1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Shane on Kobe's dirty play: It’s just the way playoff basketball is played.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vcchlw, May 6, 2009.

1. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Shane is such a nice guy... only one technical in his career I think?

2. riverage

riverage Member

what a team! what all players!

3. Electro

Electro Member

me too. if kobe is trying to play snuggle bumps just to get a guy all roused up and everything so kobe can get a little heated. then that's just a big wuss channeling the bailout...to the stern upstairs.

sorry just got thru watching youtubes..."the greatest tragedy in sports" full length. i'm scared man, i'm scared.

4. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

Shane is a good guy. he has a great personality. I love him. :D

5. BornToWIN

BornToWIN Member

Lucky to have Shane on this team!

6. 囧jason

囧jason Member

shane should go to campaign for president after basketball career..lol..he is so great in personanaty

7. slimichael85

slimichael85 Member

Oh, Shane is such a nice and refined guy. Shame on Kobe.

8. bloop

bloop Member

that's stupid. kobe did that because he's childish. he did that ENTIRELY because shane tied him up, ripped the ball out of his hands and the refs didn't do anything to bail kobe out.

that tantrum he threw is the definition of a sense of entitlement. what you saw was kobe's sense of outrage that anyone would step up to challenge him that anyone would BEAT him and that the refs wouldn't do anything about it.

so like 7 year old who knows he can get away with it wailing away on his 5 year old brother, Kobe started flailing at Battier

to make it seem like some sort of tactic or mental maneuver is living in la-la land. what it was is a total loss of control. when he was prodding Shane, Kobe was looking for was some visible demonstration of pain from him like from that girl in Colorado. But Shane didn't react with the first elbow, so he was literally flailing, elbow, knee, pushing, he even stepped on Shane's hand trying to get a reaction and make him feel as bad as Shane had just made him

9. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Battier is like the Rockets version of Biggio except without the talent.

10. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Anyone who compares Kobe to Jordan is a f*****g moron. Kobe will NEVER be Jordan, even if he wins four more championships.

Jordan was hero, a cultural icon. But most importantly, he was a likeable person.

Kobe is just an arrogant, rapist, sh!tbag.

11. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shane is just playing mind games with Kobe. He knows Kobe is trying to get a reaction out him and Shane is not going to give him the negative attention.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The real problem with this era and the previous is the refs.

The NBA will never fix the referee problem as long as stern is around, and he will always ensure Kobe gets free trips to the line. Funny how different it was back then when people had to get their arms tore off the ball before the refs even decided to make a call.

13. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

^^^^^This ^^^^

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Exactly, this is telling me the Rockets have the mental down...

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Battier for President 2016!

I don't care what his political views are. I'll vote for him. :D

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Except If Shane pulled a stunt like that he would be suspended.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused:

Battier has a lot of talent. He's not a superstar but there was a reason he was drafted high and coaches have been very impressed by him.

18. Man

Man Contributing Member

i took a different stance in the previous thread about the "dirty play", but in this article, battier says that it looked worse on TV than it actually was. i can believe that, that kobe intentionally bumped him, but that it wasn't really hard or severe at all, you know? but nevertheless, still a jerk move! haha

and i agree with the poster who said that kobe was tryin to provoke battier and maybe try to mentally mess with battier in order to draw fouls or just to get himself kobe going. he still had a good game, even when sick, and i'm sure that he'll be coming back lookin to dominate..as he did in that last regular season game.

still, bottom line: that was definitely uncalled for, jerk move by kobe, but i'm not sure if it warrants a suspension, yet it can't be called a technical foul like 2 days later..."we're gonna call a technical foul on you for what you did last game", haha they're not gonna do that, but it's not really suspension-worthy, it wasn't that bad. but it was such a cheap shot!

i'm not denying that kobe is, along with lebron, the best player in the league right now, but that unnecessary kneeing-and-elbowing of battier while battier's below him on the floor after playing really good defense displayed kobe's lack of character, at least at that moment.

i guess what kobe did probably motivated the rockets to play well, to stay focused, to go out and get the win.

i noticed that wafer didn't handle things as well with vujacic..definitely good to have passion and get emotional..when things are good, but not as effective when the going gets tough and calls aren't going your way. actually, maybe it's a good thing to show your disagreement with the calls and your frustration, but still gotta play well and send a message through your play and effectiveness on the court, which he did a 6 out of 10 job of doing last game.

but i sorta imagine if kobe tries anything like that again, that dorsey and artest, and our entire team - including yao, barry, chuck hayes - will gladly go to quell and calm the situation, if not that, then let dorsey and artest settle the matter. :p

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It takes talent to play D like he does. Shane may not be able to jump out of the gym or have the shake and bake moves, but don't kid yourselves. The man is an elite athlete.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I wouldn't say that. However, I do see one dude who seems to be on a mission and he just won the MVP.