1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we be worried about Greg Oden in these series?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motionsiknes, Apr 24, 2009.

1. bloop

bloop Member

Hayes would have problems in a Laker series with their big guys.

But Oden just leans into the body, Hayes is strong enough to hold his ground and he's veteran enough to get fouls called on Oden. There wont be any issues.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

That OLD guy? No way.

3. kmoney

kmoney Member

whenever he gets in the game just let lowry and von drive and he will pick up quick fouls just like in game 2.. oden is a fouling machine

4. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

yes, you're thinking too much on it. Deke was trying to block him at every opportunity that's why he got the turnaround slam. no worries. oden is going to pick up too many fouls in this series for him to play well.

5. realrockyboy

realrockyboy Rookie

You mean the old man who played 12 mins with 6 pts and 6 fouls??? :rolleyes:

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

Oden was solid for a stretch there and defended Yao better than he did before.

He picks up some real stupid fouls though.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Oden picked up stupid fouls, but he was effective because the refs let him hold Yao the entire night.

8. PumperX

PumperX Contributing Member

I wouldn't worry about him. He hasn't proved anything yet. Besides, I think Chuck can stop him cause the dude has zero post move.

9. RareAir

RareAir Member

I'm worried about the fact that he travels damn near everytime he has the ball.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Goon-ish or not, Oden has tools at center to be effective for stretches. Even if its just at a Kendrick Perkins/Tyson Chandler ceiling, not like the Rockets have anyone past Yao who can guard that. Doesnt put a scare in me cuz he's still a dunks and putbacks guy. I dont see this being his coming out party. He more contributes to stretches where the Rockets cant get a REBOUND to save their life.

11. Avicenna76

Avicenna76 Member

He looks older than Mutombo.

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Why are people hating on Oden's game? Maybe it's because I missed the days of big physical big man battle like Ewing and Hakeem (when I started following the NBA). Look at the following video and see what use to be OK in the paint. I loved this game.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oHo8iv8Ae_s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oHo8iv8Ae_s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. Norway's Winter

If YAO was not in foul troblem, Oden equals nothing.

If YAO was, then not just Oden but any other guys should be worried about...

14. HtownForever

HtownForever Member

we should play cook more, he can shoot the 3s

15. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Oden is already better at the offensive end than Pryzbilla. Yao doesn't need to guard Pryzbilla, but he can't help too much off Oden. That is why Oden played more minutes than Pryzbilla.

16. HtownForever

HtownForever Member

yao is useless when they frontin him.

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

THAT IS WRONG.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

We praise Kyle Lowry for lowering his head and ramming into people's chest all game long. But a BIG man playing a power game is a goon.

I thought backing people down in the post WAS post moves back in the day? Now Oden does travel, still clumsy offense... :)

19. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:D LOL thats all I have to say about this thread........

20. blender

blender Member

Oden's improving, but he's still a season or two away from figuring out how to consistently play without getting into foul trouble.

Also, I've noticed he looks really tired by the fourth quarter despite playing limited minutes. When the camera pans to him, he's usually gulping for air. It makes me wonder if his conditioning is not up to the level it should be yet.