1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Upper Body Strength

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rimrocker, Jun 8, 2002.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'm getting tired of reading comments about Ming's lack of upper body strength. Anyone watch ESPN Classic? Notice how undeveloped Jordan was? How skinny Moses was when he first came to the Rockets? David Robinson was an absolute stick at Navy. Hakeem was not the chiseled stud of the championship runs when he first came into the league. Give the Mingster a break. He's 21. His legs show he has the capacity to put on more muscle. With proper training and dedication, he will get significantly stronger in the next few years. He will not be Shaq, but he will be strong enough to play at a high level in the NBA.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The winner of the ROY wasn't exactly Lee Haney either :p . No one comes in nba ready for the physical play. Look at Kwame Brown last yr and Curry. Brown had the most nba bosy and he played scared and was pushed around. Hell look at Wallace of Port, he's still only about 230 right now and has been in the league since 95. I just wnat ming to hit the weights but its easier to get stronger than gaining skill.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't like ming so i'd have to say there is no possible way for him to put on weight. when was the last time you went to the gym and saw a 7'6" chinese guy working out? never, right? i didn't think so. this of course proves that he will never get stronger so we should not draft him. :rolleyes:

anyways, good post. ming already has a huge base which will benefit him until he beefs up the upper body. i'm not too worried since he's closing in on 300 anyways, this IS NOT A WALKING STICK guys!

4. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

:D :D :D :D :D

5. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

Ming also said he doesn't lift weights because he's not good at it. Doesn't matter anyway if he's going shooting these jumpers everybody wants him to shoot for some strange reason.

If he's so good why do only Chicago and NY want him. Everybody else wants Williams. Odom wants Houston he been saying with steve and Cat for a while now, All Ming and China are conserned with is Ming going number one. When in fact he is hype out of total potential. Atleast a college player has played at the second highest level of basketball in the entire world. China would struggle with an All-Star team assembled by all high school player.

6. Houkom

Houkom Member

Second Highest level in the world???? College???

Wake up, it's 2002, you know, things have changed!
    College teams already experienced serious ass kicking from national teams.

Yougoslavia ad Spain already have better championships than College, just because their players are more mature.

I have very little doubt, Ming woud absolutely dominate the NCAA now.

7. toughguy

toughguy Member

China would struggle with an All-Star team assembled by all high school player.

Last year, China's national team beat the U.S. college all-star team in the University Games! Ming was in the team, of course.

8. Houkom

Houkom Member

BTW, I watch college games, french, spanish, euro games and even WNBA.

I can tell you that although NCAA is exciting and players quite speedy (youth probably), the level there seems to me quite poor.
    But the talent and potential is huge.

The players there are kids, getting experience and learning the game... only the best of them go to professional basketball , wether NBA or abroad...

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

ut baller- you must be an insider to know that only chicago and new york want ming. i mean how else do you get this information? . it has been reported numerous times on this site that almost all if not every call to the rockets has been inquiring for ming NOT jay williams. that's fact not some bs specualtion that ming haters keep falling back on to try and make their point.

10. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

According to his Clutch profile, Ming weighs 296. That means he'll outweigh a lot of the guys he goes up against. Sheer mass makes a big difference when you are trying to move people around. Once he adjust to the NBA brawl, he'll be able to hold position better than people think.

I looked through the list of NBA center at ESPN, and the only people whose weigh is listed as over 296 were Shaq and Priest Lauderdale. There were a few 280-290, and lots 240-260.

Vlade, the Shaq stopper, is 7-1 and 260.

I think Ming's defensive problems will be more about learning position defense and the aggressiveness of the NBA than physical deficiencies.

11. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Lee Haney!? He wasn't even Robert Horry.

Btw, Lee Haney had the biggest chest I have ever seen!

12. Possum

Possum Member

Got this from the Chronicle. Just thougt it was interesting.

Olajuwon still king as rumor subject
    -- The Rockets' trip to Shanghai could nail down their plan to select Yao Ming with the first pick of the draft. It might, however, kill his hopes of breaking an Hakeem Olajuwon record that had seemed well within his reach.
    Olajuwon's record for most trade rumors about a player who was not eventually traded seems safe. Olajuwon was the subject of 25 published trade rumors after he called former Rockets owner Charlie Thomas "a coward." They patched things up, and Olajuwon stuck around. Subsequent trade rumors and his sign-and-trade to Toronto do not count in his record.

Yao, however, could break a few other records. Barring an unlikely trade, Yao would be the first foreign-born player with no United States collegiate training taken first. At 7-5, he would be the tallest player chosen first. And if he can pack on six more pounds, he will surpass Shaquille O'Neal's 301 and be the heaviest player taken first.

:)

13. sydmill

sydmill Member

I'm getting tired of reading comments about Ming's lack of upper body strength. Anyone watch ESPN Classic? Notice how undeveloped Jordan was? How skinny Moses was when he first came to the Rockets? David Robinson was an absolute stick at Navy. Hakeem was not the chiseled stud of the championship runs when he first came into the league. Give the Mingster a break. He's 21. His legs show he has the capacity to put on more muscle. With proper training and dedication, he will get significantly stronger in the next few years. He will not be Shaq, but he will be strong enough to play at a high level in the NBA.

First of all it's totally different since Jordan was a shooting guard.

Second Kwame and Curry weren't ready physically yet, but they blow Ming away as far as strength.

third Ming is only near three hundred because he's 7' 6''. To build up his upper body would be a much longer process than all the big men in the draft, especially since he doesn't even like to lift weights.

No team needs a 7' 6'' center playing the perimeter, when he could be getting offensive rebounds, which he wont be able to sine he not any stronger than Shawn Bradley.