1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RonRon and Shane

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chamillionaire, Apr 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. logicx

logicx Member

If he's going for "ferocious" then Ron should be 1, maybe...but Bruce Bowen is a close 2 if not a 1. Ferocious meaning flagrant, of course...

2. Chamillionaire

why isn't shane of the list, i mean he might not be ferocious, but he's in the opponents face all game, that would p*ss me off. that's pretty ferocious.

3. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

You just answered your own question buddy!

Keep in mind that the top 5 list provided isn't a top 5 for BEST defenders. Just the most FEROCIOUS.

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Kobe right now doesn't play as good defense as he played a year ago.

He and DWade are not even close to what Artest and Shane do for your team defensivly.

5. chasingu

chasingu Member

definitely yes

it's our fortune to have them both.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't like putting Kobe up there with Battier or Artest. Battier/Artest see Kobe 3 times (min) per year. How many times does Kobe guard Kobe? Batter/Artest win by default...

7. Chamillionaire

kobe generally burns us, even with ronron and battier guarding him.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

like good Offensive Player
    you can tell a good defensive player. . by how the other team reacts
    The fact that they have to set picks and stagger screens etc
    just to try and scrape the defender off his man . . .say the person is a good defender

Rocket River

9. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Exactly.

Pick and roll is the best play in basketball. You can't shut it down, you can only contain it.

And we all know good offense always, I mean ALWAYS beats good defense :)

10. ExJordanary

ExJordanary Member

though both artest and shane are very good defenders, i still think the best perimeter defender in the league is bruce bowen. no matter what u think of the man, he will give it his all on defence, and make no mistake about it hes gonna be stuck on u like a siamese twin for the next 40 or so minutes

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yea
    It is irratating to me .. .that when people talk about GREAT PLAYERS
    they generally only talk about one end of the court

Too many 'superstars' play half *ssed defense

Rocket River

12. nomad_balla

nomad_balla Member

i think both shane and ron has lost a step. they are still great defenders because they haven't forget how to play defense. artest is nowhere near his DPOY self from his indiana days after he added so much weight to his body. the lateral movement and athleticism is missing. ron is basically trying to bully his opponents right now. but where is back then he could both bully them and still keep up with them with his feet.

shane isn't that athletic to begin with, but he is still a great defender because he has such good fundamentals on defense and he is a very willing defender. overall, i think shane still got it because he is so smart on defense but he ain't as athletic as he used to be.

i think a few players should really be mentioned as good perimeter defenders. i think bruce bowen obviously. that guy is just annoying. i think manu ginobili and trevor ariza is very underrated as perimeter defenders. manu plays great help defense and seals his man off so well and he also plays offense, just a great player to have on a team. ariza is also annoying cause he is so active and long. i think if we see him next round, we'll find out more about him. because he is their best defensive player when kobe decides to focus on the O.

13. Chamillionaire

not anymore, i think shane`s surpassed him imo.

14. Chamillionaire

add chris paul *flopper to that list, also kidd and billups been playing good d recently.

15. nomad_balla

nomad_balla Member

more like fallen behind him. bowen is old as hell now

16. Roxlover

Roxlover Member

Thx for Battier and Von 's work tonight.

Otherwise we 'll lose game 4 with Artest+Brooks+Lowry's 7-31...so poor perctage.

17. RocketsBearFan

Battier is awesome. This is why JVG got him and this is why Adleman starts him. Dude is cool as a cucumber under pressure, the smartest player on our team, our best entry passer, hits clutch 3's, hustles all the time, gritty, and has great court vision. Did I mention that Battier is awesome?

18. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Shane > Ron in defending Roy, not to mention his clutchness and good decision with the ball.

19. StonesRunIt

StonesRunIt Member

Best one on one perimeter defenders

1. Kobe Bryant.

When he turns it on, he has the best combination of footwork, strength, length speed and quickness.

2. Shane Battier

Cerebral assassin on the court. Moves his feet quickly and contests every shot. Tends get out muscled by bigger players.

3. Ronnie Brewer

Has the ability to cover a good variety of players, all while staying on his feet with good position between his opponent and the basket. Very disciplined.

4. Ime Udoka

At 6'5 has the skills to cut off the driving angles and active hands to make it a chore to get off a east jumper.

5. Ron Artest

Physical. He's the guy at the gym who you complain fouls too much, while everyone else sees good defense and your poor shooting performance. Quick players can be problematic along with his gambling tendency, but his deceptively long arms allow him the space to play the drive and close on jumper.

Honorable Mention: Trevor Ariza

20. ryl

ryl Member

That is probably true for most swing players. But there are some great post players who are difference makers on O and D. Hakeem, Duncan, Shaq, etc.