1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis, por favor, no me gusta el flopping

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Apr 25, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If you can t beat em join em

2. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Battier is not a flopper. He often exaggerates the contact.

Scola blatantly flops with little contact.

The j*zz on the other hand flop without contact.

PLease don't compare Scola to the j*zz.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Are you a lawyer? Give me a break with this semantics argument. If Battier or Scola were on the Jazz, every Rocketfan would hate them for being floppers.

4. jedicro

jedicro Member

Honestly, IMO we've lost all reason to complain about flopping. Battier and Scola flop too much for us to take exception to any other teams flopping, as irritating as it might be.

I still hate Przybilla's talk tough then fall to the ground mentality. Jerk.

5. nightwatch

nightwatch Rookie

Exactly. I don't see Scola flopping against non-floppers.

Rockets should flop only if the guys on the other team are flopping and they're getting favorable calls because of it. If it's that's the only way to even the playing field, so be it. Like my grand mama used to say, what's good for the goose is good for the gander :D

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

....and then Chuck Hayes with the key flop to draw the foul at the end of the game.....lol.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I disagree. By the rule, if a contact is made, it's either a foul or a charge. But in reality, they don't call a charge unless you fall down. Falling down is just making sure they call the play by the rule. How is it cheating?

8. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

It's OK... it was only a Level 1 flop.

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Thank God he did. Who knows if the ref calls the offensive foul (which was merited, Chuck had position) if Chuck doesn't end up on the floor.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You fall down because contact was enough to make you fall down. You get knocked back because contact was enough to knock you back. If neither of these happen, don't "exaggerate for effect" because it was obviously not enough to be considered a foul. You can't judge "exaggeration". Basically you're saying if someone brushes your jersey, you can exaggerate for effect and fall down. I mean heck, why not? The ref sure can't tell if it was a hard enough collision to really put you down.

Take this soccer flopping crap out of here. Or better yet, respond to it like Dave Cowens does in this excerpt from a Bill Simmons article that had me laughing (despite the fact Cowens did it to a former Rocket) :

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070516&sportCat=nba

-----------------------------------------------------------

The single most disgusting NBA development of the past few years? The flopping. Slowly, regretfully, inexplicably, the sport is morphing into soccer -- as exemplified by Kirilenko's swan dive near the end of Tuesday's Jazz-Warriors game that fouled out Matt Barnes, or Kirk Hinrich's perfectly designed flopparoo to draw Chauncey Billups' fourth foul in Detroit Tuesday. I blame the influx of European players for this trend because flopping has always been an acceptable part of soccer; they grew up watching that crap and understood that it could work in basketball as well, especially if you have a group of largely incompetent referees calling the action. So it started a few years ago, it's gotten worse and worse, and now, it's affecting the overall competitiveness of these games.

Here's the problem: Because we don't have any anti-flopping rules, it behooves defenders to fall backward every time a low-post player lowers his shoulder, and it behooves them to slide under airborne players and plant their feet for a charge (even if they might end up breaking the guy's neck in the process). Not to keep bringing up the pickup basketball analogy, but geez ... can you imagine if somebody pulled this crap during a game among friends? The prevailing reactions would be, "What the hell are you doing?" and "If you do that again, I'm gonna sock you." But because the NBA refuses to do anything about the flopping, it's evolved into a savvy defensive maneuver. For instance, if you're Barnes and you're giving up 50 pounds to Boozer on the low post, there's only two ways you're stopping him: Go for a strip if he puts the ball on the ground, or jump backward if he's dumb enough to lower his shoulder as he's turning around. Those are your two options.

Is that basketball? Hell, no! In fact, when I was a little kid -- and I swear to God, this happened -- a guard named Mike Newlin flopped to draw a charge from the great Dave Cowens, a fiery Hall of Famer who played with a remarkable level of passion and fury, to the degree that he burned himself out after 7-8 years. Completely and utterly outraged that Newlin committed such a phony act of sportsmanship, Cowens berated the ref who made the call, yelled at him some more, then started running back on defense when he noticed Newlin dribbling up the court. Now, our seats were at midcourt, so this happened right in front of us and nearly caused me to pee my pants -- as Cowens was running, he snapped and suddenly charged Newlin like a free safety, bodychecked him at full speed (much, MUCH harder than Horry's foul on Nash) and sent poor Newlin careening into the press table at about 35 mph. Then he turned to the same ref and screamed ...

"NOW THAT'S A F------- FOUL!"

11. IVAN.D.TERRIBLE

Flopping? IMO those were great deffence jod done by Scola. There were body contacts, Scola had position. sometime falling down is kind of self protect!

12. illteacher

illteacher Member

What about Roy and all his wailing every time he penetrates? Is that fair? Isn't he trying to deceive the referees too? Just a thought.

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Scola is bad about the flopping. Would definitely like to see him tone it down a notch.

Battier I think is a lot less offensive. He seems to work hard to get position. Now, he does exaggerate - but let's face it. In today's NBA, you have to do at least that much because you are going to get plenty of it at the other end.

Chuck's play at the end wasn't a flop at all - that was legitimate contact. I mean, what happens if Chuck doesn't move? Roy falls, the basket probably counts, and we are looking at a possible And 1.

Chuck had to fall when he got hit.

14. guangzu

guangzu Member

Unless NBA has this rule (not just talking) against the flopping established, you (particularly if you're defensive player) just HAVE to do it! Otherwise, your team will lose, period. Name one team, any team, right now are wining without flopping?! It's just life of NBA now, deal with it!

15. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

His defense has been sub-par like most the other Argentinians. He makes up for it with flopping. His D has improved so hopefully he will cut it down.

16. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

I think you are missing the difference between a total flop and what Chuck hayes does. Chuck takes the contact, Luis flops.

17. mrc

mrc Member

too bad Deke didn't elbow this BRAsbilla

ps, just saw the bra-guy's tatoo last night, omfg, like he's wearing an ugly bra :D

18. guangzu

guangzu Member

and we need both of them to win the game!

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Chuck didn't flop. He could have moved his feet to maintain his balance and didn't. But, he was knocked down.

Battier does flop. I was laughing on the one drive by Roy where Battier fell down and the ref called a foul on him. On the replay, you could see that there was no actual contact because Battier flopped too early. But, he got the worst of both worlds. Had he stood his ground, the contact might have disrupted Roy's shot. If he hadn't fallen down, the ref might not have called a foul. And, even though that was an extra point for the Blazers in a tight game, I couldn't help but be glad Battier was punished for his shameful flopping.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm sure that you think this argument is flawless - and I won't be able to convince you otherwise - but I hate Kirilenko/Harpring/Varejao much, much more than Przybilla, Paul, or even Ginobili and Parker, because there IS a difference.