1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just a hypothetical

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by juanschwartz, Apr 27, 2009.

Tags:
  1. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

QFT -- 29 other teams would LOVE to have Yao.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

umm, u do remember tmac is injured. If we had a healthy tmac or just had someone else filling in those 20 mil this series would have been over 4-0, they would have never thought of fronting Yao. It would be much easier and WISER for houston to replace tmac, if he cant come back healthy, with someone who can shoot and penetrate and we can be pretty close to unbeatable. Do you guard yao one on one and let him shot 10 of 12, or do you double or front , leaving the rim wide open for that wing player to do damage?

Keep in mind yao is guarded this way because teams think he's that good, that's a GOOD THING to have. If TD had some more bulk, a wider variety of post moves, especially some kind of fadeaway, and could hit his jumper off a move more consistently, he'd be guarded the same way.

I think too much focus is placed on getting big numbers, Roy's 41 shows you it's not always going to win you games. Being extremely efficient can be much more damaging with enough attempts. Yao could probably shoot like 12 out of 17 almost every time if just played straight up every game. and he'd have those nights where he's shooting ridiculously well, like 14 of 15.

Back when he was played one on one, he and the team held him back. Yao wsnt demanding and lacked a killer instinct, the team ignored him at times. Then they started to put together quarters or halfs of just going to yao almost every time and realized how well that worked and improved their play. Problem was they still went away from yao at some point in the game. Opposing teams quickly adjusted before Houston managed to do it for a full game. So now it's the defense taking Yao out of games. No one in the NBA will do well in the post when they're sandwiched. Even Dream would have suffered some, he probably wouldnt have been taken out completely due to his rare mix of skills, but you'd notice a significant difference.

Just wait it out until we sort out the tmac situation.

3. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Great idea! How about Yao for Joel Przybilla straight up. I guarantee Przybilla will never have to worry about being taken out of the game by a fronting defense.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Your question is a valid one,but we are not likely to get another big who can overcome these hurdles.I'm not against trading anyone if we can get better. The more prudent approach might be to get another 5/4 with length,athleticism who can defend,rebound and shoot the mid-range effectively. McGrady's expiring contract might be useful to us.

5. juanschwartz

juanschwartz Member

lol wut?

6. ibm

ibm Member

+1.

since yao is shut down by the fronting defense of pryzbillas/oden, let's do a trade and make the 2 portland centers rockets. next time, we can shut yao down when we play the blazers.

7. juanschwartz

juanschwartz Member

I agree. I don't see the KILLER instinct in Yao yet. I would like it if Yao demanded his space a bit more instead of folding like a Laundromat to guys nearly a foot shorter.

I am anxious to see how the T-Mac situation ends.

I also like how posting a "what if" thread generates so much hate. Bunch of insecure farks in here can't even discuss it. haha

8. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

I've heard get rid of Tmac, Artest, and yao threads this season...... who we gonna keep??? :D :D :D :D lol

9. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Getting a 4/5 with athleticism would be nice but I think our biggest need is an elite perimeter scorer to replace what McGrady was supposed to give us. I have no idea how we get that but that's what I see as our biggest need. After that, I'd say a backup for Yao. With Lowry on board, I no longer think PG is our biggest need.

Trading Yao is not the answer unless it brings back something incredible in return, like a proven superstar or a #1 overall pick in a year where that #1 pick is a no doubt superstar in the making.

10. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

I understand where you are coming from but if you want to start a thread about trading "you know who" then you should know better not to do it without your anti-flame suit.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well i meant he didnt have the killer instinct back then. I think he does now. He's just facing a defense no one can really succeed against, not in the post. Having that instinct doesnt really mean he should be able to get open when double teamed, it's more about being willing to take the shot every posession and making strong moves every time. He did that late in the season, especially in the Dallas game, but his teammates just stopped looking and he got fronted.

I just dont think fans should get too bent out of shape regardless of what happens the rest of this season. This team has gone to pretty much counted out of the playoffs by most of the national media to now possibly going to the second round. They almost won a division title (actually did since the refs screwed up the Finley call). they had a chance to get a number two seed. They overachieved like crazy. They could have easily barely made the playoffs and lost in the first round to LA and most fans would probably just brush it off due to tmac's injury. But instead of that, the team came out and won and surprised us all, now we're getting spoiled by it all so we're going to be more critical if they mess up early in the playoffs.

12. juanschwartz

juanschwartz Member

I feel you, but the idea was prefixed by him scoring like 4-6 points a game and being shut down causing us to drop out in the first round after being up 3-1. Who would keep a player like that? Oh... we would. :eek:

13. saleem

I agree with you. I would love to see Wade leave Miami for Houston.(Don't see it happening). A backup for Yao would be cherry on the top.

14. juanschwartz

juanschwartz Member

What about Ben Gordon? That guy has shown some ridiculous stuff this post-season.

15. saleem

Gorden is a very good scorer but he does have some shortcomings.
    Lacks defense,size,height and has average passing ability.
    I wouldn't mind him if he came cheap.(8-9M for 3-4 yrs).

16. she'sdone

she'sdone Member

Ok, trade Yao for Ben Gordon and the Bulls will have a good chance to win the title next year.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think he meant just get gordon, not necessarily for Yao..

I think Gordon is a nice pick up, but not if we keep ron. I think we can stand to lose ron for gordon. Gordon is a better shooter and doesnt overdribble as much, although he can jack it up as much, but he's moreliekly to go off for 30 or 40 than ron. And he's clutch.

And I'd still would love to find a way to take Tyrus away from chicago...

18. juanschwartz

juanschwartz Member

He knew what I meant... He just had nothing to say to refute was I stated about Yao getting fronted like a biatch so he went the attack the poster route.

19. kawins

kawins Member

Completely idiotic post.

20. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

My only question for the OP: Is your name really Juan Schwartz? I've never met a Jewish person with a Spanish first name.

To me, that is slightly more interesting than the content of the post.