1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Brent Barry---I Believe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, Apr 30, 2009.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

With Von more than likely out for tonight's crucial game 6, the seasoned veteran and consummate professional Brent Barry will most likely play his first meaningful minutes of the series tonight.

Many are worried and rightfully so, Wafer has been a real nice bright spot for the Rockets this series coming off the bench.

There will be many things that Wafer can do that Barry alas can no longer do anymore in the twilight of his career BUT not all hope is lost. Not at all I say.

Why do I believe in these Rockets and why do I believe in Brent Barry? Let me count the ways:

-Championship experience, yes Barry has 2 rings he received as a member of that other team in texas. When he steps on the court tonight he will be the only player on the floor who will have experience being in the biggest of stages and playing in the most crucial of times. This cannot be overlooked. Barry has hit some big shots and made some timely plays in the playoffs and finals.

-3 point shooting! Barry is a CAREER 40% shooter from beyond the arc and quite simply the Rockets have been getting burnt the entire series from the 3 point line :

Game 1: Rockets 8-21 Blazers 1-11
    Game 2: Rockets 7-20 Blazers 5-11 *
    Game 3: Rockets 3-9 Blazers 10-23
    Game 4: Rockets 9-16 Blazers 7-15
    Game 5: Rockets 3-15 Blazers 6-14

*Game 2 brooks went 3-3 from 3 in the last 20 seconds to make it a closer than expected game during meaningful "crunch" time the rockets went 4-17

If you look above the team that usually won the 3 point battle won the game, the biggest difference is game 3 which the Rockets won (i am citing the 4-17 state from the * above for game 2) in games that have been decided by mere points

Having a dead-eye shooter out there taking some of those 3s may make the difference. Also having the reputation of being a dead-eye shooter will force the Blazers to play him honest and give the Rockets much better space out on the floor.

-IQ Barry is probably one of the smartest players to play the game, even in his old age he will make the proper cuts, the necessary passes and drives into the lane despite his diminished athleticism. While he will not be throwing them down as he may have in his younger days he will more often than not make the proper play, whether that is taking it to the hoop for a foul, dropping it off to a post man underneath or kicking it out for the three.

Which ties into my second point about Barry being that willing passer, the ball movement should be much much better with Barry in the game vs Wafer. This is not a knock on Wafer at all, but he does tend to get "tunnel vision" when he has the ball (but that is his role out there) having Barry move the ball around the perimeter and into Yao will help greatly. Barry has played with Tim Duncan and may know a thing or two about getting the ball inside.

-Free Throw shooting...normally a strength for this Rockets team during the season it has not jumped over to the playoffs as much as I would have hope. Barry is as automatic as you can get from the line.

-Ball Handling ....Everyone gets made at Ron Artest trying to run the entire offense well you know whose fault that is? The PGs fault. I see all the time that Brooks and more so Lowry give the ball to artest to bring up or give the ball off to Artest at the top of the key real early in the shot clock. Being young guards its natural for them to try to hand it off to the vet, but the problem is that is probably one of the least efficient plays the Rockets have in their book. Barry is a veteran he isnt going to take any guff from anyone and will run the play as needed even if it means waving off Artest. Go back to the championship experiences he has and the other players will respect that and Barry more than the inexperienced Brooks and Lowry

-Defense ......yeah he isnt average at defense let along good, but the Rockets play great team defense and hopefully his inadequacies will be mask by that team defense. At least the positive note is that Wafer wasnt all-nba himself but was able to pass by using his athleticism, Barry will have to use his smarts. On the plus side he more than likely will see Rudy F who tends to run around the perimeter and shoot jumpers instead of going inside and using size and strength (which hurts Barry the most)

-Last but not least Resiliency! The team has been too much this season from injuries to trades to gun shot wounds. I think the team will rally around and Barry can lead that charge quietly. Barry despite not playing has always been engaging himself during games by watching the games and coaching the young guards. He has been able to sit back for 5 games and see what works and didnt work LIVE and not on film. those little nuances will make him ready and good to go.

Brent Barry I salute you and wish you the best tonight.

Rockets in 6!

2. DamnDivision

DamnDivision Member

3. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

he will be great tonight!!! I feel it!!! he has GUTS and he WILL hit the big shot

anybody remember this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/55QAqgNDRYs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/55QAqgNDRYs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I believe!

5. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

when the game ends tonight, this thread will be kissing barry's arse ;)

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Who knows, maybe he'll end up being that disregarded role player that ends up being a hero.

7. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

If anyone will come off the bench and make a difference, it will be Brent Barry. His experience is fool's gold.

8. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

I hope so. But Brent is not Deke, most shooters need rhythm to shoot well, for a guy hasn't played much, it's hard to do that. Also I don't recall Brent has more success passing the ball inside than other players. If rockets win tonight, most likely it's despite of Brent, not because of Brent. Hope I am wrong.

9. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

I just hope him being in the game will free up yao ming, and hell if they leave barry open hopefully he makes them PAY

10. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

I'll jump on the Barry wagon too

11. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

he has technically been further than ANY player on our team

12. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Co-sign.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

remember how effective he is with AB on the floor? It's going to be good.

14. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

ya that is what I was thinking! I also think we need to sic kyle lowry on rudy fernandez all night long :cool:

15. ThaShark316_28

DamnDivision and Al Capone...

I see yall...

*crosses both ur names off tonight's party list*

16. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

Good point!

17. tsunami

tsunami Member

I don't believe.

18. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

Brent won't have any problem with Fernandez who is also slow, even slower than Brent himself. I can't wait to see those two white high-flyers matching up with each other. ;)

19. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

and that is why your red, and it's not rockets red! :D

20. houstonsnk

houstonsnk Member

I believe.................we got this