1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game 4 is why the Rockets did not invest in a backup C

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, May 11, 2009.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I really like how Denver's lineup has shaped up, so I'm not going to argue against what they've done. They are a more versatile team then ours. If I ever said differently in our discussions in the past, then I'll admit right now that I was dead wrong.

I think from last season to this season, our roster has gotten much more versatile but there's room for further improvement. We've added penetrators in Lowry and Wafer. We've added a good post-up wing and all-around defender in Ron Artest. We can play fast when Yao is off the floor, in addition to playing a more half-court style with him on the floor. As far as the front court, I think it is easier to find 6'7-6'9 guys who match up well against traditional centers in today's league, then it is to find 6'11+ guys who match up well against forwards. That's why I think going small can make you more versatile. Now Denver is different, because all their bigs move their feet exceptionally well and are smart defenders. Kudos to their front office -- I think them getting the Executive of the Year award was well deserved.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Maybe i'm wrong on this durvasa, but I think if adelman had elson,magloire,ratliff,petro or someone like that, yao wouldve played 30 mins a night. I also think scolandry wouldve just split the pf minutes and hayes probably wouldn't play. Just because u bring in a 7 ft backup, that doesn't mean he had to be a slow, plodding type like yao. A guy like elson and petro still gives you quickness and pick and pop capabilities. A young guy like headcase williams, he can play like birdman. He's a high energy, high wire, athletic 6'10 pf/c. Just like birdman earlier, he does things that make u scratch your head, but on this team,he would only be a 18 minute backup that could protect the rim. When you play quicker on the perimeter, but still can protect the rim, that's not a bad thing thing. We will see this offseason because there are a lot of young bigs that will be free.

3. declan32001

declan32001 Member

durvasa I wouldn't have thought this would have been an "offseason" thread, but judging from the responses it seems I'm reading knee-jerk reactions to opinions formed going back to well before we re-signed Deke.

But here's some possibilities:

1) Morey was always telling the truth, no one was worth signing and we felt our bizzarro version of small-ball had unseen merits.

2) Morey was lying (like every other GM in history) and we already had Deke in our back pocket and had a plan we hoped might work.

3) We lose TMac, Deke and then Yao and then there's possibly a few people that will think DM's pretty stupid.

4) DM's sabre-metric spreadsheets done went "poof" four months ago and he seriously gained about 30 lbs.

Sometimes we all get crazy here, but I'm still of the opinion grading Morey & Adelman out at even an A- this year is risky.

And we've got a playoff game tonight people! Let's fight about this minutiae in late June.

4. durvasa

Alright, I'll remove Dikembe from the discussion then. Here's the important question for me. Does Adelman play Yao as many minutes as he has because (1) Yao is a star and the focal point of our offense, or (2) there isn't enough size backing him up?

What I'm suggesting is perhaps Yao was basically going to get the minutes he got irrespective of how big his backup was due to (1). He's a star, the focal point of our offense, and we're lacking in offensive fire power otherwise. No Tracy McGrady to share the load. How often did Adelman keep Yao in a game or bring him back early because we were too small in the middle? Was there a real pattern of that, or did it happen just on occasion?

So, maybe the key to reducing Yao's minutes isn't necessarily getting bigger behind him. Who knows, if getting bigger means losing the offense of Scola or Landry, that might actually be counter-productive in terms of limiting minutes. Maybe the real key is to get better offensively without him.

5. durvasa

Missed this post before:

My speculation was mostly based on what they've said. I'm sure you've listened to or read the numerous interviews where this topic was discussed. Morey has maintained that he thinks size is overrated, and all else being equal if has to choose between size and skill, he'll go with the more skilled player. He said during the offseason that he likes how the Rockets play when they go small. That often last season they were at their best when they went small.If we choose to accept that's what the Rockets genuinely believes, and that it wasn't just some PR comments, then what we saw in game 4, and more generally throughout the playoffs, captures that. If, somehow, the Rockets are able to stay competitive against a very good Lakers team, playing small and down so many scorers, then of course that validates the view that the Rockets can go small and be successful.

6. MandM's

MandM's Member

everyone is making too much of this small ball thing. we won 1 game. lakers didn't even show.

rockets irresponsible in not getting a backup center this year that could take minutes

7. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

First 5 positions of game 5, 3 baskets by Gasol and Bynum and 2 fouls by the Rockets frontcourt. In the meanwhile, Chuck got some offensive rebounds and rare offense - but I don't think that's sustainable. Small lineup? I guess we'll see...

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

and game 5 is why they need one.

9. gogorocketsno1

It's amazing to see such a post after ONE game win.

10. acole

acole Member

One game doesn't tell everything.
    Let's see what is happenning on the court...

11. LoneStarRebel

LoneStarRebel Member

real talk.

Game 4 was great...but that's just it...it was one game, now if H-Town can play at that level for the rest of the playoffs I would agree that we didn't need a solid back up 5.

*Is optimistic that YM/McGrady can come back ready next season*

Trust me, I'm as disappointed as most of ya'll, if ya'll think we're better off without our true core of marquees (Yao, Tracy) consider the rest of the postseason a reality call (I call it how it is...not how I wish it too be).

I hope we can extend this to 7 and make this a classic series.

12. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

we need a true back up center rite now. LoL

13. kawins

kawins Member

As long as idiotic posts like this keep popping up, Clutchfans will become a joke.

14. code_red

code_red Member

LOL, are you watching Game 5?

15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

To be fair, before Artest completely f***** this game up, they were playing pretty well off-the-ball and through backdoor.

16. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

See post 106. Artest was the reason they were close before he went to bench.

17. A13

A13 Member

This just work for one night not for everynight...

18. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Personally, this is what I saw.

Artest made his fluke shots. Great. Rockets were up. Then he shifts into iso mode. Ruh oh. Suddenly the ball movement stops cold and so does penetration to the net. He gets off, but then the attitude of the team pretty much has become "I need to win this" instead of "we need to win this.". Poor play continues. Artest comes back. This only makes things worse.

It is not a coincidence that the most selfless player on the team, Chuckie Hayes is by far our best +- man at -2, even though he logged pretty much all of his minutes against Gasol and Kobe.

19. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

All anyone had to do was wait for this expected game 5 and then respond to this thread. The OP has got to be joking.

20. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Game 5 is why the Rockets should start to looking at players with two assets: Size and athleticism. Hustle can only get you so far. When will these low IQ'd guys ever learn that size and athleticism are key ? Look at our PFs:
    Hayes, Scola, Landry & Cook --> None have size and only one is a bit of an athlete.

The Rockets should've invested in another back-up center but hey, they are stubborn down there in Houston, even after so many years of frustration and playoff losses.

Why did we lose game 7 in 2007 ? Cause we could not get a rebound.
    Why do the Rockets struggle with rebounding ? Cause other teams have a size advantage
    Why can the Rockets never get easy buckets, can nobody run the fastbreak at PF, why can we never get a dunk, get a nice alley oop or even a good putback ? Because they have no athletic guys who can throw it down and Rockets have players reluctant to dunk.

Guess what, Thorpe was not a flashy player but he dunked because it was the HIGHEST PERCENTAGE SHOT and that's common knowledge. The Rockets should know that guys with size and athleticism can get easier shots for themselves. These Rockets, though I like their effort, have to work hard for every shot.

It's time for the Rockets to trade Landry, even though I love him for his effort, and trade Artest for two big men. Either two forwards or a Center and a PF but something needs to change. Hayes can stay because of his defence but we need size at that PF spot. A long and athletic SF wouldn't hurt us either.