1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't think even JVG could put together 53 wins in the current western conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by code_red, Apr 16, 2009.

1. code_red

code_red Member

Seems to be alot of Adelman h8 around here. Alot of fans forget we have a $20 million hole in our roster, and Adelman has somehow scraped together 53 wins despite the loss of $20 million in our roster, and the loss of our starting PG for the last half a decade.

I call BS that JVG could have done better with this roster, as he had TMac and Yao for the majority of the season we made the playoffs - even in 06/07, Yao played 48 games, more than 1/2 of 82 games.

JVG at least had a healthy TMac and Yao, while they were playing. Adelman has had to grind out 53 wins with a gimpy TMac this year - a TMac playing so poorly, that TMac COST us more games than he helped us.

Look at all the other western conference teams heading into the playoffs with their best roster. All the other western conference teams have their best two players available for the playoffs. Even Ginobili is only the 3rd best player on the Spurs, while arguably, we may have lost our best or second best player in TMac.

I don't think there is another coach available on the market, that could do what Adelman has done. If you think there is another coach available on the market that could do what Adelman did with a $20 million hole in the roster, please name him. Fortunately, it's not the fans that make the decision on Adelman, and Les and Morey will have enough good sense to keep Adelman for next year.

2. natrix964909

natrix964909 Member

You must forget that JVG had a 13 man hole in his roster; as in, Jimmy Jackson was his third best player.

3. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Ding, ding.

I haven't understood all the RA hate myself.

All over the NBA shows, ESPN, TNT, etc... they are mentioning Adelman as a possible COY...

That does not happen, getting put on the top 3 Coach of the Year lists, on accident.

Adelman is still Rick the Ruler!
    [​IMG]

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm not sure Adelman or JVG have what it takes to get a team into elite status. I know Rick has done it before but he just doesn't seem as effective as he did in his Portland and Sacramento days. It just feels like he has lost his feel for the game.

5. natrix964909

natrix964909 Member

I think Adelman is a great coach. I just think he is isn't the best choice for this team. Our offense needs to run through Yao and apparently Adelman can't devise a way to get him the ball when he is fronted.

We weren't even trying to get him the ball in the 3rd quarter, we just ran a 4 man offense. It was one of the most frustrating things I've seen sports-wise. Yao's on fire and we can't even get him the ****ing ball.

6. code_red

code_red Member

JVG had a healthy enough TMac in 06/07, and TMac was playing good ball in 06/07. Yao managed to play 48 games that year. Sorry, there is no way JVG puts together 53 wins with a $20 million hole in the roster. At best, JVG would match Adelman's record, but I doubt JVG could get more wins than Adelman.

7. code_red

code_red Member

Cauze all the other analysts on those shows aren't Rocket fans, LOL. Fortunately, Morey and Les should have enough common sense to sign Adelman for next year.

8. natrix964909

natrix964909 Member

What team has ever been able to win with two all-stars and a steaming pile of **** around them. Can you name a non-Jordan team? I don't think so. JVG was giving significant minutes to such quality players as Juwan Howard and Bonzi Wells. Jake Tsakalidis was playing more than 10 minutes a game.

Also, remember how we continued to get completely screwed by the refs in Utah.

9. Impper

Impper Contributing Member

Those Jordan teams weren't anywhere near a steaming pile of garbage. Grant/Rodman/etc. would be Marions or better in today's league. They didn't have slouches for guards/centers either.

10. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

you guys keep mentioning the 20mil dollar hole. wasnt artest brought in as insurance in case yao or tmac gets hurt for the season? he wasnt brought in to form our own big three. he was brought in to pick up the slack if one of our two stars got injured. so no, jvg would probably have a better record because he knows what to do, and makes great plays and employs great defense.

also, during jvg's tenure, you only had tmac and yao. your best player after those two were battier, and juwan howard before battier came in. imagine if jvg had scola, landry, brooks, von wafer, lowry and Artest back then. id bet you every team out there would be scared at us. a defensive minded coach with deke, chuck, battier and artest on one team and then you have a dominant center, a great SG when healthy and a pair of underrated but offense difference making pair of scolandry.

