1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want as starting PG next season: Lowry or Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WeMissDekeMan, May 18, 2009.

?

Who do you want as starting PG next season?

1. Aaron Brooks

54.4%
  2. Kyle Lowry

45.6%
  1. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Let's say No trades will be made for our PGs in the off-season, and Let's say these guys will both remain as a Houston Rocket, no Steve Nash nothing. Just Aaron Brooks and Kyle Lowry. Who would you want to start at PG?

Here are the benefits for each of them starting and coming off the bench.

Brooks Starting.
    Benefits From Starting
    -3 Point shooting - He benefits a lot with his ability to spread the floor with his 3 point shooting. It will be key for Yao Ming when he has the ball down in the low-post especially when he is doubled.
    -Can score the ball. If we need scoring, we know what Aaron is clearly capable of, and that's scoring the basketball.
    -His quickness will always be useful when there are PGs faster or just as fast as he is. Although he is a sub par defender, his speed can still be very useful defensively. Offensively, his quickness is very useful when he drives the lane.

Benefits from the Bench
    -FREEDOM. Aaron will have the freedom to score the ball as many times as he wants, to have the freedom to pass the ball and work on his decision making with Carl Landry inc..... He will not be restricted to passing the ball to Yao Ming every single time and our hairs won't be gray when he fails to do so.
    -Scorers from the bench, In my opinion whether or not Von Wafer comes back, I still think we need more scorers in the bench. Our starting lineup is loaded with scorers like Luis Scola, Yao Ming and Ron Artest. We need at least 2 scorers in the bench and Aaron Brooks and Von Wafer would be perfect at it.
    -Learning from mistakes, He will get to play with 2 finishers by the name of Carl Landry and Von Wafer. He really cannot play much worse from the bench and even if he does our starting lineup can make it up. This will help his decision making and passing skills when he plays with 2 great finishers

Lowry Starting.
    Benefits from Starting
    -Ability to create for others - His ability to create for our other players will be extremely key especially for our shooters and finishers. Our shooters like Ron Artest and Shane Battier and our finishers like Luis Scola and Yao Ming.
    -Defensive ability - Kyle has proven that he is actually a great defensive PG and that he is willing to fight picks and screens just to stay in front of his man. I think our defense will improve even more if Lowry starts.
    -Can play in a restricted system - In the starting lineup, it seems very restricted and it seems like the only goal in the starting lineup is to pass the ball to Yao Ming. Kyle Lowry is one of our team's best passers. Lowry has done a good job when he has had the chance to play with Yao Ming to give him the entry pass. He will also be able to drive the lane and beat the fronting if he is given the chance to start or play with Yao.

Benefits from the Bench
    -Needs to create for the finishers on the bench - We have 2 other players who are great finishers on the bench and that's Von Wafer and Carl Landry. Lowry is an excellent passer and he could benefit a lot and has been benefit a lot with playing with those two.
    -Calms the 2nd unit - Our 2nd unit with Von Wafer can get out of control sometimes, and Lowry has the leadership to calm the 2nd unit from getting out of control and spinning crazy.
    -Defensive ability - There is not too much defense in the 2nd unit compared to our starting lineup, We might need a guy like Kyle Lowry slowing players down from attacking the rim. He's one of our team's better defenders, not near Shane and Artest, but still an above average defender if not better.

In my opinion, I'd prefer Kyle Lowry starting. Simply because he would make our scorers lives a lot easier. Yao Ming wouldn't have to create his own shot every single time anymore and Yao won't have trouble getting the entry pass because Aaron is incapable of passing it to him. Aside from that, I think Kyle Lowry's ability to play in a restricted system is also very key for this team. Aaron seems to have played a lot better when he was playing in the 2nd unit earlier in the 08-09 regular season. Aaron and Yao do not mesh well and Lowry cannot mesh with Yao any worse than Aaron did. I highly suggest Lowry if both these guys end up staying.

2. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Aaron has really proven himself this postseason.

I feel like he could become a Jameer Nelson type player: Can turn it on when he needs to, but is a pass first PG.

3. ibm

ibm Member

where is the "other" option (such as nash, baron davis, calderon, etc.)?

4. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

You know...It would really really really help me a lot if you actually read the post instead of just voting right away

Here's what I said in the very beginning of the post.

5. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Under the OP's conditions I voted Lowry but I would really like the Rockets to trade Brooks while his stock is still this high. He is a gimick point guard with low basketball IQ

6. ibm

ibm Member

sorry. :D

lowry it is then. i've been saying it from the 3rd game he played as a rocket.

7. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I really want whichever point guard comes into training camp prepared and wins the starting job thru performance in practice and the preseason games. I don't have a preference, as both players have aspects that are great in a starting role, and great in a 2nd unit role. Brooks' advantage he had over Lowry this season was familiarity within the system so they should be close to even footing in that regard come training camp.

8. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Kyle Lowry; he can pass

Brooks; he can shoot

What does point guard do again?

9. Hak34

Hak34 Member

?????......"Pass first"

10. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Give Aaron some time guys.

11. v_sunny

v_sunny Member

neither AB nor KL,We need NASH!!

12. aws311

aws311 Member

is there a t-mac level or even 10m+ player coming? or 70%+ t-mac himself back?
    if so, lowry,
    fi no, ab.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can not start Kyle Lowry, he is not a good enough shooter, it will be like Rafer all over again.

He has to learn to shoot before he gets to start.

Brooks is way better at this point, it is not even close.

DD

14. aws311

aws311 Member

to make it clear, if there will be one more player on court demanding ball and scoring together with Ron and Yao.

15. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Are you trying to break the record for posts per day? 41 per day? Really?

Really?

16. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

I have. But I have a hard time letting a 6'0 Point guard who was a senior 2 years ago in College for the Oregon Ducks and still have such a low basketball IQ. Unless he got dumber because he didn't play in a year, I have a hard time giving him a chance.

I would still like to see him improve, just hard to imagine really. I would want him starting if T-Mac were starting but T-Mac ain't back until 2010.

17. rockets_fanatic

Lowry is a better passer than Brooks and can score in the paint. Unlike Alston, he doesn't settle for floaters, he will make sure he gets to the basket and gets to the line. You do not have to take the open look, there is enough room when we swing the ball for Kyle to drive to the bucket.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

In the postseason against the elite competition here are the comparitive stats between Lowry and Brooks.

Link to postseason stats

Brooks

16.8ppg
    .453 FG%
    .422 3pt %
    3.4 APG
    2.2 Tpg
    1.52 Asst/To ratio

Lowry

5.3ppg
    .333FG%
    .250 3pt%
    2.5 APG
    1.8 Tpg
    1.88 Asst/To Ratio

Come on people it is NOT EVEN CLOSE.....Brooks is going to be fine, a scoring PG.....he is so much better than Lowry....man....I can't believe this thread is even this close.....

One guy stepped up significantly in the playoffs, the other one basically tanked.....

As I post this it is 29-29..I am going to bed and hoping the more knowledgable fans will vote later...and put this one in the proper column.

DD

#18 DaDakota, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

why does this always happen? when rafer was here everyone complains of brooks not starting, now that rafer is long gone and brook has finally gotten his start, people wants lowry to start. do i see a trend here...

so now we are going to trade brooks in 2 years and lowry gets the start, then we'll complain about lowry and trade him...

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think Aaron would be better suited to come off the bench, not because he's worse than Lowry, but simply because I think he's more effective when Yao isn't on the court.