1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming for Paul Gasol?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketForever, Jun 8, 2002.

Tags:
?

Would you trade Yao Ming for Paul Gasol?

1. YES

23 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. NO

36 vote(s)
    61.0%
  1. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Ming can touch the rim without jumping.

Why do people lie just so they can try to prove their point.

Seriously, that's a downright lie.

2. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

The best thing is, TheCat knows my motives.

Ming and his goofy self wouldn't be able to hold Pau if he can't hold freakin Christofferson.

Jason Williams is proven, he played like an NBA veteran versus GP and Kidd. Did you even see that game? He was playing good on them. He will be ROY next year. Just like I predicted Pau to get ROY.

The Grizzlies wouldn't Pau straight up for Ming. Maybe if the Rockets added something.

You'll see. I'm rarely wrong on my gut instinct. WHEN (not if) he busts, or gets hurt, everyone will be hearing it, not just the Ming-supporters. I hope everyone is excited to see so many 2-guards fighting to **** on him. I hope he has quick lateral movement to get the hell out of the way.

3. Shark Rocket

Shark Rocket Member

4. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

"Ming and his goofy self wouldn't be able to hold Pau if he can't hold freakin Christofferson.

(Wait a minute, does Gasol weigh 300lbs??) "

Christofferson can't hold Gasol's jock on offense. He probably won't even be drafted. Now, if you excuse Ming for letting someone like that **** on him JUST BECAUSE he's 300 pound, then well, more power to you. Just don't expect him to do well when he defends a big man with actual talent. And I didn't start this Pau vs. Yao 1on1 argument:

"I'd rather watch how Yao swats the sh*t out of Gazol than watching how Gazol tries to shoot over Yao."-panda

I replied:

"And please Panda, thats just crazy talk. Gasol would go ape **** on Ming if Ming ever had to guard him."

Did I ever say he WAS going to have to guard him? Nope, but if he had to, he would be ****ted on uncontrolably.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

What?!? I saw the video, and read the recaps. The only thing Christofferson did positive in that entire workout was block Ming's shot one time. You're telling me that in an hour long workout when Ming was severely jet-lagged and he had his shot blocked one time, it means that there's no hope for him? I thought you were smarter than this.

One game doesn't make Jason Williams proven, especially against a Gary Payton and Jason Kidd led team that wasn't obviously playing with the same intensity as a NBA game.

Well, I decided to check this gut instinct for myself, and here's what I found from NYK last summer on Gasol:

I think teams shouldn't draft players unless they have ATLEAST one year of an American College. Yes, that includes all of the High School kids.

But hey, its their choice to bomb the pick with a foreigner (Mirsad Turkcan).

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11087

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

#46 NYKRule, Jun 9, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2002
  7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For everyone who thinks I must be a huge Ming hater-

I wouldn't trade Ming for Gasol because a Gasol/Griffin frontcourt is even more flawed than a Ming/Griffin frontcourt.

PS- I doubt West would do that either. Gasol is an extremely talented player, who is the closest thing to an identity the franchise has, and I'm not sure Ming in Memphis would work for Shanghai.

#47 NIKEstrad, Jun 9, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2002
  8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

If we did get Gasol, where would he play? Can he play well at SF? Can he defend at that postion?

I ask this because I don't think Eddie or any of our other PF can move to SF. That would mean Gasol would have to.

9. The Cat

Couple of problems with this:

It was pretty much common knowledge on draft day that Gasol would go 3rd, and you didn't really have anything positive to say about him.

Second, you dismissed the clips of Ming because he was playing against weak competition. What do you think Gasol was playing against? Don't tell me we can call one foreign prospect a gem based on his clips, but we can't another. That's ridiculous.

Look, we know you don't like Ming. There's a lot of players I don't like too. Try and listen, though... you don't know any of this stuff yet, especially with only a minute and a half worth of video to go by. I don't think you're a psychic either; though if you are you should've helped me with the Belmont yesterday. ;) In all seriousness, why don't you try saying "I saw Ming do this in the workout" or "I read Ming doesn't like..." instead of parading around claiming "Ming's a bust and I know it". The truth is, you don't know it, and I'm sure these threads would have a lot more insight (from both you and other posters) if you would shed that technique.

10. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Just because my words aren't documented doesn't mean I am lying.

If you think the league that FC Barcelona is in is weak, its the Olympics compared to the CBA. And Gasol in that one clip with the cross over in the lane IS the big reason. I've never seen a 7'1" man do that.

And on Ming:
    I just can't wait to say I told you so.

11. The Cat

No, but when you have documented words that seem to contradict you, it is a little suspicious.

Also, I'm not really understanding your point. If you're better than someone, what's the point? It doesn't matter what the other competition is in comparison with one another... if you're above the level of the game, like Gasol and Ming were, then neither has had significant competition. Oh, and I've never seen a 7'5 man run the floor, block shots, handle the ball, shoot from the perimeter, and have the post moves of Yao Ming.

Me neither.