1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao must change his game again.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 29, 2009.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

When Yao Ming was the dominant force in Chinas pro basketball league he was looked at as fairly versatile considering his height and stature. He was not known as a plodding post up force/option and alot of his success in this aspect of the game from his physical advantages. He played there but it was not until he came to the NBA and more specifically JVG, that he really honed it.

I do think that Yao is the worst officiated player in the history of the league. There was no precedent for someone of his size and particular skill set. This has lead to inconsistancy and sometimes foolery in calls. You could site Shaquille Oneal. However, Shaquilles existance actually hurt Yao. The refs could sometimes afford to not call every foul from an opponent on Shaq, because he was going to power his way to the points and to offensive rebounds. Yao does not have this same quite power and I really feel the refs don't call a lot because he has such a "heightened efficiency" in that area. After placing more influence of post-orienting his offensive game, he has had quite a bit of success. I think though, that the combination of poor refereeing, the beating he takes on both ends, and his reality of his physical build will not stop, and that this combination escalates the chance of impactful injury to likely most years

Throughout his career, Yao has shown above aptitude for passing (moreso early in his career), Shooting 15-20 foot jumpers (especially late in this year) and delving into the post for scoring and passing out of options. In a perfect world, I would want Yao to be in the post 90% of the game, But we have a great coach who does not necessarily see things that way, AND it would be unhelpful in regards to Yaos health. I see Arvydas Sabonis, and Ilgauskas as blue prints, however I think Yao can be more effective than either. It was awkward this year with Yao in the offense. It works, because he is great, and our team is smart. There are times though, when his deficiences hinder us.

He has got to focus as much of changing his game, as he once did to make him self more effective in the post. He could change the way Adelmans system is seen, as maybe his ability and stature can elevate it. But he has got to be effective in a broader area and range. Its not about playing less minutes, or taking games off. Its about playing while acknowledging that his height and girth, are double edged swords.

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I wholeheartedly concur. I posted something to this effect two weeks ago:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=169243&page=1

3. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

His ability to shoot and pass was stunted due to JVG. Anyone remember the no look passes he was throwing to Moochie, Mobley, and Francis early in his career? Not just those passes but his ability to shoot. If he can shoot close to 90% form the line there is no reason he can't shoot the often wide open 15-18 foot jumper that he receives. And by the looks of it, towards the end of the season it seemed as if he was trying to stretch out his range. Hopefully he gets it and works on his face up game more even though his back to the basket game is brilliant, however the current rules and strain on his body will not allow it.

4. landryfans

landryfans Member

This summer, Yao gonna reduce weight for 15 pounds, practice long jumpers ...

5. Landlord Landry

6. realrockyboy

realrockyboy Rookie

it's not really wise considering the height disadvantage Rockets has when Yao's shooting jumpers. I'd like to see Yao pick up his old shooting just when fronting gets really bad for him, but just don't make a living out of it. Thinking bout it, big Z and Okur are the best at those shots, and as centers they SUCK....

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

7'6" guys need to be close to the rim. It isn't rocket science. Sure, he can pop out and shoot some jumpers now and again but to make him into a perimeter player is not maximizing his talents. Not to mention the fact that banging in the post is not what breaks his feet. Running and jumping do that and there is no way to avoid that in basketball.

If you want Brad Miller then trade for Brad Miller.

8. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

He must become deadly from the 15 - 18 foot jumpers. I think Yao can do this and it would be very good for our whole team. This will also give Aaron or TMac more room to penetrate.

9. G Rat

G Rat Member

Consider our offense when Chucky Hayes had to replace Yao in the playoffs. We had some big scoring games and lots of ball movement.

Now replace Chucky with Yao, but not the post-up Yao... The difference is the other team has to guard him and if he finds himself with the ball, he can score and he can play much better clean up around the basket.

I always like Yao better when he was just playing clean-up offense or a general part of the flow vs trying to force the ball to him.

Now that may go out the window with the teams that do not front or those that have a traditional center where Yao can dominate

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i thought this was what we were already expecting?

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Just because he plays for Adelman, doesn't mean he has to turn into Brad Miller.

12. rockets09champs

Yao ming will be harder, faster, better and stronger next season.

Yao Ming next year:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eVZ2ez_1evQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eVZ2ez_1evQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Guaranteed.

13. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Yao must evolve like any other player. I wish him the best!

btw, his game has changed. That flexibility makes him special.

14. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Yeah, purely low post game put too much stress on his legs, especially after they started to front him hard in the playoffs. Wrestling with 280lb guys all game long is simply too much.

He should mix in like 20% high post next season.

15. choujie

choujie Member

Yao's low post game is his bread and butter, and it's the best offensive weapon Rockets have.

No matter how good a shooter Yao becomes, if I'm the opposing team, I'd be very happy to see Yao shooting jumpers. No double team will be required in that case, no FT will be rewarded, no need to worry about Yao's offensive rebounding, and the percentage from outside will always be lower than inside.

Occasional PNR jumpers are OK, Weber or Devac style basketball is a big NO.

When you have a low post threat, use it. Look at how Lakers go inside out and beat Denver so easily. They beat Rockets for 40 points by played that way too.

16. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

You cannot teach height, so I'm always wary of saying 'Let Yao develop his outside game' beause if Yao has plenty of something that nobody else has, why not use it to the max? (lol, funnily enough I can think of a good counter arguement to this...)

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Three things: If Yao could remain healthy (he can't) and was aggressive (he isn't) even though he is very slow by NBA standards (he is) his game would be unstoppable. End of story.

18. jerrios

jerrios Member

I think that when JVG became coach everyone had this mindset that Yao has to always back down his opponents. I think some of the best post players in history, besides shaq, had a more diversified game. To name a couple:

Hakeem Olajuwon - Great low post moves, but he also had that mid-range jumper and the dream shake was pretty far from the basket.

Tim Duncan - Relies heavily on his bank shot at the elbow

Theres really been only one player in history of the game that has consistently bullied his opponents down low and that was shaq. Though they may have weighed the same, they are not built the same way. When yao has to fight for that low block for about the 20th time in the game, he is going to get tired in the 4th quarter.

19. ThaBlackKnight

The man is 7'6 310 lbs and has the best post up game in the league with the likes of Tim Duncan, Shaq, and Al Jefferson.

Why shouldn't he post up? I do think its okay to give him different roles on offense OCCASIONALLY, or to shoot the 15 ft jumper when he's open. But to make him into a perimeter oriented center just wouldn't work with him.

He's a GREAT post player who can't be stopped 1-on-1. Let him keep his advantage which is down low on the block.

20. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

The bottom line is that Yao Ming is an extremely hard worker, AND he has buckets and buckets of talent. He will be good at whatever role they choose for him next year because of these 2 things. He is a very special guy with an incredible mindset and character; willing to learn and put in the hard yards now, to reap the benefits later