1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Yao Ming vs. Hakeem Olajuwon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slayer700506, Jun 7, 2002.

1. a-rock

a-rock Member

ok guys...i´m very drunken now....but under the influence of alcohol (and some other sorts of drugs), i think that yao will kick ass....and he´ll do it here in houston......

....okay...i know, am a junior member and i am a austrian citizten....but, hell - i´m a die-hard rocket fan as anyone else here at the board.....i love the rockets...i know i´m not a real houstonian...so i´ll know i never become a member of the true rockets-family...but i luv em....don´t care if they suck....i still luv em...

i sweat, cry and bleed with the rockets....

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Of course; I don't think that many people are denying that. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me, it seems like the pro-Ming crowd does a better job realizing both sides than the anti-Ming crowd.

3. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

Cat- What our, and by that I guess I am talking about the anti-Ming faction, problem is that there are a lot of reasons not to take the guy and only the possibility of him being good to take him. If we work out the kinks with the Chinese gov and if he is alowed to play and entire season and if his body holds up and if he doesn't get culture shocked back to China and if he gets along with the team then he MIGHT be good? It just doesn't make sense to me to put your eggs in one basket. We were blessed with the best bargaining chip in the NBA and I (and many others on this bbs and I think most basketball fans) are weary of using this hot commodity on an unproven talent that has his decisions made for him by a third party. I we get Ming, I'll support him but I think that we would be better served by trading the pick and shoreing up multiple positions in order to be a Mavs/Kings team. We saw both of these type teams succeed, indeed that is the consensus future of the game. My problem is also that most of the pro Ming folks don't acknowledge that there is a great possibilty the guy will not even attain Rik Smits status.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Can you tell the future? I doubt it. So how can you tell us that he is only going to be a decent player when you yourself don't have a clue what the guy can do. I mean it's funny "No I've never seen the guy, and I don't have a clue what he'll do, but he'll only be decent" Oh ok! Unless you're going to tell us that Patrick and Hakeem were one of the Top 50 All-time players as soon as they came out of college, then yeah it's fair to compare Ming to them and see if he can develop to their level. He is a 7-5 center who is only 22 years old, about the age Hakeem and Patrick were when they came into the League. So are you tell me Hakeem and Patrick were 30 year old, all-time greats the minutes they started their NBA careers?

<b>Ming haters? Because no one thinks he's as good as Hakeem, except for delusional dreamers?

The guy's a bum compared to Hakeem and Patrick.</b>

Really? A guy who hasn't played a game in the NBA is a bum next to Hakeem and Patrick. If you're comparing Ming now to Patrick and Hakeem during their NBA peaks then that is silly. That's like comparing Gasol to Bill Russell and calling him a bum. Or saying "You can talk about Jay Williams in the same breath as Isiah Thomas, he'll only be a decent player and a bum. Isiah is one of the Top 50 all-time greats"!

#24 RocksMillenium, Jun 8, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2002
  5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

You're a Junior Member, but you could be Marty Blake! There are no cliques around here!

:D

6. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

How quickly we forget.

Shawn Bradley the beanpole used to shut down Hakeem. In 1999 there were tons of threads titled 'tall white guy shuts down Hakeem'.

Certainly Ming is far better than Bradley ever was, he would give Hakeem huge fits.

I love Hakeem and loved it hugely when he schooled Shaq in the finals vs. Orlando. That was a classic demonstration of power and grace. I wonder how it would have turned out with Ming defending him back then.

7. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

BTW:
    We will probably get to see the Ming/Hakeem matchup twice next season. The press will go nuts for that one!!

8. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

HERETIC! Go read the sacred scrolls. :mad: