1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I told you, I told you, I told you (aka Gm 5 strategy)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, May 10, 2009.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I told you the Rox had to break up the Yao Scola starting unit against the uptempo Lakers. Unfortunately, Adelman's hand was forced with Yao's injury. I hate that. But I knew when I saw the starting lineup that we were going to be very highly competitive and would have a chance to win this thing.

Now it is time for further adjustments after the Lakers next countermove.

Want to know what the Lakers are going to do next?

1. They are going to give the ball to Kobe and he is going to force the ball to the rim in game 5. Watch it happen. Kobe is going to do whatever he can to get to the rim and get Shane in foul trouble. They want Shane off Kobe. He is going to drive, drive, drive and create contact and force the officials to blow the whistle. And while he may get an offensive foul call or two against him, he is going to force the officials to blow the whistle against us because he is going to keep piling up the contact and they are not going to want to sit him down with fouls. So, bank on at least 2 out of 4 of Battier, Hayes, Scola, and Artest getting into foul trouble Tuesday night. How are we going to counter this? I don't have the answer yet. But it is coming.

2. Offensively, they are going to shade Brooks and force the ball out of his hands. How are we going to counter this? The answer is to spread the offense out even more to create more space and make it impossible for somebody not to be open when they shade/double Brooks. And that means we gotta be ready to hit a lot of shots, because they are going to be there. We need Artest to hit a lot of shots, we need Battier to maintain his shooting consistency (doubtful) and we really need one of Wafer/Landry to step up big time. I also suspect with the Lakers shading Brooks that if we have floor spreaders out there, that Scola should have plenty of room to operate one on one. He needs to make sure he finishes his spins down low.

Defensively, if Odom is out, the Lakers just became a lot more Kobecentric than they already were. This could be good or it could be bad. Odom will be replaced by Luke Walton, who is a much smarter, more under control player than Odom, and he can stick the J and play off Kobe better than Lamar. Look for him to come up huge Tuesday if Odom is out. I am convinced Bynum is a nonfactor in this series. He couldn't defend Yao. And he can't score efficiently against Hayes.

We will game 5 if:

1. We keep turnovers to a minimum
    2. We stay out of too much foul trouble
    3. We hit shots off Brooks and Lowry's penetration

We are going to compete on the boards just fine with Chuck and will either win the battle of the glass or come very close. We will control their offensive tempo with our smaller, quicker, faster lineups now that Yao is out. The things to watch for are turnovers, fouls, and getting close to 50% from the floor. If we do these 3 things, we will win.

2 people like this.
  2. lastreg

lastreg Member

You forget the most influential factor, the refs!

3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

The Lakers will have fisher be physical with brooks, bump him but not get fouls called. When he does nto ahve the ball, bump grab and deny.

4. Seth

Seth Member

I am quite sure we won´t win game 5 from the 3pt line, but adelman showed he can adapt and predict other team´s adjustments.
    I really trust him now.

I think we will need a superb game from both Scola and Landry to win there, and Artest will need to go inside as much as he can.

Doubling Kobe on the beginning might be a good idea also, just to keep him in check as he will most likely try to do it all by himself.

5. jopatmc

I am convinced we are going to lose the foul count war Tuesday. It's homecourt for LA, and Kobe is going to be driving every time he touches the ball. And he's not going to be giving it up until he gets all the way to the rim. He is going to create massive contact and force the refs to blow the whistle. And they aren't going to foul Kobe to the bench. They will stop blowing the whistle against him as soon as he gets two and then they will tilt the calls against the Rox.........that is if they don't tilt the calls against the Rox to begin with. We just have to accept the reality of this, gameplan for it, and counter it.

In my opinion, the way to counter it would be to turn Lowry loose on the high picks, let him get to the glass and create contact and force the refs to pile up fouls against Pao and whoever else finds themselves down low taking contact from Lowry. Lowry is one of the best in the NBA at creating contact on a layup or shot attempt. If Kobe is penetrating and getting the whistle blown, we should be able to counter with Lowry at the rim, knocking guys down inside the circle, and getting the foul against them.

6. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

Two things I'm worried about: refs and rebounds.

Great assessment.

7. jopatmc

We are going to compete just fine on the boards as long as Scola Hayes and Artest aren't all sitting down with fouls.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the Lowry/ Brooks back court will make the Trap
    a little less effective

I look for Landry to play better

Rocket River

9. jopatmc

Yes, they are going to key on Brooks. And instead of forcing Brooks to try to do it again the 2nd time against a unit set up to stop him, we should use him off the ball a whole lot more and let Lowry penetrate and dish or finish. I think we should throw those 2 out there for at least 30 minutes of the game and let Lowry run from the top with Brooks running around off screens. Lowry needs to step up and have at least 10-12 shot attempts, collect some fouls, get to the FT line, take care of the bball, and get some assists. If we could get about 15 points, 8 boards, and 7 assists out of Lowry Tuesday night, it would go a long way towards helping us win game 5.

