1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blame RA for the loss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PeterKingX, Apr 22, 2009.

1. RockieGuy09

RockieGuy09 Rookie

Man, you really have problem with a certain group of posters here. You have been relentlessly attack this group of posters in almost every one of your posts. It's already up to the point that your behavior can be described as obsessive. Is it just because a few of them have wanted Yao to get the ball more which you disagree? There are tens of crazy posts or thoughts here everyday and your obsession to go after just this particular group of posters is very interesting.

2. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

not everyone living in china is native chinese, or is it the other way around? ;) stop pretending to be an american, son, it makes no sense to do so. only immigrants boast of being an american, which can't be more common for an american born in US.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Here's the part of the post you omitted just to keep things in context:

This doesn't mean Adelman doesn't want Yao to put up big numbers. It means that if the defense is throwing everything into double-teaming Yao and taking advantage of his lack of athleticism, then other players have a 4-on-3 advantage if they run the offense correctly.

Trying to force feed Yao the ball into double coverage is a disaster waiting to happen. There are likely a couple of plays where Yao can get open despite the double teaming but unless the defense pays for double teaming Yao, we are screwed.

It is an absolute necessity to get the rest of our players to take advantage of the double teams. Forcing the ball to Yao is not the answer. There are players in this league that can beat double teams on their own... about 3 of them (LeBron, Kobe and Wade) and even then, those guys generally look for their teammates when they get double teamed.

You can't give Yao the ball on the 3-point line and have him create his own offense. If an opponent wants to sandwich Yao down low, Yao's teammates must take advantage for us to be a real threat in the postseason. Once the rest of the players prove they can do that, Yao will get better looks. There is no middle ground. That is the next step we need to take. If we don't have the talent to take advantage of the double teams, we will lose and have to start over in 2009/10.

Forcing the ball to Yao is a recipe for failure and we've seen how it fails time and again. There were a number of games this season where we tried it and things fell apart, especially in crunch time. Yao can't handle the ball and he's slow. It's easy to take him out of the game by putting two bodies on him. The best PG and the best wing player in the league wouldn't be able to get Yao the ball in those circumstances. They would instead find other sources of offense by scoring themselves or setting up the other three guys on the court.

We can't be successful in a one-dimensional offense, which some of you like to call "Get Yao Ball No Matter What Cuz He Is Big Yao."

4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

So when Aldridge got 5 fouls, Przybilla got 5 fouls and Oden got 5 fouls in the last few minutes, you even didn't want to pass the ball to Yao? Btw, Yao's turnover is zero at that moment. Yes, I aree we can't be successful in a one-dimensional offence, but can we be successful without our main weapon on offence?

5. RockieGuy09

RockieGuy09 Rookie

Well, I understand what you say there. But if you have read my post carefully, I find it very interesting why you are so obsessive to go after Yao's fans. Yes a few of them have said crazy stuffs before, and so do some of the other posters. There are hundreds of new posts here everyday and anyone with half a brain can easily find posts which are even more crazy. But your track record to go after this particular group of posters simply because of a few of them have said crazy things before intrigues me.

6. BrooksBall

If Yao is able to seal his man and get open, of course we want to get him the ball. None of his teammates have a vendetta against him. They all know he is the leader of this team and our most dangerous weapon.

His presence alone requires the attention of 2 defenders. That IS being a weapon on offense. Forcing him the ball in those situations takes away the advantage.

There may be a very occasional play where Yao can free himself to receive the ball but those are few and far between when the opposing team is doubling him. And you don't want Yao shooting over or trying to get around 2 players.

The inside-out theory is when they send the extra defender AFTER Yao gets the ball. Otherwise, why force the ball to him when all he would do is kick it right back out. Very rarely has Yao proven to be effective beating a double team on his own.

If the defense is already putting two bodies on him, there is no need to go inside-out. The defense has already done the work for us. We need to take advantage of the 4-on-3 situation and make the other team pay for overcommitting their defense on Yao. Once we do that consistently, opposing teams will have to ease up the double teams and Yao will start getting more traditional looks where he is most effective.

7. BrooksBall

Because I am crazy and obsessive... there you go. Is your psychoanalysis complete? What should I do now, doc?

The main point I was trying to make is that RA is NOT to blame for Yao not getting the ball and it's ridiculous that people can't see that. If you watched the game, with average knowledge of the sport, it was blatantly obvious why this happened. Portland made a DRAMATIC change in strategy between games 1 and 2. The right thing to do when they throw all their defensive efforts into taking Yao out of the game (which is easy to do to any big in the league) is make them pay elsewhere. We didn't do that good enough and we didn't play good enough defensively as a team, including Yao. Those are the reasons we lost.

