1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe - America thoughts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Honey Bear, May 12, 2009.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Excellent point. Either way it is terrible either it is exploiting the mentally ill or it non-consensual sex.

Personally I was willing to not discuss the rape accusation but I find it very troubling that someone would actually seek to spin it as not being very serious and go to such lengths to blame the victim.

2. angryman

angryman Contributing Member

The one thing I hate much more than Kobe, Lakers, Jazz... is a hypocrite just like you.

You talk about people shouldn't judge Kobe because they never meet him and then you go on and on to attack all the Americans, without meeting all of them.

You blah blah blah about real men never gossip(which is both stupid and sexist) on the thread that generates this rubbish of a thread, yet you made a new thread to keep riding on Kobe's XXXX, to the length of badmouthing everyone that disagrees with you.

Did I just say you insult everyone? Yet you are crying and whining about values and acting all holy when taken a little heat back. :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You see it your (troll) way, and I see it mine.

[​IMG]

Thanks for bringing us this poop cake of a thread. That is us smiling is the background.

4. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

yo this guy sucks

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You are right that neither one of us knows what happened. But I know it doesn't make much sense to settle out of court if I know I didn't rape a chick. That makes no damn sense. If a chick says I raped her....and I didn't....we aren't gonna settle....especially after the accusation is already made public.

6. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I am Australian and I hate Kobe Bryant.

Myth busted?

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You CAN do that. But the point is you don't have to. You can hate him if you want. But he's not doing anything wrong, he's just being himself. He shouldn't have to be someone else.

I was discussing something similar the other day. I'm very sociable generally, but the place where I work is a bit dull. So HR actually asked me to dull it down. This is quite irritating since I do my work, on time, I don't disrupt people, I keep it between me and good friends. I'm not up for developing a split personality - it's seriously not good for mental health to do this anyway.

I just want to be myself. If being myself is disrupting something, then I understand and I'll tone it down. Otherwise, F Off.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think you and Kobe are different. For him, the longer the case drags on and the more public it is, the worse.

Also, there is a risk that if he is innocent he will be labelled guilty. No matter how tiny that risk, the impact is gi-normous.

It makes total sense. If I had to give up a few million to save a few 100 million due to a case where I don't need a trial to prove to myself that I'm innocent, I would do it too, as would any rational person.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

But that's the thing...his "deal" didn't prove that he was innocent. It further clouded folks opinions on his alleged guilt. If he went to court and won a case then that wouldn't be the case.

Settlement doesn't = innocent. I'm not saying it = guilty. It means we struck a deal. Personally, I'm not gonna pay a chick that claims I raped her when I didn't.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL at this thread still going.....and Ronny making fun of the unworldlyness of Americans.

BTW Ronny, where pray tell do you live?

DD

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

don't worry, the OP hates Australians, too! :)

and don't get him started on Aussie-American women!!!! :mad: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

12. MadMax

B-Bob, you have once again produced a jem. And you mined through the treacherous waters of Rocky IV to bring it to us. If you weren't a professor from San Francisco we could be great friends. Unfortunately I hate all professors and everyone who lived anywhere within a 112 mile radius of San Francisco within the past 11 years.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you don't know what you would do if you were in Kobe's position. why would the girl settle out of court if she was really raped, she could have gotten a bigger payday I assume if she was.

it goes both ways

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yes, star-crossed we are...

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Over the years, there have been athletes who were banned from various Halls of Fame for gambling, drug use and other violations of social mores.

If we deny Pete Rose, there is no hope for the rapist Kobe Bryant. Bryant should be pointedly denied admission into the NBA Hall because of the rape. He is a great player but a really sorry excuse for a human being -- and therefore should not be served up as a role model in sports or anything else. My vote is to consign him to the dustbin of couldabins.

16. MadMax

i don't know what the hell happend, honestly.

but you don't get a payday in criminal court. you do in civil court, but she had not sued him for damages, if i remember correctly.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i have to doubt someone's personal character of anyone who defends a jerk like kobe to this degree.

bottom line...the guy is a grade A jerk who just happens to have amazing basketball talent. Sorry, but one does not make-up for the other.

other note, thanks bob. I had completely forgot about the robot from rocky. WTF were they thinking?! a robot nanny? really?

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Five million dollars (the reputed settlement figure) can buy a lot of silence. :(

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I know you don't get a payday in criminal court but i would assume if he was found guilty it would have been a large payday for her if she sued. oj was found to be innocent and look what he had to pay out.

I don't know either, just looking at it from the otherside

20. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Agreed.

$5MM to Kobe is a lot different than $5MM is to most people. Kobe will make $150MM in just NBA salary the rest of his career + millions in endorsements. He has already made close to $100MM in his lifetime.

To send off $5MM to make this situation go-away may be worth it. Even if he didn't rape her, he probably doesn't want her being on TV and doing interviews about him cheating on his wife. If he did rape her, he wants to avoid jail.

From her perspective, she's set for the rest of her life. If she got raped, thats a traumatic experience and no amount of money can make that go away. But maybe she feels she can deal with it, and $5MM will make it easier for her.