1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about Houston Radio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by carmichael dave, Apr 10, 2009.

1. UofTOrange

UofTOrange Contributing Member

1. 1560 - It's really not close.
    2. 790 - When Paulilo is on in the afternoons it is really hard for me. I love the Sean and John show on 1560 but Charlie is probably the most knowledgeable sports guy in Houston
    3. 610 - The morning show is horrific. I love the Texans and it's where i go if I want talk about them. The Rockets talk post game and pre game is great as well. They do a fantastic job of covering those two teams. Other than that it doesn't have a ton of redeemable qualites

2. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

I like Adam -- though he shares a definite motormouth tendency with Vandermeer -- but Wexler is a real Rockets fan and I've noticed he spends a lot of time on them during the season. The Night Shift has always featured lots of Rockets talk; the recently-canned Danny Vera (mistake to let him go), and Wex are both big Rockets fans, so they liked discussing the team.

I'll agree with that ... I think Clanton and Lord could work. Unlike many here, though, I don't think Rich Lord is really all that bad. He's kind of a buffoon, but he has a certain Dangerfieldesqe comic-relief-with-sports-knowledge thing going that doesn't annoy me too much.

Matt and Wex (they were on together for a couple of days this week) just have great chemistry and their radio personas complement each other well. Cougar Matt is funny, but he's just isn't as funny with Rich as he was with Wex.

Great to hear it, because I always liked Vera's sports and pop culture knowledge and his relentless smartassitude.

Holy crap, I think I just met myself posting under an alias! ;)

#42 busta_cap, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  3. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Danny's Diatribes are awesome, been reading them for like 2 1/2 years now.

4. Rockets0708

Rockets0708 Member

1. 1560 The Game
    2. 1560 The Game
    3. 1560 The Game
    4. 1560 The Game

Hands down, best sports station in Houston. Screw the rest

5. Puff

Puff Member

I should not really be responding to this, but I will say this...

We are very fortunate in this market to have the different types of sports radio that we have...

There are different styles that can appeal to most... As for my station, we are not the corporate giants. We have some advantages in that, but since we are the new kids in town, we also don't have the same access as the flagship stations. In due time. As for our signal, come June, we will have a night time signal. And one of the names you guys have mentioned often would fit perfect in there.

As for interviews, I think 1560 does just fine there...

I have friends at the other stations.... Depends what you like. I just knew there was only one place for me, and that was 1560. And that was before there was a 1560.

Take that POW

Go Rockets

6. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Trying to land a job in Houston Dave?

I like 1560 the most and Adam Clanton on 610. 790 sucks. I listen to the morning show on 610 sometimes but Marc and Andre seem like passive Rockets fans and it seems sometimes like Marc is rooting against us to prove his points. 1560 is laid back which I like.. and they always have p*rn stars on.

7. carmichael dave

I dont think I was the other guy Puff was alluding to.

No alterior motives, just was curious. I was talking about it with another Houston resident a couple of days ago, so it made me curious to know what RocketFan thought.

Honestly, I think other than some fun Ron-Ron stuff I could bring, the rest of my show would never work there, especially after hearing about some people's pro/cons with the rest of the air talent already there.

8. Miguel

Whatever it is, would probably fit in at 1560. Like one of their e-spots says. "We do the weird stuff"

9. Puff

Puff Member

Carmichael is my dawg.... He knows that...

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Danny Vera finally getting a timeslot on 1560?

1560 fanboys and cronies are kinda annoying, they remind me of your typical wrestling fans and MMORPG fans combined into one. But Puff is the man.

And what's up with that mentally r****ded person schtick that John and Lance do in the morning? Howard Stern has already overkilled that bit with Beetlejuice.

11. Miguel

Words cut deep, yo.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Oh, I didn't know you were one of those, my bad. Thought you were just a ferret or a weasel. :p

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Ron ArTetley??

14. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

I like the variety on Radio...

sometimes I'm in the mood for pop culture talk...Hoffy & co-host...
    sometimes I'm feeling like I want to improve my vocabulary with Charlie...
    sometimes I'm wanting to hear some soul on 610 with Dre & the new & improved Vandermeer
    sometimes I like the old school, Chicago/Creole/goofy style of John & Lance
    sometimes I like the camp fire stories of RJ & the General
    sometimes I like it straight, Dulati style

Every show has dead spots--B-, C quality--or has a caller with an uninteresting or beat up topic and we are lucky that we can change the dial when it gets like that.

15. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

obviously, tackling a question like this is all opinion based, which we are all full of. :D

for me, rather than ranking the stations, i'll say i like and dislike aspects of each... and even that varies from show to show. i think yodels summed it up pretty well with his post, even though he neglected (as with most posts in here) 97.5 espn radio. for people looking for national sports topics and can't stand rome (me), espn delivers a solid alternative.

and, not that you have time to scroll through multiple pages but here are a few of the previous threads, it's interesting to read the comments there and then see how things have unfolded (these threads are close to 2-3 years old).

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=136688&page=1
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=131930&page=1
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=118651&page=1

16. clos4life

clos4life Member

I used to hate 610 because all they ever talked about was Texans/Astros except during/after games so I would do listen to 790 for the most part. This year they have talked alot more about the Rockets and I've listened to them almost exclusively on my morning drive, except during commercials when I switch back to 790.

No disrespect to 1560 and the Nolayups people, but the whole station just seems like a lower quality production no matter what time of the day I tune in. I guess I'm just not much for off the wall sportstalk.

97.5FM I only listen to the Calvin show. They are a good station but with a national outlook on things which I don't care to hear for. I would rather read national headlines and listen to local sports.

17. busta_cap

You mean Gilbert? I can't stand that mushmouth freak and change the station every time I hear him.

18. busta_cap

If that's Danny (I know you might not be able to say), I'll be happy about it. He'll probably need a cohost, but it'll be great to hear him back on the air regularly.

19. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

he's a weasel

1560 > hot 95 or whatever its called (what up rodney)>all other stations

20. ibm

ibm Member

overall, 610 is still the best. but maybe it's just a habit thing.

790 is terrible. and i don't care about baseball.

1560 is okay. but i don't listen to stuff outside of the rockets.

and calvin murphy show is the only thing i listen to (like once or twice a week) on 97.5.