1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So my boss is having an affair

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The_Yoyo, May 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Asian Sensation

That's very cute of you to stand up for your internet homie. I didn't know you guys hung out.

Way to twist my words though. I was actually watching out for Yoyo's best interest by telling him not to say anything which is what I would do. But to each his own.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Pretty much every company I've heard of deals with that stuff anonymously, so no one would ever have to know that it was due to an e-mail or due to Yoyo that the information was revealed to the owner.

Either way, apparently I'm in the minority, but if it's your job to bring this stuff to the attention of your company, I don't think you can let things like worrying about your own pay raises and advancement get in the way... otherwise you're severely compromising your ability to do your job (and yes, if you change the way you do your job because it might hurt you personally, that is unethical)

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Its very cute of you to come in a thread and start calling people drama queens on the internet and then act like you aren't part of the problem.

You were being abrasive and disingenuous.

Don't try to backtrack now.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah i don't have the necessary expertise on whats the best thing to do when I read an email with sexual content between the CIO and HR manager..

i would think forward it right way to a higher up..

not describe to the bbs what happened and wait for their opinion..

5. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Contributing Member

<b>The_Yoyo's dinner conversation with his owner. </b>

Yoyo: Good evening Sir. :(
    Owner: Good evening Yoyo. You seem distracted....

Yoyo: Thank you for your concern sir. It's kind of awkward to bring this up to you, but it's my job and responsibility to inform you on the situation regarding Mr.CIO and Ms.HR.
    Owner: You are not at work now Yoyo, just relax and tell me what's on your mind.

Yoyo: Mr.CIO and Ms.HR has been FARKING each other!
    Owner: O RLY?

Yoyo: I got an e-mail alert from our Company's mail filter system blah..blah..blah..... Mr.CIO _l_ Ms.HR (.)(.) while I was doing some indepth research on internet p*rn's affect on office work efficiency.
    Owner: (Mr.Spock raised eyebrow look) Interesting! Tell me every detail as much as possible! Wait.. and forward that e-mail to me ASAP!

Yoyo: Yes Sir.... what should I do in the mean time?
    Owner: Just keep this between you and me, I will take care of the rest. Excellent work Yoyo! I can tell you'll have a bright future in our company.

Yoyo: (relieved) Thank you sir, I'm just doing my job.

Nothing happened as Yoyo gets more nervous everyday, until Owner finally invite him to his home for dinner a week later.

<b>Dinner II conversation.</b>

YoYo: Good evening Sir.
    Owner: Good to see you Yoyo, you look fabulous!

Yoyo: Er.. thank you Sir. you look...you look fabulous too.
    Owner: (Big smile) I know! You got good taste as well! Come sit with me Yoyo.

Yoyo: Sorry to bring this up again Sir, have you decided what to do with Mr.CIO and Ms.HR? Should I just forget about this whole thing like nothing ever happen?
    Owner: Don't worry about it, everything is under control.

Yoyo: So.. everything is okay now Sir?
    Owner: Okay? it's more than just okay! Life has been fabulous like you, and amazing like the NBA refs!

Yoyo: Huh ???? :confused:
    Owner: I've had a fascinating private conversation with Mr.CIO and Ms.HR after our last dinner. They open up a whole new world to me. ;)

Yoyo: I don't understand Sir....
    Owner: Oh... sorry about taking so long to get back to you Yoyo, but I was having so much fun with my friends I forgot about time.

Yoyo: It's really no problem Sir.
    Owner: My friends really like you, they will like you join us as well.

Yoyo: Hmm... I don't believe I met any of your friends before Sir.
    Owner: Well.... let me re-introduce them to you then.

Both Mr.CIO and Ms.HR walks out from the hallway in S&M outfit licking their lips, staring at Yoyo with burning fire......

Yoyo faints................

1 person likes this.
  6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Whats done is done, he came here for advice... past actions are irrelevant now. Should he have posted this on a public forum? Maybe not... but he asked for opinions on the matter of what his course of action should be now, and that is what are trying to address at the moment.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

vl: just some clarification

my boss isnt around at the moment at a conference

one of my duties for the position i have is exchange admin and everything that goes with it any alerts get sent to me and me alone...it was mandated that way from upper management 2 years ago when I deployed the server because they did not want to get emails that honestly for the most part they would not even understand

as much as AS may call me a "peon" trying to "make it" that is not the case...i am in the dreaded class of middle management at the company so I have dealt with some issues in the past that without issues and upper management have given me a lot of freedom in terms of how I work and manage both myself and the employees that report to me.

but back to the topic i do plan to talk to the owner and explain to him, honestly i just want him to know so if something does happen down the line (if either one of the them slips up and their SO finds about the affair) I do not want to be held accountable. Considering the structure of the company right now I am almost 90% positive the owner will not do anything to either person but will be glad to know whats going on.

