1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets vs. Blazers] Review of '08-'09 Head-to-Head Matchup

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

[​IMG] VS. [​IMG]

Head to Head TEAM Averages

[​IMG]

Head to Head PLAYER Averages

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Game 1

November 7, 2008 @ Rose Garden

Blazers win 101-99 in OT

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7XpjX3uFBb8&hl=en&fs=1&ap=%
    2526fmt%3D18"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess"value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7XpjX3uFBb8&hl=en&fs=1&ap=%2526fmt%3D18"type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560"height="340"></embed></object>

Notable Rockets DNP's: Shane Battier (Injury - Inactive), Von Wafer (Coach's Decision)
    Notable Blazers DNP's: Greg Oden (Injury - Inactive), Martell Webster (Injury - Inactive)

Box Score

[​IMG]

Game 2

February 24, 2009 @ Toyota Center

Rockets win 98-94

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XnVpV_1Sw8w&hl=en&fs=1&ap=%
    2526fmt%3D18"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess"value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XnVpV_1Sw8w&hl=en&fs=1&ap=%2526fmt%3D18"type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560"height="340"></embed></object>

Notable Rockets DNP's: Tracy McGrady (Injury - Inactive), Carl Landry (Injury - Inactive)
    Notable Blazers DNP's: Greg Oden (Injury - Inactive), Martell Webster (Injury - Inactive)

Box Score

[​IMG]

Game 3

April 5, 2009 @ Toyota Center

Rockets win 102-88

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8m6RT_fccA&hl=en&fs=1&ap=%
    2526fmt%3D18"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess"value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8m6RT_fccA&hl=en&fs=1&ap=%2526fmt%3D18"type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560"height="340"></embed></object>

Notable Rockets DNP's: Tracy McGrady (Injury - Inactive), Carl Landry (Injury - Inactive)
    Notable Blazers DNP's: Martell Webster (Injury - Inactive)

Box Score

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. FFz

FFz Member

can you include last year's matchup as well? Haven't we historically owned the blazers even with roy on their team?

3. ClutchCityReturns

Sorry man, but I'm not up to it. I did one of these breakdowns for each of our possible opponents (Portland, NO, Dallas, SA) so I could post it shortly after we knew our matchup. I didn't get any sleep last night, quite literally.

4. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Nice work man

We have the best chance against Portland.

5. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Good thread. I think we can beat them.

6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Wow we basically won both those games without Landry. Now adding him in there, we just will have worry about their 3-pt shooting.

7. Bamushake

Bamushake Member

8. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Yao shooting 40 percent for the season series?

Looks like our backcourt is going to have to play well for us to win the series. I'm not optimistic.

9. BaiHua

BaiHua Member

10. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

So will they front Yao for the 1st time this season, that is the question.

I like us in the series, Ron needs to show up, show us why we got you.

He was Ron "Spurs Killer" Artest in the postseason before, but I dont like this shooting slump he is in going into the post season.

You get 2.5 days to get your act together Rockets, give us something to be proud of in April/May/June.

11. dedong22

dedong22 Member

hey, maybe we lost on purpose ;)

12. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

You are right its going to have to be on Artest, Yao will show up and have his numbers. If Artest doesn't act stupid and doesnt shoot much Rox will win, but I dont have much faith if it goes back to Portland for game 7.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Blazers up 19 at half vs Nugs. Assuming they win, gonna have the 2nd best home record in the conference behind the Lakers. And 4th best home record in the NBA... Better than Rockets, Jazz, Denver. Only behind Cleveland, Lakers, Boston..

Blazers needed that home court edge maybe more than the Rockets mentally. Cuz they know they're an upstart team that can take care of business there. Every team is tough though, no cakewalk path anywhere.....

Looks like Aldridge is the guy to key on. Landry only played 1 game against them this year so he'll be nice to add in the mix. Blazers have a big edge in blocked shots. They have length and athleticism all over so no big mystery. Not like its helped them beat the Rockets anyways.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Rockets in 5 games. Maybe Utah will push LA to 7 games and wear them out a bit for the Rockets.

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Blazers aren't going to be a cakewalk. if i'm a betting man, the Rockets will not get out of the 1st round....again. :(

16. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

Nice work, thanks!

17. Fiah

Fiah Member

Just look at their home record people.

18. ClutchCityReturns

To me, the keys are getting early leads so we can put Chuck Hayes on Aldridge for major minutes, and keeping them (especially Przybilla) off the offensive boards. The Blazers absolutely crushed us on the offensive glass in that one game in Portland 16 to 5, which according to their field goal percentage, probably accounted for an extra 14 to 18 points.

The playoffs are a different beast, but I like this match up as well as any because the things we need to do to win are things we've done pretty well in the 3 regular season games.

If we shoot .422 from 3 and have a 2.3 assist/turnover ratio in the playoffs, it's hard to see us losing even without home court.

19. houstonsnk

houstonsnk Member

But we could have won that Home game. And they really seem nervous too.

20. rocksclo

rocksclo Member

i am a rocket fan but i think if por gets HCA we are not gonna get out of first round.... again.