1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did the Lakers make Ron cheaper?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by withmustard, May 17, 2009.

1. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Ron looked great the first two games and turrible the last 5. I thought Ron deserved a raise before the season started as he was widely acknowledged as one of the best bargains in the NBA, but after watching the season I'm not so sure. The only thing that he gave us that i was not expecting was 40% from 3's in the season. This only partially compensated for his sub 40% from everywhere else. If Rox lost this series in 6, and Ron played like he did in games 1 and 2 the WHOLE series, then he he gets a raise. Unfortunately the last 5 games of Ron's season were 5 of his worst and 5 of his biggest. By Ron being exposed by the Lakers, how much do you think he loses. I think he deserves about 8mil a year. Before this Lakers series, i would lhave said 10-12 mil. Geez 4-32 from 3, I think Chuck could give us that. I still love his heart, just not his brain.

2. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Hopefully, but what matters is what Artest and his agent THINKS he's worth.

3. kmoney

kmoney Member

he had yao the first 3 games, i dont think the lakers lowered it

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Meh. He was a 40% shooter in the regular season. He was a 40% shooter in the playoffs.

5. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

not in the lakers series, more like 28%.

6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Ya but he was 46% last season fighting double teams all game. Do you really want any of your starters shooting sub 40%. Ron would have been like 38% had he not desroyed his previous 3 point % for a season. What if Ron's 3-ball goes back to the way it's been his career, or worse the way it was this series.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

you actually bring up a good point, i wouldnt say the lakers did it, but ron did it to himself...he has some leverage, but the Rockets probably have more after the way he played

8. kejohn

kejohn Member

I do not think this series hurt Ron's marketability, on other teams he would not be the main socring threat, as he needed to be when Yao went down or was otherwise ineffective.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ron's marketability won't change. He's a semi all-star that has found his spot here. I honestly think It won't take much to keep him here.If you are an up and coming franchise and you have the money then go ahead and try to sign him but really? really are you going to take a change on Ron? I'm hoping noone does so he stays a Rocket

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

the problem though wasn't just his low shooting %, but the kind of shots he took, it seems like he always take primarily bad shots, regardless of whether he's the main option or the 3rd or 4th.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, Ron is always cheap.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Ron's more about trust and respect though. He's going to want a little more than he deserves(every player does) but if we approach him the wrong way about it and disrespect him he'll leave no doubt.

13. 1individual

1individual Member

His best game of the post season was Game 1 @ LA in my opinion. Other than that just his appearance on the court changes game plans for the Lakers. I'm not sure about a re-sign.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's true, but how are you going to get someone better in a sign and trade for him? A 7-8 M Ron with a replacement for McGrady is acceptable IMO.
    I'm not implying that's going to be easy by any means.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well, it would be great to get someone of equal or better talent, but do we really need that? This team is pretty well rounded and when completely healthy we may have TOO MUCH talent, which means some players actually are underused. I think even if we let him walk and get someone of less all around talent, but he's a deadly shooter, or great shot blocker/rebounder, that would help us greatly and fill some holes and allow us to use everyone's talents more efficiently.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ron shot his career averages in the playoffs, he is an inefficient offensive player...always has been, always will be.....

He is not as good as he THINKS he is.....

The team would be better off with a player that can score and create from that position in an efficient manner.

And no, that is not TMAC...I said...EFFICIENT.....45% +

DD

17. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Who is going to pay Ron more than what he was getting with the cap going down?

18. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

ron had 3 great games with yao in the middle. to lambast him for the rest of the series with yao out is ridiculous. what team does well without their star players? ron struggled, sure. but it's a lot easier to focus defensively on ron without yao or tracy in the game.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

what wing men are shooting over 45% this playoffs.
    . . .or this year?

Rocket River

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Thank You.

Sure didn't see anyone complaining against Portland or the first two games against LA where Yao didn't seem to be hurt.

Seems some of our fanbase have short memories with Tmac and Ron Artest. We're so ready to ship them off and get little in return.