1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brian Grant has Parkinson's Disease

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by WeMissDekeMan, May 18, 2009.

1. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=4174877

Best wishes to Brian Grant, He's a great person. I hope he gets better. :(

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's really shocking. Not only does it lead to motor incoordination and speech difficulties but mental health problems like depression,psychosis and dementia.
    In younger patients,motor incoordination problems are prominent, and the other things aren't that common but he will need life long treatment.
    Brian Grant was the Karl Malone stopper.I really wanted him on the Rockets in those days.
    Hope he gets better, and lives a productive life.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

That really sucks. I've seen firsthand how bad it becomes - you lose all independence. I wish him all the best.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

wow, very sad. he was one of my favorite players during his prime with sacramento and portland. this was the guy i wanted for pippen.

5. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Wow! He was a fierce rebounder and a decent PF. Wish him the best.

I wonder if it can be cured??

6. SBK#2

SBK#2 Rookie

Billion dollar question

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

The cure might be worth a billion dollars but "treatment" is worth countless billions for pharmaceutical companies.

You wonder why these companies spend so much money and resources in R&D for "treatments" such as chemo, but never come up with a "cure".

It is not just simply scientific/technological limitations. It's because treatments are far more lucrative than cures in the lifetime of a customer. I mean people will continue to pay for drugs that'll keep them alive no matter what the cost, why would they want to mess that up?

The guy who comes up with the cure for cancer will probably mysteriously end up dead somewhere.

8. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Wow that's very unfortunate. I wish him the best.

9. tofu--

tofu-- Member

lol are you serious?

im a grad student in pharmacology and while i do think that pharmaceutical companies are self-interested know that there's many of us busting our butts trying to find cures for numerous diseases. companies may swing a certain way and have their own agenda, but while their power is great, you should know that if a cure is found for something the hard evidence will be in a publication and scientists across the globe will see it. medicines and drugs take years to get on the market because of rigorous testing and yes, even as you mentioned (but not necessarily with the right reasons), some drug companies may not take on certain products.

there ARE dedicated scientists that are constantly trying to find ways to improve human health. i find it appalling that you'd think there's nothing but money-grubbers that aren't working for human betterment.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is pretty much the same thing that Ali and Michael J. Fox suffer from. Ali lighting the Olympic torch is still one of the greatest sports memories I think I have.

Alright Brian, I guess I forgive you and the Heat for raking Yao across his back and leaving a monstrous scratch on it his rookie season...

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Parkinson's has many different symptoms which are hard to treat. There is no cure,only symptomatic relief.

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I'm not saying there aren't scientists who are searching for these cures. I'm saying pharmaceutical companies are directing most of their attention and resources to areas which are most lucrative.

In my experience, I've come across doctors who don't necessarily try their hardest on getting the right diagnosis the first time, so that you will keep coming back. They will usually prescribe you something and say try it out and if it doesn't work come back and we'll try something else. It isn't in their best interest to get it right the first time; as more visits = more money. Of course not all doctors are like this, but many are - or they're simply incompetent. Either way they suck and are useless.

Pharmaceutical companies have their priorities screwed up. At the end of the day it's all about money and thats the world we live in. Politics is dirty and business is dirty.

13. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

I agree. I will actually go one step further and say that there are actual cures for many diseases but they are being suppressed by the gov't.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Out of Curiousity . . .where do these dedicated folks get their funding?

Rocket River

15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Damn, that sucks.... :confused:

16. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

May wanna keep your opinions about pharmaceutical companies in D&D. This is not the thread for that.

I liked Brian Grant as a player, and he always gets the tough assignments of stopping Shaq in the playoffs. He was gritty and always played tough, kinda like Chuck :-D

Best wishes to him and his family.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he was one of the good guys on a team full of knuckleheads, things like this seem to always happen to the good guys.

18. tofu--

tofu-- Member

krnxsnoopy, i agree with you and i misunderstood you as making a very broad generalization. i have had experiences similar to yours and needless to say it is/was very upsetting. there are a lot of people that are self-interested and money-driven, and as you mentioned, it is not limited to individuals but some corporations may not solely be working for human betterment. i certainly hope that things can change for the better.

i can only speak from the academic side of things but the majority of grants that are received come from the government. however there are many other sources for grants (i.e. charities and other organizations). if you are an decent grant-writer there are lots of small pockets of money that you can get that builds up fast as long as there's people interested in your project, although writing grants is not fun business.

i am unclear about the specifics of how pharmaceutical companies and any privately owned corporations exactly utilize or raise their funding.

yes sir.

regardless i am saddened by what happened to brian grant. i'll always remember the hairdos. i hope he and his family are managing through these tough times.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

KRAMER: I'll tell you what to do, I'll tell you what to do. You go to Tor Eckman. Tor, Tor, he'll fix you right up. He's a herbalist, a healer, George. He's not just

gonna fix the tonsils and the adenoids, he is gonna change the whole way you function - body and mind.

JERRY: Eckman? I thought he was doing time?

KRAMER: No, no, he's out. He got out. See, the medical establishment, see, they tried to frame him. It's all politics. But he's a rebel.

JERRY: A rebel? No. Johnny Yuma was a rebel. Eckman is a nut. George, you want to take care of your tonsils, you do it in a hospital. With a doctor.

KRAMER: He's holistic, George. He's holistic.

GEORGE: Holistic.. that sounds right.

20. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

If our govt suppresses them, then why don't other countries like China have cures? Does their government suppress them too? God, I hate conspiracy theories.