1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Just a thought] Would the Clippers want McGrady?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, May 20, 2009.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think there's a real good opportunity to deal McGrady to the Clippers where both sides would be happy.

I would deal him for Marcus Camby and Eric Gordon and be ecstatic about it.

I think the Clippers could realistically be a contender with a team that includes Kaman, Zach Randolph, Al Thornton, Blake Griffin, McGrady, Mardy Collins, Ricky Davis, Baron Davis and Mike Dunleavy.

I also think that Camby would be an EXCELLENT addition since his skills are needed - backup C who can start easily, blocks shots (we're horriffic at this), and rebounds like a mad man. It would allow us to rest Yao a lot and also gives us the option of doing what Phoenix did with Shaq - rest Yao on all back-to-backs.

Eric Gordon is a nice young player who could develop into a solid starter.

Thoughts?

P.S. I realize Camby is a free agent, but admittedly don't know how that affects this kind of deal happening.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The Clippers have a glut of bigmen and bad contracts. The players they want to move are Davis and Kaman.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Is he? One site shows another year left on his contract.

4. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

McGrady will tell Stephen A. Smith that he's having microfracture surgery on his other knee if we don't trade him quickly and quitely.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He is owed $9,650,000 for 2009-2010

"Camby's contract is very team-friendly. After a number of years battling through injuries, Camby is coming off two strong seasons. His contract is incentive-laced based on both performance and number of games played.

Technically Camby is guaranteed just $8 million. His compensation scales upward by $500k each if he plays in at least 50, 55, 60 and 65 games.

If he does indeed play in at least 65 games, Camby's salary increases by another $250k if he averaged a minimum of 10 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks per game.

Should Camby's numbers get as high as 11.5 points, 10.7 rebounds and 2.6 blocks, his total compensation could be as high as $11,787,500."

6. dexkk

dexkk Member

Well Mcgrady makes 23 mil so that deal wont work unless they add more players. Also, there's no guarantee Mcgrady will be ready for the season opener and even if he is, his condition is questionable. Most teams that are looking at Mcgrady as a method of capspace won't consider it until the trade deadline.

7. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

haha.

they might be willing to give us their #1 pick next year if we take on baron davis.

they might even be willing to give us eric gordan if we take on kaman.

8. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I don't like the idea of trading with the Clips. There is abdolutely NO ONE i want from the Clips except Camby and Gordon.

Anyone else would kill chemistry, especially B-Diddy.

That leaves the above player who don't come close to adding up to T-Mac's contract.

9. PointForward

PointForward Member

this is absurd and ridiculous on so many levels.. will ya please define "chemistry" and then justify your ludicrous claim that Baron Davis, one of the greatest point guards of all time and probably a top 5 scorer in the league, would "destroy" it?

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yes and yes. And the funny guy, Randolph, he can't do anything but put up big numbers...and lose. Meanwhile, ZBo will share the ball and play nice with Griffin?

Poor Blake Griffin...

11. SBK#2

SBK#2 Rookie

I agreed with your statement until I read the second bolded part.

Dumb and Dumber

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Clippers are not trading Eric Gordon...or so they see him as a big piece of their future...

BUT...these ARE the Clippers we are talking about.

13. Pringles

Pringles Member

Clippers Untouchables (I assume)

Eric Gordan
    Al Thornton (maybe, maybe not)
    # 1 Pick

I would also like Al Thornton. He is a scorer... sometimes efficient...

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

And I'd take them both. For the following reasons:

1) McGrady isn't coming back anywhere close to the McGrady of old (unless you mean the non-dunking McGrady).
    2) McGrady has shown (especially this past few months) that he isn't quite the team player you'd like to see on your team.
    3) McGrady's contract is only tradable for bad contracts - that's the reason they are trading for it. I don't think you can get 2 better players for McGrady's contract. I'd like to even throw in Dorsey's and some other small mistakes as a little house keeping.
    4) We need players and letting McGrady's contract expire will not give us any significant salary cap relief to sign another player. So basically letting his contract expire helps the owner (LT relief) but not the team.

15. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

just a thought, [just a thought] threads should be just a post in just an off-season trade suggestion thread. thanks for reading.

16. ILoveTheRockets

I would rather try to trade for Outlaw. Thornton isn't all that efficient, and seems to be lost more often than not. I like Thornton, but he just isn't right for this team.

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Okay let us understand Donald Sterling. He is and always has been about making a profit. He is in a market that in spite of the Lakers can do that. He has a simple formula. If a talent can help you win you pay a little more otherwise you keep your payroll as low as possible. He obviously thought Baron and Brand would bring victories and he was willing to pay for both. Brand didn't sign Baron didn't deliver victories and Eric Gordon emerged as someone with talent who could take Barons place at a significant savings. Sterling sees Davis as a potential injury away from losing 50 milion bucks. So he is willing to trade him at all cost.

Now let me explain why your trade is stupid. First it doesn't work Camby and Gordon get you halfway there. The Rockets still have to take on Baron's long contract to match salaries. Second everything I said on top is true Gordon is the cheaper version of Baron and much healthier too. Third the Rockets have a championship Potential team if they could just stay healthy... Davis likely to be injured even more than Yao or Mcgrady. 4th the only reason would take tmac is to onload davis. That is the only reason. The rockets would have to be in love with davis to make that deal. I think they or not. 5th Les described the Rockets as being in predatory mode. which means they are looking to eat financially struggling teams and still their best players for nothing. Right now Tmac is nothing. But we have to get value. Baron Davis is just an injury away from ending his career. Too big a risk... they are looking for Granger type player.

So this trade fails before it can even begin. Clippers want Gordon and do not want Davis.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Let me tell you why you are stupid Old Man.

1) I admitted that I didnt know the details regarding contracts. This is why I wrote [Just a thought] in the title.

2) Your opinion doesn't make anyone else's stupid.

3) I completely disagree with what you have said. Gordon can never and will never be Davis. Baron is a strong PG. Davis is a small SG. Baron is a terriffic passer. Gordon is nowhere near being a floor general. Baron has significant playoff experience. Gordon does not. Gordon has not shown that he can replace Baron. He has only showed that he is a promising player following his rookie season. If you think Sterling would be willing to terminate Baron's contract based on Gordon's first season, that is unrealistic IMO.

4) Rockets are not a championship team because I don't believe T-Mac fits well with the rest of the team and we need to make better use of that $20m. This is an opinion. You know what that is?

5) FYI, you can throw either Baron or Z-Bo or Kaman into this trade. Nevermind that it can be a 3-way or 4-way trade.

6) I respect your opinion that Davis is an injury away from ending his career. However, personally, I think you're way off. He played 65 games this season and clearly could have played in more games if LAC were in the running for anything.

7) McGrady's name sells jerseys. A lot of them. Plus he has one season remaining. He is exactly the kind of player that fits into your description of Sterling's moves. Although I think that your opinion of him is about 5 years old. That's my opinion.

8) Les and Morey are smarter than to ONLY look at financially struggling teams. No doubt they see that as an opportunity, but Morey's history shows that he is way too smart to ignore anything like... ummm.. the rest of the league. No one is saying they will ONLY prey on the financially troubled.. Just that they will be keeping an eye on that.

Open your mind a bit. I'm throwing out some ideas here for discussion. I'm not putting a trade confirmation request on Stu Jackson's desk. Thanks.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yes you are right I am a stupid old man. That is the only thing you got right in your stupid posts!

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Before starting stupid trade threads, at least check to see if they would even work:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

The guy the Clippers want to get rid of is Zach Randolph. They are going to draft Blake Griffin and he will start immediately.