1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cato's status

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketblast, Jun 5, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

Everything looks like Ming is coming, so what is going to happen to Cato? One thing, I sure hope that Cato's working out in fear that Ming's going to take his job.

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

You're kidding right. He gets in shape during the season. He doesn't care.

3. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

It was a joke. :D

4. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Now, that is sad. I will never understand Cato.

5. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

Bwahahahahaha!!! I remember a couple of years ago when Cato was coming back from an injury and didn't want be a starter. Remember the "This is Pig Miller's job now" quote.

The bad news for Cato is that he will still be our starting center on opening night. I think Rudy will play Ming in slowly, epecially if he misses training camp.

6. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Who is this "Cato" person of whom you speak?

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

:eek:

This is what Cato's face is going to look like when he goes to training camp next year and sees a 7'5 asian. I bet he doesn't even keep up with what the rockets do in the offseason.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Who wins in a one on one contest
    Collier or Cato?

Rocket River

9. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Depends what they are playing

10. lpbman

lpbman Member

Collier

video game thumbs prevent Cato from gripping the ball

11. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Cato's status: still lazy

12. ESource

ESource Member

Cato's status: we're STUCK with his lazy azz for another 4 years! Atleast we have a "back-up" for Ming, huh? :rolleyes:

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Doc,
    Are we dealing Cato? He's an expensive backup.

14. tozai

tozai Member

Yes Cato is overpaid, and probably shouldn't be starting. He was downright pathetic two seasons ago, but did anyone watch him last season. He has shown improvement. He got a few double-doubles, actually was hitting jumpshots towards the end of the season, and was CATCHING more passes than usual. Granted, last season was dismal, but the most important thing he exhibited was a little more interest and passion. Do you all not remember his quote in the Chronicle about how he did not want to tank and how the team should still be putting up an effort to win? YOu all do have some reason to hate him, but give him a chance, he has been showing gradual improvement.

15. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Is he improving? Yes
    Did he allow way to many layups? Yes
    Did he play hard at the end of the season? No
    Did he make a difference? No
    Should we trade him? No
    Will he be a good compliment to Yao? Yes
    Can he defend Shaq? Sort of, better than most
    Is he worth the money? As a center, maybe if he shows improvement again this year

16. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

We're paying him to be our center of the future which he is obviously not going to be but I think he will make a productive backup for the Rockets.

17. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

I think we should keep Cato for at least a year. He'll be an expensive back-up but Ming will take at least a year to adjust to the more physical play of the NBA and will undoubtedly be foul prone. I also wouldn't mind seeing Ming and Cato on the floor at the same time with Ming at the 4.

18. Miggidy Markell

Cato = 6 fouls we can use on Shaq in the play-offs. :D I do have some faith in him but, at least he is smart enough to know he is not worth the max like Kandi!!! :eek: With Ming on the roster, look for Cato to be more aggressive when blocking shots, I think he will try to do alot more of that this season.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You mean Cato at the 4.

Rocket River

20. ESource

ESource Member

It's been TWO YEARS since Cato signed that big contract! I CAN'T define that as "gradual" improvement! That's LAZINESS to me! I could even "let him slide" if he worked hard in the off-season and played in the RMR, etc. ANYTHING to show he's working hard to improve BUT what does he do? He STILL shows up to training camp OVERWEIGHT and looks like he hasn't even been to the weight room! Look at KT, he lifts in the off-season and his body shows it! Cato? Probably lifting Krispy Kreme boxes and IT SHOWS! So no, I have NO MORE patience w/ him BUT I know we're stuck w/ him for the long haul!:eek: