1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LOST: Season 5

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan_98, Jan 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

hahaha

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i thought jacob was christian.

3. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Its been confusing since the pilot episode. Youre just now getting confused?

Just messing with you. :D

I am the opposite, I think seasons 4 and 5 have been the best since the first. This is the only show I watch live or same night DVR.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

my current working theory:

The Island is the end of a wormhole that an ancient extraterrestrial intelligence controls and needs to maintain (perhaps for transportation to and colonization of Earth). Jacob is that intelligence communicating on this end. It has no corporeal presence but can manifest itself to people in the form of someone who lives in their subconscious or memory like Christian or Claire. The Others are those the Intelligence has recruited to protect the wormhole with the promise that they can exist healthy and ageless in it's sphere of influence (though they can die). They protect it from the Dharma that want to interfere or exploit it and Widmore who may know it's true nature and wants to destroy it.

I think The Others and Locke will eventually figure out they are being manipulated (not Ben) and Widmore will be the heroic side reclaiming the Planet.

or not.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Christian is just a tool used by Jacob. A surrogate. When Locke goes to the Cabin and sees Christian, he asks Christian if he's Jacob. Christian says that he isn't but that he can speak on Jacob's behalf.

6. Cannonball

Richard is the only one that's been shown to be ageless. We've seen both Eloise Hawking, Charles Widmore, and even Ben and Ethan grow older on the island.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Sorry so late to the party - had friends in town Thursday-Sunday and never had a moment to collect my thoughts. As it is, they're a little soaked in alcohol.

But anyway...
    Locke re: Jacob "I'm going to kill him"
    A lot of people were in a bit of a tizzy over that one, but I have to wonder if it helps make sense of things. When Locke first visited the cabin, Jacob's "help me" sounded pretty desperate - the sound of someone in bondage, not an omnipotent burning bush. I don't believe Locke ever encountered Jacob again - he encountered Christian or wandered off into the woods for an unseen conference. What I take from this:
    Jacob is real
    There is probably a chasm between the island instructing Locke and Jacob instructing Locke
    Killing Jacob will be helping Jacob (releasing him from bondage)

In fact, killing Jacob will be interesting, since he doesn't appear to be a living person as it stands. Is Jacob perhaps somewhere in a coma, with his spirit appearing in the cabin? Christian pressed hard on goth-Claire not to keep her mom alive (in a coma, on life support) for the wrong reasons. Her mom obviously pulled through, but what if the point transfers here - that Jacob is being suspended between life and death, and his body has to be let go in order for his spirit to be released?

We still haven't seen the inside of the temple (only the underneath chambers, which are not the same; Locke "we're not going in your temple Ben"). Is Jacob there? The non-cabin original Jacob?

For the Locke is Jacob camp: Jacob had hair when we saw him in the cabin. The massive TK temper tantrum he had also hurts the There is No Jacob camp.

Lastly with Jacob, I wonder how time is for him. Richard is ageless, but linear in time (i.e., he doesn't know in 1954 what he learns in 2008). Christian appears to be, along with the FDW, omnipresent in time - Locke is at the wheel in ancient times, but Christian and the wheel are as they were in 2007. Possible explanation could be that they were skipping in time just as Locke was.

With Richard, I liked the way he was making a ship in a bottle to nod us to the Black Rock. I still like to think that he was Egyptian, but maybe that was a clue that he and Hanso are connected through the ship. The Black Rock is one of the few things I'm really excited for them to get around to (I anticipate it to be a watershed reveal - cause seriously, where's Hanso in all of this?), along with Annie and the volcano.

Annie & the volcano were talked about by the producers a good while back, with them saying both of them were going to be important, especially Annie. So far, we haven't seen her. Nor have they shed light on her parents (it seemed like her parents were Horace and Olivia, in that episode but nothing solid). My guess on her - she stays on the island through the incident, and dies carrying Ben's child, prompting his side project to work around the mothering issue and his obsession with Juliette.

Which brings up the sterilization (wee, this is another giganto train of thought post):
    I HATE the "Jughead causes the mom issue!" theory. HATE IT. If they go that way, it will loom as the most upsetting screw up of SCIENCE fiction in the show. Review Japan's medical history immediately following Hiroshima. It's just absurd to think that the island would remain fine and dandy, that most of the population (others, Dharma) would survive long term, etc.

I also don't think we'll see this go down the way Jack expects, since Jughead has to fall under the "Whatever Happens, Happens" umbrella. Reason being, Eloise and Widmore in 2008 knew that they sent Dan back to die. Which means his 1977 Jughead idea wasn't breaking the circle, it was closing the loop. Jughead sends him to their camp to get shot. The loop isn't broken, Dan wasn't a variable (only Desmond is?).

