1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ten tough decisions the Rockets must make this off season.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, May 17, 2009.

1. Raven

Raven Member

The Rockets will be, or should be, making ten tough decisions this off season, and here is how I see them lining up. No drama please.

1. The Rockets just pushed LA to seven games, and they were missing Yao Ming for four of them, but what does this mean? That the team has heart, absolutely, but could they have won the series if Yao had not gotten hurt? Just how close are they to being a true Championship contender? How they answer this question will be the difference between them tweaking and retooling, between them making minor roster changes or making bolder moves that not just reshape the roster, but also their style of play.

2. Yao Ming. Going on the assumption that the Rockets have every intention of hanging onto Yao, the need for a legitimate backup center is stronger than ever. In fact, the word critical comes to mind. OK, but that's not the issue. The issue is how much does the organization want to invest in a backup. Are we talking about a 10 minutes a night backup, or a guy that can replace Yao Ming, without the Rockets seeing a massive decline on both sides of the court? Should the team invest heavily in Yao's eventual replacement, which means a younger player, with a unrefined game, or do they go with a savvy veteran on his last legs?

3. Artest. There are three super tough decisions the Rockets have to make about Ron. Do they want him back, and how much, how long? Ron will want max and max, meaning maximum years and maximum pay, but several factors work against him. Still, if Ron isn't happy about his contract, will he revert back to his old ways?

4. Von Wafer. The Rockets need bodies, they need athleticism, they need scoring, and Wafer has all that, but the Rockets do not need more distractions. This guy should tattoo a question mark on his forehead, and do the Rockets need more question marks?

5. Aaron Brooks. He can score. He can wear out opposing point guards. He has a nice shot. He's young. He's healthy. He has a terrific upside, and his contract is extremely small, so what's not to like? Well, I'm sure the Rockets like him, but do they like him as a starting point guard, or as a spark plug off the bench? With so many other holes, it's easy to see Morey penciling in Brooks as next year's starting point guard, but Brooks would make insanely valuable trade bait, if the Rockets decided to go with a more veteran presence at the point. Brooks might never have more trade value than he does right now. Just saying.

6. T Mac. He's gone, period. It's inconceivable that the Rockets would resign him to an extension given his history of health problems, but do they move him during the Summer or do they wait till the deadline, when his contract has more value? If the Suns are stinking up the joint in Jan, do the Rockets dangle T Mac's contract for one of their pieces? The possibilities are endless, but that means Tracy is going to be a huge distraction, since everyone will know he's going to be traded at the deadline. How would Tracy react to that?

7. The 2009 Draft. The Rockets don't have a pick, but have admitted that they'd like to buy one, or do they trade for one, possibly for that big man they need or maybe for some outside shooting? Still, a first round pick is a guaranteed contract, so I'm going to be very surprised if the Rockets go that direction. They are, after all, very close to the cap.

8. Free agency. Do the Rockets wait till 2010 or splurge in 2009? How can they exploit the buyer's market if they overpay Ron? The possibilities here are endless, but nothing happens on this front until the draft, and until they decide on what to do with Ron.

9. Leadership? Do the Rockets have enough of it? If Ron is resigned, who will keep him under control? Who is the Alpha dog that helps his teammates stay focused and mentally prepared? Who is going to police the locker room now that Deke is gone?

10. Enforcer. The Rockets were getting mauled by the Lakers, and didn't have a spare player to address that problem. The Rockets need a junk yard dog that can dish some pain, but they don't need a punk who creates more problems that he solves. It's a fine line, but this is the type of guy you acquire to address your weakness against specific teams, and the Lakers aren't going to forget what they got away with in this series, and neither are other teams, such as the Jazz.

3 people like this.
  2. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

if there going to trade tmac I want the same value coming back to houston, I want a f****** playmaker.

3. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Read Bimathug's thread. Financially re-signing McGrady would be the best option if he has a good year next year. And why would you trade him if he's playing well and the team is playing well next year before the deadline? Where's the sense in that? This is a total "wait and see" decision by Morey.

4. YaodaMing

YaodaMing Member

Yao breaks his legs every year.
    No one can control Ron Artest after he signed the contract.

5. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Hey, great post! All points will have to be considered now the season is over. This will be another interesting off-season. Can't wait to see our next move! :)

6. Raven

Raven Member

Because Tracy and Yao have a history of health problems, which makes keeping both of them too risky. I'd rather divide the money he makes into two healthy players.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Ron's going to demand a max deal? Really?

They're not just "very close to the cap", they're already over it for next season, even before re-signing Ron Ron. Having to pay a draftee isn't going to affect whether we're over the cap or not.