and also, this is probably the worst western conference in recent history! only one team really stands out, LA. the rest arent really at par with their previous iterations. San antonio has a banged up duncan/ginobili most of the season. utah's banged up as well and out of sorts when playing out there. dallas has been a joke ever since their fall from grace. new orleans only has chris paul going for them. portland is strong and deep but relatively young. denver hasnt been taken seriously until billups came.

in the past years when jvg was still coach, all these playoffs teams had chances at going to the finals. houston was the only team that looked bad on paper but managed to get to the finals every single time except when both yao and tmac got injured. he made the rockets overachieve every single year.

so again, no. jvg would have had a better record with this team and would probably be in the championship conversation along with LA.

11. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

fixed

12. code_red

code_red Member

THE SAME BONZI WELLS WHO WAS PLAYING QUITE WELL UNDER ADELMAN LESS THAN 2 YEARS AGO. Many on the board didn't even want to trade Bonzi when he was having a good run under Adelman! Have you considered that maybe it was Adelman that brought out the best in Bonzi Wells but JVG couldn't?

Why is it that Wafer sucked everywhere else until he played under Adelman? What about Lowry? And Bonzi?

13. code_red

code_red Member

LOL. You lost all your credibility with this line.

14. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

It's really not as good as the past few years. Denver at 2nd? We could easily beat that team in a 7 game series. Mavericks have fallen and same have the Suns. Hornets are overrated and won't win anything. Lakers are the only true threat.

I believe though.

15. worzel gummidge

What's funny is JVG had four seasons with Yao to work out a solution for when he's being fronted yet Adelman is at fault for not having figured this out.

16. Pringles

Pringles Member

Jake getting more than 10 minutes a game? Uh... that stat has more meaning than it shows. He didn't play ever game; he only played garbage minutes.

Bonzi Wells getting significant minutes? HAHA. Were you watching? He was on the sidelines on a stationary bike.

Funny you mention Bonzi, because he proves Rick is a great coach. If Jeff stayed, there was no way Bonzi would have stayed and picked up his player option with 2 million. Rick comes in; Bonzi saw an opportunity to regain his reputation. Then bam... his trade value goes up; we get Bobby. Who in returns, turn into Artest. So all this talk about, Oh... Jeff would win a lot more with this talent is just bogus. First of all, with Jeff, there would be no Artest. Second of all, even with Artest, I doubt Jeff could have won 53 games without Tracy, or 22 straight games with Yao out half of it.

17. battousai

battousai Member

you guys are forgetting something.

during JVG era, we got CD as GM. Adelman has Morey...

we are way talented then when JVG was the head coach. our bench our team is better, therefore I give more credits to Morey than Adelman.

He still a good coach but sometime his in game adjustments are questionable.

18. ringin08

ringin08 Member

I agree with your analogy and think that although we lost Tmac, the team is overachieving while RA is underachieving. For many it is hard to separate what the team achieves from RA.

But while I think JVG would have done better with this group of players, going back to an old coach is like getting back with an old girlfriend. 95% of those never work out the second time around either, so it may be better to just look elsewhere.

But RA has to put out in the playoffs now, or get shipped out afterwards. Even without Tmac, this team should not be another first round exit team. That would be unachieving just as much if not more than all the previous seasons. Not having Tmac is no scapegoat for RA.

19. Pringles

Pringles Member

When a young player develops, the one to praise is the GM and the coach.

Jeff's weak points is not developing players to their full potential. He tends to get the young players for his system. Example? Luther Head and V-Span.

Luther has amazing athleticism. He never showed that except for that dunk on Ronnie Turiaf. V-Span complained that he is not a shooter, yet he played a shooter for Jeff.

Landry, I praise Jack Sikma and Rick for him. Morey got him, but after the summer leagues, a poster from this forum met him and asked about him, Morey was apparently very disappointed in Landry. But... after quite a while, Landry turned out to be a steal.

Brooks seems to be Rick's player. Apparently, Rick watched a lot of Oregon games when he was unemployed.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

When a rookie Chuck Hayes is a starter under one regime, and now third on the depth chart under another - it's a sign that the team has gotten deeper.

End failed thread.