That leads to the question of WHY Widmore/Hawking spend all of Dan's life prepping him to go to the island. Presumably, Hawking will leave the island "soon" to birth/raise him. I sincerely doubt they'd send him to die just to be sure that WHH. His island time has to be essential for something in the grand scheme. So what did he do on us his 3 hour tour:
    Established the bearings and the need for the chopper to go back and forth on them, minimizing the time offsets between the island and freighter.
    Rendered the Tempest toxic gas inert, possibly saving lives (though Benry never went there)
    Essential in fixing the nose-bleedy, time-mind-dislodged Desmond, which also allowed Penny and her boat to arrive, which allowed the Oc6 to survive and return.
    Sent 2007 Desmond to England and LA in search of Hawking.
    Dealt with 1954 Jughead.
    Came up with the 1977 Jughead plan.
    Died.
    Brought Jack and his notebook along to Eloise

I think that notebook will be instrumental, and I think it's at least possible that Jack's actions will indeed be important for all involved. Something has to be critical enough that Eloise is willing to kill Dan over again to make sure it happens.

Funny how Abram's Star Trek completely denies the Whatever Happens, Happens theory he instituted on LOST. I doubt it should matter at all though, since Star Trek canon already allowed for changing the past with time travel. I also think LOST will break the WHH law either this season or next (Desmond).

The tunnels - nice explanation for how the Others get around without leaving tracks (S1,S2). I assume that's also how Smokey zips around until he decides to blast up through a tree.

I loved the Chang scene with Hurley. Reminded me of bouncers weeding out false IDs outside the bars.

Evan

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

hey fatty post your lost thingy you get from friends when you get it.

9. Fatty FatBastard

Follow the Leader

Welcome back to another edition of The "Lost" Diary.

It actually stunned me on Wednesday when I learned two things -- 1) Next week is the season finale of "Lost" and 2) Wednesday was the series of finale of "Scrubs" (no matter what ABC decides).

Who wants to watch "Lost"? Let's roll ...

9:00 -- Seeing Farraday go into the Hostiles camp, gun drawn, is just as dumb -- if not dumber -- the second time.

9:01 -- Hey Jack, if a guy on a horse comes riding at you at full speed -- duck or move out of the way. Just a thought.

9:02 -- Eloise Hawking seems to be taking killing a future version of her son quite well.

9:03 -- Richard likes building boats in a bottle. I would think not aging would afford him cooler hobbies. Whatever.

9:04 -- "I have a purpose now." -- Locke

9:05 -- "He's kind of an advisor. And he's had that job for a very, very long time." -- Ben

9:06 -- "I watched them all die." -- Richard.

9:09 -- "I'm not afraid of anything you can do anymore, Ben." -- Locke

9:11 -- Kate and Jack discussing the ramifications of changing history doesn't have the same feel that listening to, oh I don't know ... two smart people talk about it does.

9:12 -- Eloise is recounting the first time she met her future son. In that particular instance, if you'll remember, she did not shoot him in the back.

9:13 -- Eloise seems very open to the idea ... wait, scratch that. Eloise seems very open to the truth and therefore seems willing to help Jack and Kate. Kate doesn't really like the idea that Jack, essentially, wants to erase her from his life. She always looooooves Jack ... when she can't have Sawyer. I'd erase her too.

9:14 -- The bomb is back at the Dharma Initiative, which Jack and Kate are now excommunicated from. Good luck with that.

9:15 -- Sawyer and Juliet -- whom I have to admit I kind of forgot about -- are Dharma captives now. Sawyer always make for such a willing captive.

9:16 -- Of all the interrogators we've seen, this guy is the least threatening.

9:20 -- So little actual time has really passed, I forgot the Dharma folks are still looking for young Ben.

9:21 -- It was only a matter of time until someone hit Juliet.

9:22 -- Hurley as always, wants to go back and rescue Sawyer. Gotta respect that.

9:23 -- Dr. Chang is able to trip up Hurley with a very complicated series of mathematical questions -- or, rather, by simply asking him, "What year were you born?" That's like being asked "What year did you graduate high school?" when you're using a fake ID to buy beer. You have to know this stuff, Hurley!

9:24 -- Dr. Chang, like Eloise, is also coming around to the truth. When you're on that island, and you see all sorts of crazy stuff, you should be open to the idea of your children traveling through time to detonate a bomb that will destroy an energy that will prevent a plane from crashing.

9:25 -- Eloise is fully onboard now, but Charles Widmore needs some convincing.

9:26 -- When Locke continuously points out that he's "the leader" to Ben and Richard, he comes off like kind of a dick. Right?

9:27 -- Locke is telling Richard what Richard is supposed to tell Locke during one of the island skipping sessions.

9:28 -- "Me." -- Locke

9:32 -- We're getting the Richard/Locke/bullet scene again. Ben is a little catty as Locke and Ben watch from a distance.

9:34 -- "Actually Richard, it did." -- Locke

9:35 -- Dr. Chang has walked into the Sawyer interrogation and the nerdy guy isn't too happy about the whole thing.

9:36 -- Kate is having second thoughts about the whole H-bomb plan and wants to leave, which leads to a whole gun thing. And where there are guns ...

9:37 -- ... there's Sayid. And the nominees for The Greatest Coincidence in a Drama are ...

9:42 -- Sayid has been running around this whole time thinking he killed Ben. Sorry, pal.

