1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe's elbow was more dangerous than Fisher's takedown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, May 7, 2009.

1. sofar

sofar Member

That rapist beats people every game, and there isn't even a single foul.

NBA, where dirty fakers and rapist and boxers and refs happens.

2. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

If the league has any shred of consistency at all (huge 'if,' I know), then he will be suspended:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-rocketslakers050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
    [rquoter]The bigger question is whether Bryant’s elbow to Artest’s throat warrants a suspension. Artest thinks so, and he has precedent to back his claim: When Artest was playing for the Sacramento Kings, he was suspended for a game in a second-round series against the San Antonio Spurs after he raised his forearm and hit Manu Ginobili in the face.

Bryant, too, is no stranger to Ginobili’s face. Two seasons ago, he was suspended for a game after whacking the Spurs guard in the head following a shot. In both cases – like last week’s suspension of Magic center Dwight Howard(notes), who caught Samuel Dalembert(notes) in the head with an elbow – Jackson cited “above-the-shoulders contact” and said the act was “not a basketball movement.”

If the league decides Bryant’s elbow came in the course of trying to establish position and wasn’t aimed at Artest’s neck, he might get off with a flagrant foul or a fine. The Rockets, however, can point to a pattern of behavior dating to the first game that suggests otherwise. In Game 1, Bryant hogtied Shane Battier(notes) during a scramble for the ball, kneeing him in the process. He also caught Battier with an elbow later in the game.[/rquoter]

3. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

Horry got suspended a game for this shot on Steve Nash. That was a damn love tap compared to Kobe's elbow and Fisher's crosscheck.
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3RDYD0EUBzY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3RDYD0EUBzY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Let's get ready to watch the hypocrisy unfold.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11692701/rss

5. ivictorr

ivictorr Member

6. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

7. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

8. himself

himself Member

I can't tell you how I know, but this is a fact.

Due to Ron's past emotionnal reactions and also Lakers knwoing this series is a 50/50 toss up, their game plan is to create confrontations, and ................

I don't need to tell anyone here are that was done in BOTH games was intentional and our fans need to contact the league office and let them know that Rockets fan and even none Rockets fan are taking a note, hell, the whole China is taking a note!!!
    I don't need to say more, I am sure you know what to do and what I mean.

GO ROCKETS!!!!!!

9. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

Game 1: Kobe's knee and elbow to Battier's head.
    Game 2: Kobe's elbow to Artest above the shoulders.

These cheap dirty shots deserve suspension. It is almost guaranteed this will escalate once play switches to TC. Nobody wants to see Kobe suspended but the league just has to suck it up. It's almost a necessity at this point. His presence in Game 3 will just escalate the cheap shots on both sides and will raise suspicions that the league is favoring the Lakers in this series.

I wanna get on Shane and Artest on this one too... Those guys need to SELL it. If they get an elbow or knee from Kobe... just freaking sell it. Grab your throat or head and pretend to collapse in the floor or something. Cameras are all over the place and it will be replayed in slow motion and just watch how public opinion on Kobe shoots down like a rock.

10. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

The league needs to look at the whole, not just each incident.

Fisher decking Scola (that was quite a take-down) was definitely flagrant and intended to harm. As Charles pointed out in the post-game show, you could see Fisher looking for Scola coming out to set the pick -- when he saw him get set, he ran over, lowered his shoulder, and put him on the floor (and that wasn't a flop). He actually hit Scola in the mouth with his head, too. Suspension? Yeah, I think so. If you don't, you're setting a very dangerous precedent for non-suspendable contact (but they've already done that with Rondo, so who knows?).

When looking at Kobe, you need to look at game 1 and game 2. Two elbows, one knee. If you keep letting him get away with it, he's going to keep doing it and eventually injure someone seriously. He needs to be suspended.

What I think will happen?

Fisher: Fined.
    Kobe: Nothing.
    Artest: Fined.
    Phil Jackson: Fined (for talking about it afterwards).

This series is going to be a ratings booster, and they want all the players there for it. Kobe is a superstar in the NBA (if not the top star), and removing him from a game is also an immediate hit on the ratings.

11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why I want the Cavs to win if Houston cannot. Lebron has so much more class compared to Kobe.

12. Man

Man Contributing Member

I agree with the original post.
    In basketball, that motion of directly throwing out your elbow behind and directly at another player .....also at his throat and head.....that motion is not any part of boxing out. there's an ulterior basis to it...and it's a cheapshot, it's dirty, the action should definitely be considered for a possible suspension.

when you have the ball after you get a rebound, you're taught to throw the elbows out and get some space, though i think that may result in an offensive foul. also when you're on offense and you want to create some space...but even then, it might be called for an offensive foul.

this is a totally different situation. and i think there was malicious intent.

HOWEVER, while it might be more dangerous than "fisher's takedown", what fisher did was still severe, and i think fisher should get suspended for that.

if you don't punish these players for their actions, they'll know with satisfaction that they got away with it. and it leads to player's own "vigilante" justice, the players will decide to settle things themselves, because even after showing that we've got more class and won't stoop down to their level, there are certain things you won't take that are just outright uncalled for and absolutely beyond just playing the game of basketball, even if it's a playoff game.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

In the 80s Ron could have disciplined Kobe himself. In today's NBA guys like Kobe can play dirty and know other players won't react because it is too costly.

Trust me, in the 80s Kobe would be the last guy playing physical. He isn't tough enough to stand toe to toe with a grown man without knowing someone will intervene to save him.

14. fogo11606

fogo11606 Member

Haha look at Bryant at a 45 degree angle and push around by Artest like a rag doll.

15. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

see the girl in the stands that takes the photo right as the elbow was going up? i want to see her picture!! i think it'd be a clear shot.

16. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Me, too. I wouldn't mind seeing LeBron win an NBA title this year if the Rockets don't, but I would mind seeing Kobe win one.

17. v_sunny

v_sunny Member

I hate Fakers, I hate kobe!!!