1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I the only person who thinks the lesser of 2 evils...are the Lakers?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hoopgod13, May 29, 2002.

1. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

I don't care about the players........I just want to see Phil Jackson lose........and see what philosophical crap he'll put out of his @ss.

2. Timing

Timing Member

Man I can't imagine why people would hate the Kings. They're a breath of fresh air as far as I'm concerned and they're the most entertaining team in the league. Bibby is just a player out there, Christie is tough as hell, Hedo has no fear, Vlade is taking it right to Shaq in a major way, and CWebb put up 29 pts and 13 boards in the biggest game of his pro career. Plus they've got Chucky karma. What's not to like!?!?

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Ummm..I'll pass if it turns out like that.

I know that NBC would love it if it was the Lakers and Celtics.

Too bad it is not going to happen for them.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

C-Webb is an ass, but the Kings are the only team that can beat the Lakers and chop Shaq and Kobe's egos down for a while, thus Go Kings!

The Nets should be Boston and have a chance against the Kings,
    Go Nets, twice!!!

Boston-LA would suck donky balls. As much as this Boston team has nil in common with the Cornbread, Bird,Parrish, McHale, DJ, Ainge teams, it will forever be hard to root for that team that can't even pronounce "Celtic" right.

Nets over Kings and JK the playoff MVP would be a great way to start the summer, I think it could happen.

5. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I'm rooting for the kings and here's why. The kings play like TEAM! they move the ball and hit open shots. They hit big ones, especially bibby.

Now the lakers, well, they have 2 great players. They dont really rely much on their teammates, and what really makes me mad: these 2 great players milk the refs for everything they're worth. Shaq breaks every rule of basketball on just about every possession. Kobe just jumps into his defender, hangs, cocks the ball back and waits for the refs to bail him out.

Bottom line, the kings play basketball the way it was meant to be played, the lakers rely on their 2 powerhouses, who get every call imaginable.

6. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

The Kings have got my respect. I think the great poise they displayed last night just proved they are the better team. When the Lakers got downright physical the Kings returned the favor. Its not their style but in the long run they did it better than the Lakers. When you got Divac playing smart basketball and attacking the basket..... when you got CWebb knocking them down every which way...... when you got Bobby Jackson playing great defense on Bryant in the clutch..... and when you got Mike Bibby chopping them down offensively it spells disaster for the Lakers. How sweet was that steal Bibby taken from Shaq in the mid-late 4th quarter? I know the comparisons will rub some people in the wrong way here but Im not comparing actually maybe reminiscing but it reminded me alot of when Jordan stole the ball from Karl Malone in the Bulls final Championship series with Utah in game 6 I believe. Again Im not comparing Bibby to Michael Jordan just pointing out that it reminded me alot of that moment. The thing about this game that should be killing the Lakers right now is that the Kings did not play their best game. Neither did the Lakers but the Lakers are that dynasty everyone keeps talking about ain't they? If The Kings come in to the Staples Center in game 6 and attack the Lakers quickly with that physical offense as they used last night in attacking the basket and dropping fouls on Shaq and company then we have ourselves new NBA Champions.

I believe the best thing about the last game was Kobe bricklaying in the clutch. The Lakers looked very lost when Shaq went to the bench with 6. They wanted to get the ball to Kobe but the defensive assault by Sac-Town just shut them down under the final minute. Big props to Sac-Town. I can't wait until Shaq and Kobe finally choke and get dropped by Sac-Town Friday night.

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

True.

But they were a lot better than us...so I can't really blame them for that.

Webber's talk is the only thing I have against them....and that's not enough to offset not seeing another Laker championship.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I think everyone knows how I feel about the Kings. :( :mad:

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Teams shouldn't be tarnished just because they have stupid, annoying, evil, no-hoops-knowledge fans. Yes, I hate Kings fans (mostly the old women who are blind sheep who don't understand hoops). They are good fans and good for the Kings, but I just can't stand them. It's the same way "patrons" who go to concerts and opera's piss me off. Soooo many old people who don't have a clue of anything going on but just go to be seen by fellow old people. (Yes, I know it is good for the Arts because patrons support the arts...but I just see it as a necessary evil).