9:43 -- Kate has now completely removed herself from Operation H-bomb.

9:44 -- "Sawyer always has a plan, right?" -- Hurley. His plan is to leave you behind, pal.

9:45 -- "We'll buy Microsoft." -- Sawyer. "Back to the Future 2" anyone?

9:46 -- "Good riddance." -- Sawyer

9:47 -- The underground waterway seems to lead right into the Temple or some other tunnel system.

9:48 -- Eloise is kind of hot soaking wet.

9:49 -- d******d Locke is making a speech to his flock.

9:50 -- "I'm starting to think John Locke is gonna be trouble." -- Richard

9:56 -- Back on the sub, wouldn't you know it -- Kate has been captured and could ruin Sawyer's plan. So not like her.

9:57 -- And there goes the poorly animated sub ...

9:58 -- OH MY GOD I THINK I JUST FIGURED OUT HOW THEY ARE GOING TO GET THE BOMB. That was a lot of all caps, but bare with me -- "Imagine a box ...."

9:59 -- "Well, now what? -- Eloise

10:00 -- Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Jacob we go ...

10:01 -- "So I can kill him." -- Locke. Why would he tell Ben that?

There are two ways to handle the episode before a season finale. The less common, used often by "The Wire," is to wrap the majority of the plotlines up, and use the finale as an epilogue of sorts. I love this format and it's another reason why "The Wire" was so amazing.

But there's nothing wrong with the tried and true method of setting the table for the season finale. An episode like this does need to be judged a little differently. The entire purpose is to tease things for next week. It's an approach I hate every other week of the year, but next week -- when I am sitting in front of my TV fiending like a meth addict -- the true beauty of this week's episode will be revealed.

I can't believe I have to wait 6 days!!!!!!!!!!!

I give this episode a B+. I have absolutely no idea what will happen to anyone or anything next week -- AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

10. hxhero

hxhero New Member

I am a newer.Good lucy Rocket! :p

11. Cannonball

Awesome first post.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I have to admit, I'm liking it again...the last couple of episodes have made it interesting...

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Some last thoughts heading into the finale, ranging from pointless to not as pointless:

-I figure of the double episodes, one has to be Hurley-centric. We're missing only his story (arrest-->316) and what we'd assume is a chat with Charlie about bring the guitar case. That makes me think that his story may be a bigger deal than the others and that there may be more going on with the case than we've suspected. In fact, we don't know for certain that there's a guitar in there.

-Tangent on Hurley: I've been suspecting that his role in the grand scheme of LOST is larger than it seems on the surface. He's been awesome as comic relief and acting as a voice for the audience, but consider:
    like Locke and Eko, the island (or something) speaks to him directly
    he's the only other LOSTaway that Jacob has appeared to
    Locke passed Hurley the torch in S4, which I like to read into

-Kate: unlike the other characters, I have an awfully tough time figuring out her character and arc. What is she looking for? What might ultimately give her peace? Jack has to let go and surrender himself to fate, Sawyer wants to be at peace (largely fulfilled by killing Cooper), Hurley has to love/forgive himself, etc. Kate? To be crude, my best guess is she needs a guy that will break and domesticate her. Here's hoping Jack knocked her up. It's still strange how certain she was that Sawyer didn't get her pregnant (S3/S4) and maybe that is related to her major fixation on motherhood. Dunno.

-Where are Rose and Bernard? Logic dictates that they were time skipping along with the others, only in a different spot on the island. Did the Others take them in? Are they just chilling somewhere? Did they die in the caves and become Adam & Eve (S1)?

-Where's Vincent, and are we going to find out whether or not he's more than just a dog? Especially in S1 and S2, there were some real HMMMM moments with him, including the mobisode with Christian sending him out to Jack to start off the pilot episode.

-We've got 3 LOST kids not being raised by their parents in the real world (raised by anOther, heh), each with their grandmother. I can not believe that they won't be called back to the island.

Looking for some fun tonight.
    S1 finale: Others came for Walt instead of Aaron, Locke opens the Hatch
    S2: Jack, Kate, Sawyer kidnapped, Sayid spies the 4 toed Statue leg
    S3: Charlie dies, Team Sayid go to blows with the Others, Jack makes the fateful call, the infamous flashforward
    S4: The Oc6 leave, the freighter explodes, the islands goes poof, and Ben-in-a-box
    S5: The Incident, plus????

We'll find out in a little less than 6 hours!

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I'm glad the season finale is 2 episodes. :D

I actually have something to watch tonight... please Lost, don't disappoint me with a stupid ending. ;)

15. Cannonball

I listened to the last podcast and they mentioned that up to this point, the audience didn't have enough information to really theorize how it's all going to end. But that said that after this season finale and next seasons premiere, we'll have enough info to figure it out (not that it's going to be easy).

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i wonder wonder wonder no... i dont know

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That was a great episode.

18. Astro101

Astro101 Member

My mind hurts.

19. Cannonball

I guess what they said earlier in the season is true, dead is dead. John Locke is not Jesus Christ.

20. mokulen

mokulen Contributing Member