten that point about his defense being a strong point. If you add Ming to the middle with Griffin roaming around the paint, Cat may re-discover that old trait of his.:D

3. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I think Mobley already is one of our best defenders. I'm not sure where this myth comes from of Mobley getting torched by other shooting guards. Check the stats.

Granted, the Rockets' defense as a whole was not good, but Mobley's D is the least of our problems.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

mobley's defense is a strong point when he decides to play it. his problem right now is that he doesn't commit to it nearly enough. he's got good fundamentals all he needs is the desire to make the big play on defense as well as offensive. i think it's there though and he's young so it doesn't bother me yet.