They're not going to be players this year and in all likelihood, they're not going to be players in 2010. The salary cap is a b****.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I really like the character of this team. But the offense was just never consistent enough, and I'm afraid some players need to go for us to take the next step. Year after year, this team wins games with their defense and despite their offense. To win a champion, you need to be very good on both ends. With both Tracy's and Yao's future on shaky ground, that could mean the rest of the roster needs to be revamped. I just wish we could bring everyone back, and they'd magically turn into an elite, championship-level team. But some sort of trade that involves one of these great role players is probably necessary, and that saddens me.

9. Raven

Raven Member

His agent wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't start the negotiations by asking for the max. As I already pointed out, how will Ron react if he's disappointed with his new contract.

It would impact how much luxury tax they have to pay, and signing a first round pick might hamper their ability to make a dead at the deadline.

The owner has already publicly stated that they were highly interested in the 2010 free agent market, and Les has a long history of loving to make splashy acquisitions. Of course, these comments were made before the economic collapse, so who knows.

10. lz56

lz56 Member

when the rockets resign yao. they need put a condition in the contact that he will stop play for CBA. a lot of people may not like it, but it is the only way to keep yao healthy.

11. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

FYI, it's not the Rockets who dictate if Yao plays for China or not. China does.

12. mw_mw

mw_mw Member

get Yao a quality backup is 1st priority

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I've felt the same way for a long time. I've come to really like the "role players" of this team and i don't agree that what they've done is really a fluke. They have shown that they are really this good in the past couple seasons. I would much rather see what we can get by moving some combination of Artest, Mcgrady, and Yao than any combination of Landry, Scola, and Brooks.

14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

My solution, because Donald Sterling (owner of Clip's), only seeks to make money. He would love this to get rid of Bdiddy's 4 years.

Successful Trade Scenario
    Congratulations on a successful trade.

Try Another Trade or visit our Trade Forum.
    Houston Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +10.1 ppg, +13.2 rpg, and +3.5 apg.

Incoming Players
    DeAndre Jordan
    6-11 C from Texas A&M
    4.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.2 apg in 14.6 minutes
    Baron Davis
    6-3 PG from UCLA
    14.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 7.7 apg in 34.6 minutes
    Marcus Camby
    6-11 C from Massachusetts
    10.3 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 2.0 apg in 31.1 minutes

Outgoing Players
    Brent Barry
    6-6 SG from Oregon State
    3.8 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 1.4 apg in 15.5 minutes
    Tracy McGrady
    6-8 SG / SF from Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS)
    15.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 5.0 apg in 33.8 minutes

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Well, it took a few years but we finally agree on something. Championship teams need to be good on BOTH ends of the floor. Hear, hear!!!

My philosophy since the Rockets went to their last Lottery (and came back with glue instead of goods) was that Yao and Grady would both NEVER be healthy. Secondary to that is my opinion that you can get athletes and shooters to play defense if your best players buy into the system. (This years Nuggets for example)

But weak offensive players will ALWAYS be weak offensive players. And that's compounded if they are under tall and/or under quick.

Unlike most here, I'm on the fence about Morey. But the Rockets did see the need for Artest's talent, Wafer's offense and Lowry's ability to force tempo. So I'm cautiously optimistic about the summer.

Unfortunately, I don't see Grady coming back until Jan or Feb 2010. That complicates things somewhat.

1 person likes this.
  16. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

Okay can we clear this up ? From what most have said here in the garm T-Mac won't be able to play til next spring so the Rockets are basically looking at T-Mac sidlined for next year correct ? T-Macs return has been talked about as he's coming back at the beginning of the season or in March.....Confusing :confused:

17. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

Thanks Gater cause many think T-Mac is going to be flying around the court like his old self to start next season !

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

My exact same sentiments. A combo of deals involving Dorsey, Cook, Barry or James White just isnt gonna get it done. I fully expect at least 1 very likeable player to be dealt.

Todays game I kept thinking this instance I'da rather the Rockets try to match offense, and they'd miss a few defensive assignments along the way but be down by 10 and have a chance. Rather than grinding it out on D and having NO offense and get blown out the building.

DeAndre Jordan isnt some world beater or anything. But if the Clippers deal Camby or Kaman, it'd make sense for them to keep a young cheap center like Jordan around who can fill the position.

19. rvpals

rvpals Member

Definitely need a backup for Yao. Someone who could get some boards and score some points occassionally.

I like to keep Ron Artest, this guy has toughness and some skills. But he's not worth a long term contract.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Morey has his work cut out for him this offseason. One thing I know is that Morey should not depend on Yao and Tmac (if Morey decides to keep Tmac) being healthy for the whole season, and then plan the roster accordingly.