10. blacktopKING

blacktopKING Member

Don't forget about freethrows. They must make their freethrows in order to keep it close.

11. Voltik

Voltik Member

Brooks will be played physical not only by Fisher but as well as Pau, Bynum, and Walton when he gets into the lane. He'll be fouled hard...they wont give him a lane to zip past. Brooks needs to play through that and draw the contact when he drives the lane. Get them in foul trouble.

12. jopatmc

I don't think they are going to let him even get in there. They will have two guys shading him making it impossible for him to get into the paint area without turning the ball over. He should just give it to Lowry, play off the ball, and let Lowry penetrate and finish/dish. If they are shading Brooks, he should pull the ball back out and look for the 2nd defenders man cutting to the basket.

13. JamesC

JamesC Member

Help defense could work wonders on Kobe, however thats easier said than done especially with Gasol waiting to catch alleys. Guys like Battier, Scola, Lowry and Hayes do a good job of crowding the ball and forcing bad decisions. Like Van Gundy pointed out, they do this without committing a lot of fouls. They basically have to create chaos on defense and make the Lakers scramble.

14. rocketsmetalspd

Make sure you find out if the Joey Crawford effect will be on for the Lakers on Tuesday. I still believe the Rockets will win game 5 by 6.

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Hey, I have told you all along before the series even started, that the only way the Rockets can win was for Brooks to play at top of his game, so far that has been exactly what has happened. :cool:

On offense, I think LA will pound the ball inside from here out, their size/height gives them the biggest advantage over the Rockets, a guy as smart as Jackson will not pass by that advantage, you can expect a lot of FT for the Lakers, and foul troubles for Scola/Landry/Chuck.

On defense, they will meet Brooks full court, shadow him once enters the front court. In the past, Brooks often became hesitating with physical plays, which he cannot afford to with the Lakers. If he can stay aggressive, attacks them from the get to, that can cause big problem with LA's defense, change their game plan. If Brooks does play aggressively, then the only thing I worry about is his stamina & energy level, it's going to be touch to sustain the level for the entire game, which is what needed to beat the Lakers.

16. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

That will be easier said than done. Coming into this series, the Lakers were already longer and more athletic than us before we lost both of our centers. The only chance we have to win the battle of the boards is to have Lakers put up another lackadaisical effort, which I don't expect to happen again in Game 5.

But we can do other things like keep the TOs down, keep them out of the paint, and remain aggressive/decisive on the offensive end.

I thought we got the benefit of the whistles in Game 4, which allowed us to play our physical style. It will be very interesting to see what the referees will/won't allow in game 5. If the zebras continue to swallow the whistles on both ends, I wouldn't be surprised if we come home up 3-2 :D

17. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

Another great post jopatmc. I am surprised that many began to think we should trade Yao now due to his injury, yet nobody brought up the idea that maybe our coach overused Yao. Particularly Hayes played so well all the time, but RA never really used him, until he had no choice. It would surely make a difference if he could spare Yao for some much needed rest. We saw a heavily used Yao went down for bone fracture last year, we saw a healthy Yao with decrease minutes in most of the regular season and now we see again that Yao went down with an injury----his 40-mins game log, not a coincidence right? Many would argue that Hayes had no offense, but he shut down a lot of opponents' offense too. Not trying to rain on the parade, but man, we could have been a lot better... This might be a year that Houston could hang a third banner, but sigh :( ... And our coach---as smart as he is, should take some blame with all the praise he deserves.

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Joey reffed in Orlando tonight, so it's possible

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

To me their most efficient play is Gasol at the post. Kobe doesn't even have to sweat for them to win that way.

If Kobe takes 25 to 30 shots and Gasol+ odom have only 15. We have a fighting chance to win it next game.

They are going to rough AB up, chase him. Time to tell whether it was one time thing for AB this game.

Luis and Landry need more touches.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Great assessment Jopatmc, I think all the Lakers are going to be driving to the basket; they took too many jumpers today. I am still waiting for the majority of the Rockets players to have their "A" game at the same time. So far they are taking turns. If this happens before this series is over, my "Perfect Storm" thesis, then the Rockets can shock the world and destroy the Lakers season and the NBA's marketing strategy. Denver might be a problem without Yao, and Cleveland would definitely be a problem without Yao, but whatever.

What do you think of a Scola, Landry, Artest, Brooks, Battier starting lineup?