1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finding a backup center for Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chenjy9, May 18, 2009.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I really think that our backup center will come via trade and the two spots I really like are Milwaukee and LA Clippers as both franchises are soooooo Money strapped that they would take T-MAC's expiring contract. LA Clippers I think would finally take T-MAC and I would love to get back Baron Davis and Marcus Camby as both want out asap, that would fit our needs perfectly but it could be a time bomb waiting to go off not sure! The darkhorse could be Milwaukee because they want to get rid of Richard Jefferson badly and you thrown in Gadzuric who is a legit 7 footer(6-11) who would be the back up center we need. I really like the Clippers deal but Davis' contract and attitude really worry me while Jefferson and Gadzuric would only have 2 years left on the books instead of Davis' 5 years.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I think if we keep Wafer, Barry is completely superfluous, I think you have an odd idea of what Sean Williams could give us.

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2009/01/new_jersey_nets_sean_williams_1.html

He's approaching Artest crazy off the court (and not the kind that gives great message board signature fodder), and apparently doesn't want to play inside on it.

He's a poor man's Keon Clark on the court, with just as much wackiness off of it. Williams is a guy who apparently doesn't want to play inside (see link above, he decided he wants to be a 3...even though he can't shoot). Yes, he's a terrific weak side shot blocker and can finish a dunk, but he lacks the strength to be a good man up post defender.

I know you're going to hate hearing this, but I don't think Sean Williams beats out Chuck Hayes for minutes at the 5.

That said, I would've been in favor of swapping Luther Head for him at the deadline, and would also probably be in favor of swapping Barry for a guy like him as well.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Somewhat disagree. In Games 5 & 7 when LA actually felt like playing, Hayes looked just as bad as Scola and Landry. I am certain in Game 7, I saw Hayes have inside position on Gasol and Pau just reached right over him for the rebound.

What I have difficulty "selling" to the legions of Chuck Hayes fans here is that shot blockers generally run the floor well, can play either C or PF, and have an easier time finishing in heavy traffic. (I've seen Hayes air-ball from 2 feet enough times that I'm sick of it).

IOW, it's not JUST the shot blocking...it's what skills USUALLY come with that package.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Well, while I was enjoying the new and improved uptempo Rockets, strange things were happening in NJ that I ignored on League Pass. :D Marv Albert does the Nets' games...wonder what kind of fun he had with that?

But correspondingly, (and it seems we agree) that's the salary range and skill set you take a flyer on with the 13th -15th roster spot.

5. SBK#2

SBK#2 Rookie

I like Krystic. Good midrange, might not be the physical backup we need but can definately play in a moving system for t he 2nd unit

6. pentajigga

pentajigga Member

didnt see if this was posted but krstic is not in russia, he was on OKC for the second half of this year.

7. dartsdragon

dartsdragon New Member

we should give Maarty Leunen a shot in the offseason, he's just like a young Okur right now though a bit undersized

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Sure, it could happen once in a while. But my impression was that more defensive breakdowns inside came from Scola or Landry than Hayes. I understand what you're saying about the shot-blocking. It would be interesting to see how much better lineups with good shot-blockers are in transition, or at offense more generally.

9. ruglymonk

ruglymonk Member

YEAH,find a backup center is the most seriously job.
    Yao's foot injure again because he do too much!
    and find a backup center ,then Yao will have more rest,and more efficiency

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I didn't go out of my to watch the Nets on League Pass, but actually caught a couple games in person while doing some work in the area. Williams definitely regressed from his solid, but erratic rookie year.

I think we do agree -- and it's why the Dorsey pick is a bit more confounding in retrospect. Dorsey would have been a great fit if he were 4 inches taller, but instead he's not very useful. Regardless of Landry staying, best case scenario is Dorsey makes Hayes redundant. I guess I just think Hayes is a guy who is in the 8-10th roster slot, and a 13th-15th guy isn't going to necessarily take his minutes.

As to the original topic, I've always thought the best way would be to get a talented, athletic, oversized 4 who could start next to Yao and slide to the 5 when he's out -- much like how the Lakers use Pau when Bynum goes out. Trouble is, those guys are usually all-stars and hard to find. There do happen to be a couple guys out there who could potentially be available (if TMac were to be traded): Bosh and Amare.

Another guy to take a look at is Andray Blatche in Washington. They seem to have some other decent front line talents in McGee and Pecherov, and Blatche is signed for another 3 years, though relatively cheap (3m+ per year). They may be open a trade like Cook+future 2nd rounder for Blatche -- an expiring contract to get out from the length of Blatche's contract. Blatche has good size, a decent offensive game, and can block shots. He's a bit of a hot dog and a black hole on offense, but he's only 22 and has 4 years in the league.

#170 NIKEstrad, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  11. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

I don't understand why everyone thinks McDyess is a great back up C. The guy would be perfect for the Rockets as a PF, not a C. He's only 6'9".

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well, im not 100% sure, but i think i've read that if you have very strong tendons and ligaments then a powerful stretch/twist could force them to pull on the bone enough to cause a crack...i guess if you have weak bones it would be much easier too

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Wallace isnt coming for mle
    Okur isnt backing Yao when he's a starter
    Gortat is going to be in high demand
    Kristic just signed this year
    Rasho is a option, but why do you want 2 slow, plodding center's?

We have the usual suspects in elson,magloire or maybe trade the te for booth of nj or williams of nj.

14. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

15. ibm

ibm Member

for real?

16. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Absolutely we would beat the Blazers even without Yao/Deke. Hayes is the best defensive PF on the team and would give Aldridge fits. As for Oden and Pryz, I would DARE Portland to feed those two guys the ball to take advantage of the supposed favorable matchups. Too bad for them neither player can be considered an offensive force.

17. ibm

ibm Member

if we could play with the same intensity against portland w/o yao and deke, the series may go 7 games and i suspect we'd lose.

chuck's defense is great, but pls don't overstate it. aldridge could easily shoot over his head. and alderidge is a better range shooter than pau gasol.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

What's funny about these threads are it seems like i'm a yr ahead :p . Wasnt that me saying the rox shouldve signed pj brown or magloire before the streak even started? Wasnt it me talking about magloire,elson,anderson,turiaf,mbenga or ratliff to give yao rest and in case he goes down we have a extra big guy. That was also me pissing and moaning that we took dorsey insetad of jordan. Yep, old leebigez always ahead of the curve. Maybe i need to go be a daytrader and make some of yall some money :D

19. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

No overstating. Give Chuck 30+ minutes a night on Aldridge and it would be one of LA's most embarrassing moments of his basketball career next to getting dominated by Big Baby in college.

20. ibm

ibm Member

i wish. but in the regular season, iirc, hayes didn't fare too well against aldridge.