1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Cecil Cooper axing countdown.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by franchise?..NOT, May 22, 2009.

1. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

2. Fatty FatBastard

3. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah. It's one thing if the rumbling is coming from the fans. It's another if it's coming from the players.

Coop's extension is looking like a brilliant move by the Astros brass.

5. Poloshirtbandit

I don't think Gerry will ever come back, but I really liked Garner even if he made some weird decisions at times. They always seemed to work out.

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I cannot remember another situation in sports where a manager takes you to a World Series after 40 years of futility and gets canned a year and a half later.

7. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I guess i still fail to see how whomever our manager is can be faulted for not bringing up another Roy or Berkman in over a decade since we can't spend like the Yankees and Red Sox.

But like i got blasted before, i still believe talent has more to do with winning games than any head coach. A batter is all alone at the plate, just like a pitcher is alone on the mound.

The missing key is not our coach, rather our GM and scouts that thrived in the 90's.

However, everyone can flame me again for my philosophy that the best teams usually win, not the best manager. :eek:

8. Cannonball

Typically, I would agree for the most part. But if it's true that the players aren't even hiding that they have no faith or confidence in the manager, then somebody has to go. And it's easier to replace a manager than it is to replace all the disgruntled players.

9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The owner has been erratic, too.

10. Raven

Raven Member

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

The problem really isn’t Cooper it’s the way the team is constructed. We have a bunch of high strikeout power hitters with a 2 that should be a 3 and so forth with the pitching staff. We have a general manager who continuously make bad moves and we have a minor league with a bunch of old veterans so there's no flute because we refused to sign draft picks for a few years so now we're in a whole.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The manager can affect the tone of the team, and can effect a few games per year. Torre and Francona manage their teams off the field in a way which allows their teams to play successfully on the field. Game management is often questionable with those two, but results? Excellent.

But, I agree, give me talent.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Gerry doesn't have a gm job. Mcclane needs to beg him to comeback.

14. Major

Major Member

Who are our high strikeout power hitters? :confused: We really only have two power hitters, and one of them is known for his ability to make contact (Lee). The other is about average in terms of strikeouts compared to other power hitters (Berkman).

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

My guess is that Coop was either getting interest or showed interest in leaving the team after this season for someone else and the Astros brass really just couldn't get any interest in taking the manager position. So they decided to lock Cecil up for a year to keep him happy and have a safety net just in case.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Poor assessment.

17. Cannonball

Coop got his extension 11 games into this season when we were 4-7. He wasn't going anywhere until next season at the earliest. It was a Kelvin Cato type signing. If you didn't think he was worth giving an extension in the offseason, why was he all of a sudden worth it after 11 regular season games? If you weren't going to extend him in the offseason and were going to wait, why didn't you wait until closer to the end of the season so you could have a larger sample size to evaluate him with? The timing of it was just really bizarre and if they do end up firing him, the Astros are going to have egg on their face because there was no reason they should have extended Coop when they did.

18. Major

Major Member

A. Who on earth would be showing tons of interest in Cecil Cooper?

B. The Royals and Pirates and Rays and Marlins have no problems finding competent managers. You reallly think no one would be interested in managing the Astros?

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

We're focked...

20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the real countdown should be how long until we hear Uncle D come out and say that he's excited about our prospects for the second half because, unlike most teams, we're going to be adding a Cy Young-caliber pitcher (Oswalt) and an MVP-type hitter (Berkman) to our team* for the stretch run!

*=if they can revert back to their usual production/output.