8. RockieGuy09

RockieGuy09 Rookie

Brooksball, I understand the main content of your posts are still about the x's and o's of basketball. But you have completely missed my point. Your tune to start and end some of the posts is very bitter and sounds like you have a major beef with a certain group of posters here. Is it just because a few of them have said crazy things before like 'give the ball to big Yao no matter what'? I see new posts even more crazy than that every day. So I am very curious about why.

9. BrooksBall

No, it is because a GINORMOUS number of posters endlessly say crazy things like "give the ball to big Yao no matter what" while pointing a finger at one of the better coaches in the history of the league... failing to realize that Adelman took the right approach to this game. The rest of the players failed to take full advantage of the overcommitting on Yao and therefore Portland was able to continue with their strategy. Defensively, the whole team stunk, including Yao.

10. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

loololololol.

11. RockieGuy09

RockieGuy09 Rookie

GINORMOUS? oh really?

It is said that half of the 40,000 members here are Yao's fans. I don't know if it's true or not. Let's be conservative here and say only 15,000 of them are Yao's fans. So how many of them have said crazy things like 'give the ball to big Yao no matter what'? You are the one who made the assertion so you should tell me the number. How long do you need to do that?

12. BrooksBall

1 GAZILLION!

Hang around here long enough and you'll get the picture.

Nice to meet you, by the way, and welcome to ClutchFans. :)

13. RockieGuy09

RockieGuy09 Rookie

Now you are dodging the question by giving a crazy answer. Perhaps it's your ladder to exit? :)

14. BrooksBall

That it is. I am now exiting this forum to get some rest. See you around, bro.

15. RockieGuy09

RockieGuy09 Rookie

Goodnight.

16. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

E) Blame Tracy McGrady
    F) Play Gm and make bogus trade Ideas
    G) Say we should throw games so we can get a saviour lottery pick, because we never have the right player to take us all the way

17. worm

worm New Member

Yao was merely a bait on that second game, RA did not intended to setup the offense around Yao since he already know Yao was going to be taken into special "custody" by the blazers, the plan worked until Aaron Brooks F@ up in the later 4th quarter, if there are anything to blame RA, i'd blame him for sub aaron brooks in for lowry in 4th quarter, who played exceptionally well the entire game, his drive in actually do damage and drew fouls unlike aaron brook running circles around the paint area and eventually get packed. also, aaron brooks was the one who took unreasonable shoot when there 2-3 mins remaining in 4th and he wasted the ball poccessions.

18. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Why is it always about Yao? I agree Yao should shoot or at the least touch the ball more. But this loss was NOT about Yao. We scored 103 points! at 50% shooting!! It was about our defense. Shane, Ron and Yao (who was very tentative in trying to avoid foul) could not stop Roy and Aldridge, plain and simple. Pick up this Yao argument when it actually makes sense.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with you BrooksBall. This "Blame RA" crap is getting out of hand. Everyone seems to miss the fact that we only lost the game by 4 and had it down to 2 with seconds to go. A bad call and free throws for Fernandez sealed the deal but even with that we hit a few more free throws, Scola hits a couple of open jumpers, Artests hits some more of his and we win.

I don't know if people were expecting a repeat of the first half of game one but the playoffs are about adjustments. The Blazers adjusted to take Yao out of the game and Adelman responds with Wafer, Brooks, and Lowry driving and running more.

This stuff about Adelman doesn't know how to use Yao is ridiculous. If he didn't we wouldn't have seen all those plays for Yao in game 1. Adelman knows that when the other team is playing Yao one on one you throw the ball to Yao. He also knows that when the D is collapsing on Yao you don't throw it to him because a lot of time that results in a turnover.

This isn't high school basketball where the biggest kid can do whatever he wants. These are NBA players and if they are determined to deny Yao they will. What that means is that the rest of the team has to step up.

Also as anyone who has watched teams with great post players the surest way to defeat a collapsing D is to have the other players score. Portland can't commit to collapsing on Yao if the rest of the team is burning them too.

As I've said Adelman isn't perfect but he's done a damn good job with this team.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize that Aaron Brooks almost single handedly won the game for us?

11 points in 27 seconds tells me that Adelman had a good feeling about Brooks.