1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China Trip Off; Bulls Play Dirty

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Franchize3, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

2. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

The report seems to take the last few days info and put it as a "story". I don't think that "reporter" had the latest info when it went to print.

The trip is on.

3. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

China trip is on bro!!! What you just posted was some junk out of a Chicago paper that has very little to do with the fact that the Rockets Management is clearly going to China to negotiate with Yao Ming's representatives. Shanghai or bust for the Rockets......

http://www.nba.com/rockets/

Rockets Heading To China
    June 7 - The Rockets have accepted an invitation from Shanghai Sharks officials to meet in China regarding the availability of Yao Ming for the 2002 NBA Draft. Rockets General Counsel Michael Goldberg received an invitation last night from Shanghai Sharks President Bai Li to meet with him and General Manager Li Yaomin. Goldberg is the lead negotiator for the Rockets and has the authority to act on behalf of the Rockets on matters related to Yao Ming. “We have complete confidence in Michael’s ability to complete this negotiation successfully,” said Rockets owner Leslie Alexander. Goldberg will be accompanied by general manager Carroll Dawson, Head Coach Rudy Tomjanovich, and media relations director Nelson Luis on the trip to China.

4. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

Umm, its dated June 7, 2002.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True the article was dated June 7th, but the information in it seems older than the information about the fax from the Sharks, and so I believe the most recent information is that the China trip is a go.

6. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

dude, just because something is dated and put out by the media does not make it breaking news.........BREAKING NEWS is what is posted several hours ago on the Rockets official website for the 2nd & final time:

www.nba.com/rockets

Rockets Heading To China
    June 7 - The Rockets have accepted an invitation from Shanghai Sharks officials to meet in China regarding the availability of Yao Ming for the 2002 NBA Draft. Rockets General Counsel Michael Goldberg received an invitation last night from Shanghai Sharks President Bai Li to meet with him and General Manager Li Yaomin. Goldberg is the lead negotiator for the Rockets and has the authority to act on behalf of the Rockets on matters related to Yao Ming. “We have complete confidence in Michael’s ability to complete this negotiation successfully,” said Rockets owner Leslie Alexander. Goldberg will be accompanied by general manager Carroll Dawson, Head Coach Rudy Tomjanovich, and media relations director Nelson Luis on the trip to China.

7. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

Whatever. Rox may be headed East. But NOTHING happens unless the Sharks agree. NOTHING.

8. Live

Live Member

You're really hoping that Ming doesn't work out, aren't you?

9. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

How is Chicago playing dirty? I guess Houston is playing dirty inviting Williams to a private workout. If Golden State inquires about Ming, are they playing dirty?

Chicago has the 2nd pick, and Krause will be stuck with Ming if the Rockets trade for proven talent. I did not read anything negative in that story. They were just quoting recent reports and missed todays latest "soap opera" changes. Who knows what the story will be by tomorrow?

Wang is an interesting question. I think he is dodging China. Its a fact that he was recalled to China, has he gone? No. Its a fact that he is suppose to be working out for summer tournaments (like Ming), is he there? No. I think there is more to the story then we are lead to believe.

I think China would rather act like everything is cool, then admit that somebody wants out of their control. Is it a coincidence that the only tournament Wang guaranteed he would be available for, was the one on US soil?

10. heech

heech Contributing Member

Both facts are distributed by one source: Mark Cuban and the Dallas news sources.

Both are also honest enough to admit they haven't been able to get in touch with Wang. Wang's translator on the Mavericks organization is quoted as saying he hasn't talked to him since the last flight back from Sacramento (which *really* means no one on the Mavs have talked to him since Sacramento).

Do you really believe Cuban has an accurate grip on what Wang is supposed to be doing this summer?

You're certainly entitled to any speculation you'd like.

I don't know Wang personally, I don't know the journalists who claimed to have talked to Wang on the phone in LA personally... and I don't know anyone in the Chinese basketball authorities personally. So I'm not going to say you're wrong, because I don't know all of the facts. But everything we *do* know does nothing to substantiate your theory.

Your theory is as unproven as... well, me claiming that Wang Zhizhi is actually part of a Martian invasion force, here to evaluate Earth's physical abilities by playing against our best athletes in basketball. The fact that he has left Dallas just proves the invasion is imminent.

The tournament Wang guaranteed he'd be available for also happens to be the most important one in the series. China is widely expected to repeat as champions in the Asian championships. The World Championships is a chance for the Chinese National Team to face up against Olympic-calibre competition.

Hopefully, you see the difference.

11. Major

Major Member

well, me claiming that Wang Zhizhi is actually part of a Martian invasion force, here to evaluate Earth's physical abilities by playing against our best athletes in basketball. The fact that he has left Dallas just proves the invasion is imminent.

I need to tell my parents to get the hell out of Dallas!!

12. mfclark

mfclark Member

Typically if they are the ones extending the invitation, then they are agreeing.

The trip is on, no matter what Krause (or the Ming haters) want.

13. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Good grief people. What has Krause done wrong?

He's spent thousands of dollars scouting the guy, and Houston still isn't guaranteed to take Ming.

Why is he playing dirty if he's covering his bases? If he didn't and was caught unawares when you traded the pick for Peja then you'd slam him for NOT having his bases covered...

gee whiz...

14. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I think what people are insinuating is that Krause is involved in trying to apply more red tape to this situation to discourage us from taking him. Is that such a stretch?

15. mfclark

mfclark Member

I never said he did anything wrong. Whether he wants Ming or not, the Rockets are the ones going to China to do the negotiation, whether he likes that or not. He's got the 2nd pick and if he wants Ming that badly, he's going to have to start talking major trade.

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/story?id=1392062</i>

Here's a similar article from ESPN's site.

Here's an excerpt:

<i>Meanwhile, according to a broadcast report Friday, the Rockets have notified the Sharks that they'd like to have a long-term relationship with the 7-foot-5 center. Shanghai general manager Li Yaomin told Houston television station KRIV in a telephone interview his team had received a letter it had requested earlier in the week giving the Rockets' assurance that if they draft Yao June 26 they will keep him and not trade him.

"The process is now at the stage I have been waiting for. We can now meet face to face with the Rockets and the real negotiations can begin,'' Li told the station through interpreter John Dao, a Houston businessman who is the Sharks' local spokesman. "I am extremely happy with the Rockets' expression of a long-term relationship with Yao Ming.''</i>

17. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

I tend to like my crow slowly baked. How do you eat yours?

<a href="http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20020608-3489931.htm">Still Not A Done Deal...</a>

(From the Washington Times)

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This is old stuff too. Eric was assigned by Yao as a representative not an agent. He was supposed to get the ball rolling for Yao since he could not be here. The sharks want to make it clear that Eric had negotiating power because Amiericans tend to jump the gun and assume a whole bunch of stuff. It doesn't matter who his agent is because CD and company are going to meet with Bai Li who is the person who owns his contract with the Sharks. Its a done deal