1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

YAO: The High Post revisited

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

He did just that in a game against Portland. While everyone was expecting him to shoot he just glided (not to be confused with the other glide :p) to the basket for a dunk.

Actually playing Yao at high post created a lot more opportunities than fighting for positions down low all the time. We won a critial game over San Antonio because of that. If I remember correctly, they ran that same play twice in the last minute of the 4th quarter. The first one Yao made the 18 footer. The second time Yao faked the shot and passed it to the wide open Scola.

What I really like about the high PnR with Yao is, first, it is an easy energy saving play that has a pretty high percentage of 2 points. Two, it opens up the floor for our penetrators. LA is already having trouble playing our guards, this would given us even more options to break them down. And lastly, it adds a little bit surprising factor to our offense.

2. yaoayao

yaoayao Member

20 feet jump shots was terrible in the last season ,then ,in the beginning of this season he rarely used it .
    in the game 1, 2/2? maybe i forgot .

3. yaoayao

yaoayao Member

no , in san antonio's game ,the first one ,yao dribble one time ,and pass to scolar, then,scolar finish it .the second time ,you are right .it is a wonderful play .

4. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I don't think you've understood RA's comments at all. Sure, it's ideal for Yao to get layups, but there are good reasons for Yao not to be stuck in the meat-grinder down low for an entire game.

As for AB's comments - if he said that - he's an idiot. Sikma has been saying for 2 years now that Yao drills those shots in practice and they've been waiting for him to be comfortable with that shot since this coaching staff arrived.

Bullard's been harping on the subject all year on TV because he knows the coaching staff has tried to implement more of a high post offense, but it just hasn't worked until recently because Yao wasn't hitting those shots.

5. Herb

Herb Member

Yao is in his best scoring position in the post but sometimes it's better to settlle for the outside shot. It's requires less energy and it opens up scoring opportunities for his teamates. But my point was that RA has allowed Yao to shoot outside shots while JVG didn't allow him at all.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Adelman was saving this for the playoffs.

7. redao

redao Member

Don't do that. Yao's post presence alone worth more than a few made jumpers. We need to see Gasol playing his sorry defense all the time.

8. rice

rice Contributing Member

i'd rather see yao shoot than anyone else!

9. gamor

gamor Member

second that.

I love JVG, but he is just not smart sometimes. JVG's stunburnness can trace back to his early knick years, a big reason get him out knicks.

glad to see RA can ultilize Yao's talent. That's what great coach do, take what u can get then ultilize them into ur game plan. And RA is doing same thing with Brooks. He must see brooks' potetials of speed, shooting etc.

10. zjuzhyin

zjuzhyin Member

It's all about Rhythm

As for his baseline turnaround jumper/hook, it works best when no dribble is taken

Yao can make such FIBA 3pts, didn't he made one in Olympic?
    Although a little bit risky to rely on that 18 footer
    (if can't make it, try bouncing it as far as possible!)
    It's great to have this as a weapon

11. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

It should be easy for him to hit that shot, he's almost 8 feet tall. That's like a normal size person playing on a 7 foot rim.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Great revisit. All it really shows it how many fans that don't know **** about hoops. I remember reading all the threads about adelman trying to make yao brad miller or vlade. I remember all the jvg used to pound it down low talk. A few of us like ibm,dd,durvasa always thought that was a great way to get yao good clean looks without the banging and physality down low all the time. Im as old school low post play as they come, but i've always maintained that yao is too good of a ft shooter to not be a good mid range shooter. A lot of his baseline fades are from 12 ft contested so he has the ability to make that op 15 ft shot. Its essential for the growth of the team so the baseline can open for slashers and cutters.

Yao is a 1 way thinker like francis was. He's not a fork in the road type of thinker on the court. I forgot what they call it, but nfl types label qb's in these categories. That's why I created a thread asking is he a playmaker or play finisher? IMO, yao is really good when he is committed to either shooting or passing. He has trouble when its either probabilities. That's why I like it when yao turns and fires. No hesitation, no pauses, no nothing, just shoot. Once he gets that mindset, the big will have to close out, which opens the backdoor and Z cuts.

13. RedMatador

RedMatador Member

How much do y'all love seeing Scola on the back cut when Yao has it on the high post?

14. kty

kty Member

One of Yao’s strengths is his good shooting touch. With the opposing defense now focusing on stopping him at the low post, Yao should definitely expand his game by mixing in more outside attacks, and the “mid- to long-range jumper” should be used as part of his regular scoring weapons. This will (1) open up the lane for other Rockets players (Scola, Landry, Brooks, etc.) to operate, and (2) make Yao’s offensive game much less predicable and thus harder to defend.

15. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Does Yao have the green light? He has always seemed reluctant to shoot that in the NBA. He needs Rick or his team mates to tell him to let it rip if he's feeling it. If he can make it at a 70% clip or better as I think he can, the weapon should be used relentlessly--not from time to time.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ever since Yao got in the league I've wanted to see some more high post play from Yao. Yao is a pretty good passer and Adelman coached some great passing big men. I would love to see the Rockets use some of the Sacramento plays out of the high post. It would give another wrinkle to the Rockets' offense and with Gasol rebounding so well it might force him away from the hoop so the Rockets can get some offensive rebounds.

17. RedMatador

RedMatador Member

Anyone else just have Yao's jabstep-drive from the left elbow the other night flash through their head?

18. redao

redao Member

The reality is : Yao simply does not have the shooting touch outside of 15'.

1: JVG said so.
    2: stats showed so.
    3: if Yao did not show it under Adelman, Yao doesn't have the game.

19. kwng

kwng Member

I think Adelman is trying to add more variation to Yao's game. If he is tightly fronted, Yao need to come out and let others drive or nail a few threes.
    Yao is capable of nailing threes .. that would send the Lakers into panic mode.

20. lalala902102001

With Yao's height and his shooting touch, nobody can block his 15-18 foot jump shot. As he gets older that shot has to become part of his arsenal. Teams can front/double/sandwidge him and shut down his post game but that shot will always be there on pick and rolls.