1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

When is enough, enough with Artest ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Since many people are pissed off with his performance last night, late in the game, and over the last couple of games, so when is enough, enough ? I have thought about this for a while now and I think, though it is obvious, I know the reason why Artest like Adelman so much. Ron can basically do whatever he wants out there without suffering any consequences.

We have seen time and time again how he has gone 1-on-2,3,4 or even 5. We have seen him throwing up bricks like crazy
    We have seen him gambling on defense way too much
    We have seen him time and time again messing with the play RA set up
    We have seen him time and time again ignoring his teammates
    We have seen him time and time again trying to take over in the 4th

Now when have we actually seen RA reprimanding him, taking him aside or simply bench him whenever he goes into his ME-mode ? Never
    That's what Artest probably likes, just let him do his business without questions asked and all the freedom in the world to do his thing. Guess what, it has cost us many games and it was all unnecessary. Artest is a very good player if he stays within the team concept, plays to his strengths, shoots the three when he's set and gets by moving the ball so not just one pass, and plays defense by using his strength and muscle and his brains of course.

Earlier in the year Artest would get like 2-3 steals a game but this gone down dramatically and he fails to realise he is hurting the team and simply does it because of a personal battle or because he just missed a shot. He can go for the steal as many times as he wants, but do it when you're sure you can get the ball and think you can reach it. So not swiping at it from behind or trying to get it while some1 has shielded off very well and picking up the foul.

I like Ron's competitiveness, hustle, heart but it just not enough in my opinion. For me, he has a lot to prove in the playoffs because right now I am ready to say goodbye to him. I don't think Artest can prove me wrong though, because he has to do extremely well for me to want him back.

So the question is: when is enough, enough ? Should he go regardless of how well he performs in the playoffs, should he only go if he messes up in the playoffs or maybe you feel he should stay regardless of his flaws ?

Please discuss, even if you totally disagree and feel he needs to get a 3-4 year ASAP, that's fine too.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

His offensive game is possibly the most scattered-brained, ill-conceived thing I have ever witnessed.

1.) Dribble for 14 seconds, jack up terrible off-balance shot.
    2.) Take man off the dribble, drive into 1 or preferably 2 7-footers and try a layup that will be easily blocked.

Frustrating to say the least.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't want him back.

I know we are here because he is on the team and his toughness allowed the team to regroup and get to the playoffs, but that is not what I want as an ultimate goal.

I want the TEAM to compete for a championship, and Ron is not the type of player that ever stays within his role, he thinks he is better than he really is...and ultimatly that will cause the team to fall short.

So, I will miss his intensity, but I want him gone, and use his contract to bring in someone like Mike Bibby, or perhaps Calderon......someone that can improve everyone else on the team, and play TEAM ball.

I do not want Ron Artest back.

DD

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

you cannot use his contract for anything, once the season ends his contract is gone.

5. DaDakota

Are you sure? Can't we do a sign and trade? We do have his bird rights.

DD

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

We may have his bird rights, but only God knows who has his bird brain.

7. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

zing!

8. DaDakota

I think he is a great guy, fun loving, approachable, competitive, but his biggest advantage (his competitive fire) is also his biggest weakness.

And a man who does not understand this, or recognize his weaknesses, is doomed to fail.

I do NOT want Ron Artest on this team next year, I want players who will play together and within the system and know their role....we already have Battier for Perimeter D....Artest is redundant.

DD

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I also like Ron Artest, I think he's a great guy. I like his silliness on the court sometimes, but sometimes I just wonder... how the hell did our season come down to whether or not Ron Artest is going to be a reliable offensive threat?

10. DaDakota

Remove TMac - Insert Artest.

Different players but the lack of accountability remains.

DD

11. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

He's not the 'clutch' player we need, or the cluth player he thinks he is. Wish Rick would've told him earlier in the season 'if you keep trying to be the closer and ignoring team offence, you will be benched for the closing minutes every game.'

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The obvious solution is we get a mad scientist to inject Artest's competitive fire and toughness into Tmac.

Oh and give him a few bionic super knees too.

13. she'sdone

she'sdone Member

DD, maybe you were then right. We should have traded him for someone.

14. DaDakota

I think we need to let them both go.....change directions. This team is not going to win anything with Tmac or Artest leading, they are both too flawed and too proud to understand their flaws.

I am not sure there was much of a market for him, I think the Rocket's were shopping him.....and then decided to roll the dice with him.

They played well in the regular season, but his lack of team play will cost this team....and it is what all the fans from all the teams he has played for end up saying, they love his fire, hate his game.....it is just not as good as HE thinks it is....

DD

15. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

I liked the way we had him at the beginning of the season which is coming off the bench...

If Tmac comes back strong next season we can bench Artest and have him as a very good 6th man

16. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

Are we going to use brent barry in the playoffs??? The way to fixing ron ron is to tell him to post up or drive TO the basket and stop chucking up 3's

17. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

What I don't understand... Is how this guy got by in Sacramento and Indiana? I remember him being a good offensive player.

18. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I don't think Artest will accept a bench role. The chemistry will be destroyed.

19. DaDakota

GOOD LORD...NO !!!!!!

Ron is horrible as a post up player, and he is putrid as a driving player....so many turnovers and blocked shots.

Go to The hot spots site and look up Artest's numbers.

In the paint.....IN THE PAINT...he is a .451% shooter....that is on layups and dunks.....I mean that is AWFUL.....

Ron's post up game is one of the most overated things on this BBS, he is not a good post up player, it only works against CERTAIN matchups where he has a strength advantage.

DD

20. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

He draws fouls that way, at least by him posting up he has a better chance to score