1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AUTO] The death of Pontiac....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tigereye, Apr 23, 2009.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

.....will be Monday, according to Edmunds and Leftlane News.

I know the nameplate has suffered from the current lineup but I cant help to think how strange this will be. The same nameplate that brought us "The Goat" is no more. Growing up, the mid-to-late 90's Firehawk was my favorite car. So badass....

Hopefully, when the economy and the automotive industry recovers, someone will revive the ole nameplate, along with cars worthy enough to be called "The Goat" or The Firehawk."

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I think Lehman and Merrill going down was a bigger shocker.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Rumor has it that they're prepariing for a Chrysler Chapter 11 bankruptcy as well...

4. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

shocked but needed.

there's just way too many GM brands sucking it up.

GM needs to go to a toyota/nissan setup where they have an economy and luxury line instead of 10 diff brands.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They all looked the same. Even the new GTO looked just like the other crappy cars they sold.

6. tigereye

tigereye Member

The current GTO is a re-badged Holden Monaro from Australia. The same goes for the G8.

7. tigereye

tigereye Member

On my RSS feed @ my work email, MSNBC was reporting Chrysler's bankruptcy would come next week too.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They're trying to get rid of some of their brands by selling them so they can make some money. Hummer has been in rumors to go to a Chinese company ( :eek: ) and Saturn may be up for sale.

9. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

man

fair enough the company has really fallen off, but it's still a sad day. for me, it feels like when a favorite athlete retires... yet in reality, it's much worse.

this isn't the same company that brought us these classic. :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and my car - [​IMG]

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very sad. I remember drag racing my cousin in his 1966 Pontiac Bonneville, the one with the 421 cubic inch, 376hp monster under the hood. It drove him crazy that I could beat him with my 1965 Mustang fastback, with the 271hp 289 V8. God, those were the days. Gas under 30 cents a gallon, few cops, and some really great streets to race on out in Southeast Houston.

I was always a Ford/Merc guy, but I liked Pontiacs. A real bummer. :(

11. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I thought they'd keep Pontiac around with a couple of sportier cars (like the Solstice and the like) to be sold through Buick dealers.

My first car, by the by, was an '86 Trans Am.

#11 mrpaige, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

My first car was a Pontiac Grand Am. See you in hell, Pontiac.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

So you guys are telling me the Pontiac Aztek wasn't a good idea?

14. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

dude, i'm sorry, but Pontiac's cars have suuuucked over the past decade. Not really making me very sad.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I actually liked the looks of the new GTO, but I guess it didn't really hold true to the GTO name and what it stood for and that's why people hated it.

16. Ari

Ari Member

That is sad. The Firebird and Trans AM were my favorite cars of 90's. The few still driving around today still kick ass and look as fresh today as they did almost 15 years ago. Alas, it is necessary for the greater good, which is GM pulling through the hard times.

RIP Pontiac :(

17. Fatty FatBastard

Really? Sad as it is, the Smokey and the Bandit and Knight Rider series killed the Trans Am, which was the only thing Pontiac had going for it. Once they became known as red-headed step-childs of an exponentially deteriorating company, the big picture was seen.

I still recall both me and my brother having cars in 89. I went 87 Mustang. He went 86 Camaro. There wasn't a contest. Speed, handling, things breaking, etc. I've never bought a GM since, and that was after my dad had a few, himself. They were just really, really bad cars. And I've ridden in enough to know.

Odd thing is they are the Goliath. Ford hasn't asked for a bailout, and Dodge has been on the brink for decades.

Unions had their value at one point in time, but just like a pendulum swing, it has been corrupted. Time for them to swallow the pill or give up. Your glory days of crappy work like it is a government job are over.

Welcome to the real world.

18. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Of course, a lot of the reasons GM made crappy cars that fewer and fewer people wanted was because of non-union design, finance, marketing and engineering people.

Though there have certainly been quality-control problems over the years with GM products, the relentless pursuit of wringing every penny out of each and every car can also result in inferior components being used and ending up with cars that look and feel cheap when compared to offerings from competing companies. Even the best, most efficient factory workers can't turn crappy wiring or cheap plastics into high-quality cars.

And even the design of the factories and how workers were tasked to do their jobs was probably a factor in the lower quality/less efficient results. Check out the differences between how a car is made in a Toyota factory vs. in a GM factory. It seems like the factory design itself (and factories aren't designed by the union laborers) at Toyota and similar companies is designed to place a higher value on quality control.

If the company doesn't value quality control, it's difficult to motivate the rank-and-file to value quality control on their own.

GM has been a dysfunctional company for a long time with plenty of blame for their current and past failures to go around.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Plymouth was the real muscle era umm... muscle.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Man this sucks. My favorite two cars that friends owned as a teenager were both Pontiacs. One owned a Firebird with the ram air and everything. The other owned a mid '80s Gran Prix that was really, really, really fast.

Looking back, both cars were unnecessary. The Firebord was just a better looking Camaro, and I couldn't tell the difference between the Gran Prix and a Monte Carlo for anything. Still, both were awesome cars.