1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Aaron Brooks be as good as Rajon Rondo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TMaC MVP, Apr 20, 2009.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He still has a lot of time to improve.

Brooks is actually a very unique player in the way that he is the only fast PG who can shoot very accurately as well.

The only other players that can match his speed is Parker and Ford, but those two cannot shoot.

However, Brooks will never be a good player unless he learns to pass. He also needs to gain some weight, he does not have near enough strength to finish near the basket

2. Super Von

Super Von Member

Not likely.

3. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

aaron has to learn how to initiate contact when he drives. and he needs to learn how to sell the contact more so they become fouls. that's what all the elite pgs can do. aaron can get to the hoop at will, all he needs to learn is how to jump into the defenders instead of trying to shoot it over them.

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

AB's best case scenario is a mini-Arenas without the finishing ability. With AB's skill set he can be a gunner that can score from many places on the floor. He just needs to shoot with confidence and learn to use his speed to create space more effectively.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Check Brooks' shooting percentages. His field goal percentage is bad and his three point percentage is probably about average. Tony Parker is a much, much better shooter inside the arc than Aaron Brooks.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I say his ceiling is Leandro Barbosa but I doubt he will end up being that good of an offensive player. He has similar size, speed and mentality to Barbosa.

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

two very different players. rondo is more like jason kidd.

brooks doesnt get many free throws because he doesnt penetrate that often and when he does he doesnt look for contact like rondo.

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I like that comparison

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Brooks like Rondo? They're two TOTALLY different players. If anybody has a chance to be like Rondo it's Lowry.

10. famicom

famicom Member

I'd say him and Nate Robinson are pretty similar except Nate can boom it and Aaron has that crazy angle layup thing..

11. redao

redao Member

still remember the days when Rondo was compared with Rafer here on cc.net...

12. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Barbosa has a strong body for his size so he can finish with contact.

13. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

According to the hot spots on NBA.com:

Tony Parker shoots 45.5% on mid range jumpers inside the arc. 179 for 393

Aaron shoots 45.7% on mid range Js inside the arc. 38 for 83

This is anywhere from just inside the arc to what looks like about 14-15 feet.

I dont think anyone would argue about who the better finisher inside would be. And if Rafer can improve his teardrops and inside finishes at the age of 30, surely Brooks can do the same as a soon to be 3rd year player.

Don't forget Parker was a one trick pony when he came into the league. Popps even wanted to trade him to the Nets for Jason Kidd....

14. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Clutchfans where homerism happens. :D

15. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i like to think AB's ceiling is along the lines of Damon Stoudemire aka mighty mouse. i think their game is similar. once AB develops confidence in his decision making, he'll be a lot better. he has all the raw tools.

i dont know why you would compare him to rondo. totally different players. rondo is pretty unique for a PG actually. very long arms, huge hands, athletic and strong, but still pretty fast. great defensive mentality as well. i dont know who you'd compare rondo to, but its not AB.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Can Aaron Brooks be half as good as his last game may be a better question.

17. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I am happy if Brooks is as good as Barea.

18. kkkpopov

kkkpopov Member

It's a BROOKS-fan thread.focus on the reality! I think Lory is better for ROX now.Start Lory and sit Brooks!
    Compared with Rondo,he is more like Parker,but Parker is more offensive and know how to run a teamwork :mad:

19. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

TJHats Right ! But I've been watching AB ever since he was clowning Adam Morrison Team in High School on his way To Washington State championship. He's always been a blur and his athleticism is off the chain. You can't teach speed. If he go learn to slow it down and speed it up and develop a killer crossover he could be very dangerous :p

20. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I think Devin Harris has a pretty similar game.

Both can get by their man on a regular basis. Both can knock down the pull up jumper.

Harris is a little bigger, stronger than, but Aaron has a little more range on his shot.