I have no personal gain in this but I have a lot to lose if not reported.

MB - thanks for your insight it has been helpful

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

You guys realize this discussion is basically one of those scenarios in every large company's yearly ethics training module, right?

"Your boss is involved with someone else in the company, and graphic e-mails have been exchanged over the intranet--a clear violation of company policy. As an IT supervisor, you have the unfortunate task of dealing with this problem. Do you:

A. Confront your boss and ask him not to do it again

B. Contact your Ethics department (or your boss's superior if you don't have an Ethics department)

C. Forget about it--you don't want your boss to hate you or treat you differently

D. Forward the e-mail to the entire company

Now discuss amongst your groups, and we will see the solution in a moment."

9. Precision340

Precision340 Member

yeah.. and then blackmail HR lady and get a bj.. yes!!! score baby!! :D

i kid, i kid.. that's sad forreals.. shiet like that happens almost at every company unfortunately... :(

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

that's what I'm saying he shouldn't let them know that he has actually read the email and sat on it for a couple of days.. the boss may not care but still give the cio and/or the hr manager a heads up or friendly reminder.. the cio and/or hr manager asks who told him and the owner tells..

IMO, he should let the owner or some higherup.. whoever he is really supposed to be reporting this to.. that he recently noticed the quarantine box has an email from an upper management address which contains inappropriate language and forward this to them..

in the future there should be a policy of what to do right away if this comes up or add upper management in the alert notification for stuff like this..

11. Precision340

Precision340 Member

dude, what if the owner already knows.. or worse, he's banging HR lady also?!! shiet will hit the fan, man!! but you're right, though.. you gotta report that shiet!

12. SBK#2

SBK#2 Rookie

like a boss

13. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

No kidding. It seemed like a pretty textbook hypothetical to me.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I will ask the "DON'T SAY ANYTHING, KEEP QUIET" camp: Would you want me to keep quiet what I know about your boss cheating on you with your wife, then ask "why didn't you tell me if you knew? I hate you!" ?? :( I sure hope you answer no.

I am putting on my System Administrator hat on here, just for a few seconds:
    JUST TODAY I received an email from someone with a Word document that contained passwords and usernames. Do you think I stayed quiet because I had "nothing to gain"? :mad: CRAP no: I sent them an email and told them how much of a breach of security that was, and then reported it to my superiors in a flash.

You report that stuff, else you have no backbone or you're scared of following the rules. And, no, it is NOT different, it's DOING YOUR JOB. Rest assured that when the stuff hits the fan, YoYo will be called in to testify what he "knew", and people will praise him for doing what's right.

Holy crap, this is tough.

SeƱor YoYo, I know you had a feeling to do something about it before you came here to talk about it. I know you'll come out ahead, sir. :eek:

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If I had this opportunity I would have already made 7 figures and ruined several lives.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

It's good to stay out of it, the personal stuff, but work stuff, don't you report it? if not why?

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

MB is right you have to report it to the owner...do the job you are entrusted to do....

But realize your boss is going to KNOW who told the owner.....so whether you give him a heads up is up to you.

I would not give him a heads up....I would go to the owner and when confronted by him (which you will be)...tell him you had an ethical obligation to report it, but at least you are keeping it quiet.....

Tell him you respect his right to privacy etc, just don't use company email...

DD

PS. Also make sure you have a forwarded copy.....to a private email box outside..to protect yourself going forward.....a printed copy will not be good enough......if it goes to court some day.

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You would be surprised of the circumstances sometimes. Don't always perceive the wife and bf as the victim.

One time a girl tried to seduce me, while her bf was at the club with her. I didn't take her up on the offer.

Months later, I learned that they were swingers from another girl.

The CIO and his wife could be in an open relationship and staying together for business reasons. It's like how some NBA players are married, but have girlfriends on the side.

19. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Awesome thread.

I still would have to read a copy of the email before I make my decision on whether or not I would tell the boss. Safer route is to speak up, but there is a lot of potential for backlash for reporting it (as wrong as that is).

Good luck! After you tell the boss, any chance you will post the email? haha

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This thread has gotten out of hand.

I'm in the "tell the boss" camp. You have to tell the boss because that is exactly what your job calls for. You do a few things by telling the boss:

A. You clear you conscience, which seems pretty important (as evidenced by this thread).
    B. You do your job.
    C. You see exactly what kind of company this is. If it's something that is really worth sticking with. (If people are going to harass you about doing your job, the job is not worth it...and you could possibly take legal action....so make a copy of the email)
    D. You could possibly set yourself up for a promotion.

My guess is that you tell the boss and he sweeps it under the rug.

Good Luck!