1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to officiate Yao: Game 5, a case in point

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by arif1127, Apr 26, 2009.

1. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let me start by saying, that was a great victory and it was awesome watching a Rockets team come from behind in the 4th quarter to win a big game!

The biggest difference tonight, as compared to games 2 and 3, was the way the refs officiated the post. Richard Justice, I hate to say this, was dead on when he wrote his article yesterday, comparing the Blazers defense on Yao to MMA. Today, the refs called most of the grabbing, pushing, clutching, and hooking that Pryzbilla and Oden used against Yao. Because it was called early in the game, Pryzbilla and Oden were forced to clean up their defense, and in turn Yao was able to get open in the post much more often tonight than at any point in games 2 and 3.

Coach Adelman also made an astute observation when he said Yao was fighting back too hard, which obscured the fouls that Portland was committing against him. Yao backed off multiple times tonight, then reasserted himself to gain post position without all the pushing and shoving that usually goes on.

I love watching good inside-outside basketball like every Rockets fan does, but the last two games we hadn't seen any of it b/c of all the physicality Portland was getting away with in the post.

Tonight was the return of Yao, the return of post play, and one hell of an entertaining victory. I hope the refs continuing trying to clean up the post defense on the part of Portland, and if they do, the Rockets have a great chance to have Yao dominate Portland in the post.

2 people like this.
  2. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

great insights. thank you.

3. GirlsAloud

GirlsAloud Member

Yes, I saw this happen too. Yao was reposting and getting the ball too. He picked his spots better and his teammates did a better job of getting him the ball. Both Oden and Pryzibilla where in foul trouble most of the game.

4. DaRrEnZhAnG

DaRrEnZhAnG Member

First, Yao cant draw the foul without the ball. Yao actually never request many shot attempt like others. So, I guess giving him 12--15 shot ateempts is not a mission impossible in the 48-mins whole game.
    Second, the refs was b****ing Yao for 2 and half games. They wont do this every game. But if our guards dont pass the ball to Yao, the refs wont call the fouls against Blazers a lot.
    Yao has the ablity to foul out the whole Portland's frontcourt with the damn ball.

When Yao scored more than 20 points or got more shot attempts, we generally win the game.
    Good luck to the Rox in Game 5. :cool: :cool: :cool:

5. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Agreed, Worrell mentioned Monty McKutcheon early on when they were fouling Yao in the back.

At first I was like, WTF, where was the foul. But after a few replays and Bull giving great insight on the rules, it was the correct call and the Blazers had been fortunate not to get whistled on more fouls in the previous games.

6. guangzu

guangzu Member

I guess it (game #5) will depend on who are the refs, they can determine if Yao will win the battle.

7. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

David Stern understands Yao's English. ;)

8. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

If I were the refs, I would foul Pryz & Oden out maybe before the 2nd half starts.

Tell you, I am a Chinese, I want to play Yao without a opponent Centre battling on him!! :rolleyes: :D :D

9. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

The way games are called has had tremendous impact on Yao's, and to a lesser extent, Roy's game.

10. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

great officiating game for the most part. Pretty even. Roy got his calls and Yao got his post up calls

11. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

I was thinking may be Richard Justice had an impact on the game by writing the article. May be the officials read the article while staying at the hotel.

I hope they keep calling the game the way they did today so Yao can get the touches. It makes our offense look very good.

12. superweapon-yao

not worried at all ... but I am sure that Yao will get some special 'care' from refs when we face lakers at LA

13. ryl

ryl Member

I think the original post was dead on in that Yao pushes the whole time, masking a lot of the shoving that happens inside. He should just stand around... and make a quick move to seal off his man. It's analogous to a fast player running at the same pace... probably not as effective as a good change of pace move. I'm glad Yao did well today, as you can see how good we were when we can get it to him.

14. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Yea i am afraid the refs won't give Yao this kind of treatment every time. But it was the right treatment. You can't have defenders being overaggressive against on offensive player. Ever since i learned to watch basketball, i notice the defensive player CAN NOT overpower an offensive player or it's going to be a foul!! But the offensive player can overpower them somewhat and still get away with it. Tonight was how they should be ref. The previous 2 games before tonight, they let Portland players being physical with Yao without calling a foul...which is ridiculous.

15. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Some of the things that Yao did could have been called against him if they have the same ref crews from the previous games.

16. MYM[Moon

MYM[Moon Member

damn! :mad:

17. Bobby60

Bobby60 Member

Tonight was probably the most even handed treatment of Yao that I've seen all year. Of course Blazer fans, with their "unbiased" opinions would beg to differ. Complaining about the refs and their treatment of Prizgirla and Oden was the main focus on their Fan Forum. Throughout this series, the Blazers had turned the post area into a Square Circle reminiscent of the WWE. A foul is a foul is a foul, and if having an officiating crew who actually understands the rules for this sort of thing results in the "perps" getting fouls called on them is just BS, IMO. Just trying to find an alibi for the loss.

18. NBAlover

NBAlover Member

to be honest, Yao did very good job to foul blazer's bigs out in this series. look back past 4 games, their big guys almost produced nothing but fouls, except the fronting, pushing, flopping and grabbing on Yao.

19. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Blazers radio announcers were cry so loud about McCutcheon calling all the fouls. Their play by play guy said that if McCutcheon was getting paid for each fowl he called on the Blazers, he would be a millionaire before the night was over. Both their radio and TV teams whine about calls incessently.

20. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

That was pretty dead on! I have some pictures of blatant fouls against yao that were no calls....ill post them up soon as I can.