I hate Laker fans who are bandwagoning sheep also, who only go to games to close business deals and look good for their clients.

I hate Jazz fans cause they are evil people, just plain evil.

But not all their fans are like that, and again it's not a good reason to hate the team.

Now to break down players to hate or not.
    Lakers:
    Shaq-easy to hate a ogre, but shaq is just a kid with a lot of size and money. Think of him as a child and you can see he is a good kid, not evil.

Kobe-very arrogant, so legitimate reason to hate, but he has major skills and is pretty much a stand up citizen. Good family man (not like Shaq). Not really evil

Horry-who, not in Sactown, has any good reason to hate Horry (other than b/c he is kind of a dirty player)

Fox- wife is hot (Vanessa Williams). Reason to hate, but not legit

Fisher- flops too much, so I hate. Ruins the integrity of the game.

Kings:
    Webber- after reading Ralph Wiley's feature article on ESPN.com about CWebb, I'm starting to hate him more. Again, even if I view him as a child (like I view Shaq), he's not even a good kid. He's spoiled, selfish, arrogant, whiner, drama queen. He'd be a very bad kid. Also dating Tyra Banks=non-legit hatred

Vlade-see Fisher and multiply that by 10. He's smart, so he should be ashamed of himself. Flopping destroys the integrity of the game.

Bibby-no real reason to hate

Christie-no problem here

Stoik/Turgo - unless you hate europe, no legit reason here.

-----------

So after evaluating both teams, I find similar reason to hate them both, maybe the Kings a little more (only b/c of CWebb and Divac). I don't think either of them are that evil though. Only Utah is evil all around cause their whole team flops and screens illegally.

10. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I hope the Kings beat the Lakers in L.A. tonite. I hope the Nets beat the Kings.

It will be so boring and bad for Basketball if the Lkers win again. I am sooooo sick of Ahmad Rashad --TV's Ms. Cosby's husband/biotccchhh saying how much fun it is to see the Lakers win. Go Kings!!

C Webb - I will never forgive you for giving Rockets fans high hopes you might come to Houston when you never had the slightest intention of playing for us. You are lower than elephant dung.

Then C. Webb has the nerve to disrespect Frances and Mobely later. He is an a**.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't see the justifications for many of these hatreds:

Webber: The reason Webber is not a Rocket is because, after getting Griffin in the draft, the Rockets decided not to pursue him. He never had an opportunity to spurn the Rockets. Would he have if he had been given the opportunity? Maybe, but he wasn't. He did talk some smack as well. That doesn't much bother me since it couldn't be construed as disloyalty, having never been remotely a Rocket.

Flopping: I know it bothers many people and it is the justification for the blind hatred of the Utah Jazz. But, what's the big deal? A defender sacrifices his defensive position in a bid to have a foul called. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't see how it destroys the integrity of the game; refs are woven into the fabric of the game. And it isn't just Vlade, Fisher and the Jazz who do it. The entire league does it, even our very own Rockets.

Now for my own irrational hatreds:

Winning: I hate winners. Any team that has been on top too long (besides the Rockets of course) I will hate. The Lakers fall into that category. The Spurs and Kings, among others, don't because they haven't been winners for very long.

Big cities: Any US city bigger than Houston is on my bad side: New York, LA, and Chicago. And smaller cities with delusions of grandeur (Dallas) should watch out too. I'm also not too fond of hip cities like San Francisco. Obviously LA is a major transgressor while Sacramento is completely unoffensive in both size and hipness. It's only geographic drawback is being in California.

Smugness: If there is anything worse than winning it is being smug about it. The Kings aren't too smug; no one gave them enough respect in the first place with which to be smug. Shaq isn't as bad about it, but Bryant is pretty damn smug and there is no one on the planet more smug than Phil Jackson. In fact, Jackson is so damn smug that it trumps every other consideration. If Jackson were to take the job as coach of the Memphis Grizzlies and he was playing against LA with O'Neal and Bryant, I'd root for the Lakers to trample them by 50.

12. knifejc

knifejc Member

HERE HERE!